Author Topic: Electrolytes  (Read 702 times)

Sharon

Electrolytes
« on: June 29, 2019, 12:17:30 PM »
I have heard that Sjogren's may have an adverse effect on our electrolytes.
Has anybody tried balancing electrolytes
and in what ways has this actually helped you (or not)?
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

SjoGirl

Re: Electrolytes
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 02:38:59 PM »
Other than drinking Gatorade or coconut water not really. I have found that helps but in certain circumstances only, e.g., extreme heat.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 08:39:00 PM »
I have never heard that after doing research for all these years. However, there is a condition called RTA or renal tubular acidosis that can affect the kidneys. It also sets up hard to manage potassium and sodium levels. There have been couple of people on here over the years with this condition. Weakness is one of the symptoms. Something more to do research on.

Of course, many times we tend to perspire a lot which in itself can cause us to have some trouble with our electrolytes. Also, the exocrine effect (of Sjogrens) which involves so many of the secreting glands, can affect pituitary and other glands that can affect our fluid management, blood pressure, etc and management of the electrolytes. So, electrolyes possibly could be affected but as you probably noticed we don't see much regarding this nor do we see people speaking of this type of diagnosis. Good luck. Irish

Sharon

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 02:51:31 PM »
Electrolytes are currently a topic of interest in many SS groups, with many people claiming
that adding elctrolytes to their water helps them feel more hydrated and less fatigued.
Some say that our electrolytes become imbalanced because of the large amounts of water we drink
due to our dryness while others mention that SS causes problems absorbing minerals.
I really don't know if any of these theories are correct, but personally, since the onset of SS my magnesium levels have be constantly low even though I take high doses of magnesium supplements. My sodium levels are also strangely low.

Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 03:48:36 AM »
I would be very cautious about attempting to alter electrolyte levels on my own. There is a very fine balance and interaction of all the electrolytes as they interact with each other and outside influences to maintain equilibrium. The kidneys and lungs also play a part.

Magnesium interacts with Sodium and potassium, and their connection to muscle activity, and low sodium has been demonstrated to reduce the level of sodium in muscle tissue while increasing the level in serum (which is why I imagine you described you sodium as "strangely" low, Sharon, since a low Mg would be expected to increase it slightly)

Electrolyte imbalances should be discussed with your practitioner, and levels checked to determine and monitor changes. Going by symptoms alone is very inaccurate since the symptoms of imbalance are varied and vague, from muscle aches (common with so many other diagnoses) to confusion or heart beat irregularities.

As with many other health concerns, prevention and a stable lifestyle are your best bet: balance fluid intake with a variety of liquids, not just "free" water; keep an eye on the colour of urine, to note any thing that would indicate dehydration (very dark urine) or overhydration ( pale almost water like urine); watch for any localized unexplained swelling in extremities that might indicate fluid retention; episodes of aching muscles that are consistently relieved with salty snacks or electrolytes drinks;symptomatic episodes of racing heart or irregular beats; unusual or sudden changes in cognitive behaviour. As I said, the symptoms and markers of electrolyte imbalance are varied and vague.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

sixty

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 08:54:07 AM »
This talk of electrolytes is very interesting and has made me want to purchase a drink to see if it makes a difference.  Would drinking a bottle or two of Gatorade show any kind of result?  TIA!!

Sharon

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 01:19:17 PM »
Thanks Linda, that's very important info!
My doctor does not seem interested in figuring this out so I'm on my own here.
I really only drink water and no other fluids since I have adverse reactions to many things,
but it just seems to go through me and not hydrate me.
A urologist I saw just suggested to "stop drinking so much", but I only drink the recommended amount of water per day.
I did try an electrolyte drink and I felt it helped me with fatigue, so...still trying to figure this out.

sixty- I don't know what all the ingredients are in Gatorade. Some of those energy drinks are full of sugar so maybe if you could find one without added sugar it could give you some indication.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 09:41:25 PM »
I don't know what others think, but I would not get overly concerned about drinking Gatorade. A person can take in too much potassium and get in trouble. The potassium also plays a big part in heart function. If we eat a sensible diet we should be ok.

However, if you happen to be outside and working enough to cause you to really sweat drinking some Gatorade would probably be safe. The thing I notice is that my body tells me when I need potassium. I sweat a whole lot and my body will crave bananas or orange juice. I do believe it is much safer to eat bananas and drink orange juice.

The sports addicts and long distance runners are the ones who need the liquid and the minerals in the Gatorade. I find the problem with Gatorade is that it is so blah that it doesn't seem to quench that thirst or need for potassium like orange juice. I think it would be easy to over do on it.

Some of the problems we have with the Sjogrens is that we are thirsty but our body is not as dry as our mouth is. It is better to just drink or sip slowly through out the day. I have times when I drink a lot and other times not so much. The kidneys will excrete what our body needs. We are a fine tuned machine. I would guess that if our doctor isn't doing a lot of blood work with electrolytes etc., it is because our blood work is maintaining a pretty normal level.

Also remember that many times we will have a blood level that is a couple of points above to below normal.........this is not a problem. It is something that doc will watch over time but generally it is just one of those things that happens. Blood work is not perfect and is affected by humidity, our hydration and sometimes the person doing the test.

Another thing that really helps me is to suck on ice. I am looking at countertop ice makers to see if I can find one that is cheap enough and will make good ice. I am making ice cube trays all day long!!! Take care all. Irish

sixty

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 06:46:11 AM »
Thank you for that Irish.  I remember a previous Dr. telling me I had too much Potassium, so I suppose Gatorade would be a negative.

Skylar

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2019, 07:16:17 AM »
I don't know what others think, but I would not get overly concerned about drinking Gatorade. A person can take in too much potassium and get in trouble. The potassium also plays a big part in heart function. If we eat a sensible diet we should be ok.

However, if you happen to be outside and working enough to cause you to really sweat drinking some Gatorade would probably be safe. The thing I notice is that my body tells me when I need potassium. I sweat a whole lot and my body will crave bananas or orange juice. I do believe it is much safer to eat bananas and drink orange juice.

The sports addicts and long distance runners are the ones who need the liquid and the minerals in the Gatorade. I find the problem with Gatorade is that it is so blah that it doesn't seem to quench that thirst or need for potassium like orange juice. I think it would be easy to over do on it.

Some of the problems we have with the Sjogrens is that we are thirsty but our body is not as dry as our mouth is. It is better to just drink or sip slowly through out the day. I have times when I drink a lot and other times not so much. The kidneys will excrete what our body needs. We are a fine tuned machine. I would guess that if our doctor isn't doing a lot of blood work with electrolytes etc., it is because our blood work is maintaining a pretty normal level.

Also remember that many times we will have a blood level that is a couple of points above to below normal.........this is not a problem. It is something that doc will watch over time but generally it is just one of those things that happens. Blood work is not perfect and is affected by humidity, our hydration and sometimes the person doing the test.

Another thing that really helps me is to suck on ice. I am looking at countertop ice makers to see if I can find one that is cheap enough and will make good ice. I am making ice cube trays all day long!!! Take care all. Irish
Wise advice. I remember being served cut up oranges in high school after sporting competitions. That?s still a smart way to replenish.

Liz D.

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 04:39:27 AM »
Irish,

Eating ice all day long was what I did when I was severely anemic.  It was an uncontrollable craving.  Are you possibly anemic or does the ice just soothe your dry mouth?

Liz D.
55 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 400 mg; Synthroid 100mcg; Evoxac, Flovent, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., Hormone Replacement Therapy, vitamins, calcium, flaxseed, biotin

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 10:28:31 AM »
I am anemic and have been off and on for years. The past 1 1/2 years I have been given IV iron and am getting an IV on this Friday again. I know about the pica or  crazy desire to chew ice when anemic. Years ago I was going through 10 trays of ice a day. I didn't chew it all cause ice melts and I loved my cold Pepsi but I sure chewed a lot that time.

I don't chew much ice now but I do suck on it. Put a bunch of cubes in a glass with water or pop and it melts fast. No matter what I want a lot of ice in my beverage. The cold beverages help to quench my thirst which has been unquenchable for years. Probably part of the Sjogrens also. Thanks Irish