Author Topic: Is anyone having normal weather for the season where you live??  (Read 222 times)

irish

• Global Moderator
I am just curious if anyone is having normal weather where they live. In southern MN we haven't had much warmer weather. We are having some rain again this week and temps have been in low 70's and sometimes in the 60"s. I was out and about last weekend and the crops haven't even been planted in some fields. Where they are planted there wasn't green showing through much.

It is a really unsettling time for the farmers that is for sure. The one thing that is growing good is the grass. The flowering trees and shrubs are looking good also. The peonies have been really large and showy this year and lilacs are lasting a long time. We still need the crops cause there are a lot of people to feed.

I talked to my BIL in Mesa last weekend and he said it was 105 on Sunday and they have been having really hot days. Thanks all. irish

sixty

Re: Is anyone having normal weather for the season where you live??
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 08:51:35 PM »
I think we've been having normal weather here in western Washington except it's been dryer than usual.  It's been a little rainy and in the mid 60's to 70 the past few days.  It usually doesn't get hot and steadily sunny til after the 4th of July.   We are having a major draught tho and it scares me because of the possible wild fires.  I go over the items I would grab if I had to bug out quickly.  It's a scary thought.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 09:49:23 PM »
I don't blame you!!! Fire and Flood scare me the most. I live in tornado country and that is plenty scary but I always think that a persons options are a little better with the tornados. Obviously not the huge tornados though that is for sure.

I forgot to mention that actually our weather feels like it is about a month behind. We have had some very cool nights. Right nowo it is 63 and it is midnight so that is a little better. Generally though we have warmer weather and some really hot and humid weather in July, August and sometimes much of September.

Sorry to hear of the drought out in Washington, I had no idea. We have had a lot of rain in the midwest and sort of shake our heads when it clouds up. Take care. Irish

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 03:16:32 AM »
I know we are a week to 10 days behind, based on my garden diary. Everything bloomed much later this year, and we even had the furnace running a full two weeks after we usually put in the AC!

Even Nova Scotia's Apple Blossom Festival turned into an Apple Bud Festival! (not nearly as beautiful, but still a fun time LOL)

Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 01:59:54 PM »
Thanks for the weather report up your way. Irish

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 10:38:29 PM »
Linda, If you show up and read this I wanted to tell you that I watched House Hunters on the house and garden channel tonight. They were in Halifax with a couple who was looking at a home to buy on the ocean. What gorgeous country you live in. Unbelieveable. If I was younger and healthier I would sure visit as it looks as almost the most perfect place on earth. Irish

Carebear

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 11:27:50 PM »
We are no longer in serious wildfire danger up here in Alberta but that's because we had typhoon-like rains, and in some cases there was also snow.  That's right.  Snow in June.  And it wasn't just in the mountains either.  There was one day that half the province was blanketed.

We can expect another week and a half of rain showers. Not the best weather conditions for our bodies.

It was so cold and damp one day that I turned on the furnace. Yuck.  Hard to believe that we had a small heat wave two weeks ago.

Oh well.   It's green now anyway.
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 05:07:03 AM »
Carebear, I'm so glad your safe! Unfortunately not all of Alberta is in the clear, up north where my son lives, they are still under evac alert, even though they are taking in evacuees themselves. At this point, with wildfires all around them and most surrounding communities like LaCrete evacuated, Fort Vermillion threatened and High Level seemingly surrounded, I'm not even sure how they would evacuate, other than another harrowing "run through the flames" scenario like Fort Mac or air lift  :-\ I know my son mentioned Calgary as a possible destination, but he didn't say how he planned to get there.

Here on the East coast, we have a slightly different problem, most of the time we are still experiencing "sprinter" although with yesterday being the first official day of summer, I guess it's now "sprimmer". Yesterday we had heavy rains and high winds, and the temps were down to low teens C, or around 50 F. Everything seems to be 10 days to 2 weeks behind in growth.  I have very determinedly worn my sandals a couple of times, even though it felt like I was risking frostbite! We do get the occasional beautiful day, and I'm very grateful for them, they just need to spread out and get some continuity!

Thanks, Irish, yes, this is a truly beautiful part of the world, with amazing seascapes and rolling hills, remarkable old architecture, historic sites and beautiful modern creations as well. I like to think we have it all! I've traveled right across this huge country, and found unique beauty of so many different kinds all along the way, from the wild seas off the Maritimes (both coasts) to the peaceful, almost meditative grain fields in the prairies, and the raw strength of the rockies to the enduring power of the weathered granite that Yellowknife in the NWT is built on! Across the US I see the same variety of beauty, although I haven't ventured much farther south than Massachusetts.

If you have the chance, COME! Scenery and history not withstanding, the people and the food are worth the trip!
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 12:32:12 AM »
There was a lot of rain on Friday evening in MN and some of the surrounding states. UP to 6 inches in some areas. There was 2 to 4 inches around me with some flooding of the streams and rivers that were full from all the other rain.

The good thing is the crops are starting to look a better. ON my drive to the lake I saw some corn that was a short knee high. With this rain and the warmer temps things should improve some. Such a concern for the farmers. Sad news is the strawberries have been behind schedule cause of the rain and cool temps. Hope it doesn't get so hot that they rot on the vine. We are just never satisfied. Take care all. Irish

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2019, 03:56:16 AM »
We were under a tornado warning Saturday! This is not a common occurrence here, with only 8 recorded tornadoes in the last 10 years, and even at that, our province is the most common location in Atlantic Canada. It's just not our thing I guess, There was a touchdown, over a lake, but the rest of us had heavy rain, high winds and some amazing thunder and lightening, no damage recorded that I'm aware of.

A friend from away asked what to pack for a visit later this month, based on recent weather. I told her it goes from 35C daytime to 11C at night, some days stuck at 22C with heavy fog or rain, others sunny, bright and windy; pack EVERYTHING! She's in Australia so is used to varied weather, but it seems that down under, the extremes come and stay for a while, it doesn't switch seasons every 12 hours or so.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2019, 02:05:30 PM »
I watch the weather channel a lot and one of their shows on tornados they stated that the US has more tornados that anywhere else. I would add that there seem to be more of them lately although most of us in MN can attest to the fact that we have spent a lot of minutes/hours of our life watching the weather and in our basement.

If anyone out of the US can watch the weather channel you will see the result of the tornados that have hit the middle states such as Oklahoma and Nebrasks, Missouri. Horrible, terrible destructive storms that have been videos. Unbelieveable in size. A few of the tornados have been over 2 miles across. It just depends on the air currents. We will see what this year holds for the world weather wise. Stay safe all. Irish

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 02:48:47 PM »
It is wet, hot and extremely humid here in Ohio.
Farmers are weeks behind on planting b/c of heavy rains.
Ohio lakes have awful algae problems.
Not normal weather in Ohio.

I have not been able to handle the heat since I got sjogrens. With the a/c on 75 I am sitting here
sweating. If I would make the bed, change clothes, sweat runs down my forehead to nose and drips
off. I have sweat running down my spine to the seat of my pants. Eventually I change my clothes.

Never do my hands,feet sweat.

I am already looking forward to fall.

Shelly
medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

Carebear

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 05:28:25 PM »
It's cold and wet in Western Canada.  When the sun pokes through every so often,  we forget what it is!  Temperatures have been as low as 5 degrees Celsius at night, with highs in the mid to high teens - Celsius.  The crops are suffering here as well. 

I'm not unhappy about the coolness, myself.   The rain is harder to enjoy though.
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 06:17:58 PM »
Wow, what a lot of weird weather you folks tell about and only in a few areas. It rains a whole lot in MN and the humidity is high. I can relate to the sweat running off  my nose. It also runs behind my ear lobes and I get sweat burns in that area.

It rained all the way up on my drive to my sons house yesterday and was so muggy. The steam just rose off his asphalt driveway. Today I had my infusion and it was cloudy all day. Sun came out about 3pm and around 4pm there was a tremendous cloudburst. It is going to rain again tonight. The clouds have to come from somewhere!!!!

My brother said the monsoon season is due to start in AZ so maybe that is at the crux of all these clouds and wind. Stay safe everyone. The farmers have their job cut out for them this year. Irish