Author Topic: Driver's License Suspended  (Read 700 times)

vrystaat

Driver's License Suspended
« on: June 12, 2019, 07:50:53 PM »
Has anyone had their license suspended after failing the written and/or behind the wheel tests due to Sjögren's Syndrome and/or Myositis?
I just did, due to a momentary lack of concentration in changing lanes. I don't think I can get it back, because they are very aggressive and strict in my State.
Has this happened to anyone else?
Sjogrens;Polymyositis;Polyneuropathy;Gastritis;GERD, Autonomic Neuropathy, Neurological complications, Trigeminal Neuralgia,Gamma 3 globulin low;Multiple infections;Brain fog; Ocular problems - blepharitis, scleritiis, dry eye,severe eye pain. Possible Inclusion body Myositis.Currently Endstage

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: Driver's License Suspended
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 02:22:26 AM »
Mine was suspended because of A1C levels. It took me 3 months to get it back. Then they took it again because the forms were not filled out properly. Four weeks later I got it back. Part of the problem was the state lost the copies with their new computerized system. They were 3 months behind in their data input. (I have not driven in two years)
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

vrystaat

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 02:43:55 PM »
In my State, they are targeting seniors over 70 years old.
A behind the wheel driving tests is difficult for us because:
- We can mentally slow down & quick reaction times (less than 3 seconds) are impossible
- Our balance is often iffy
- We could have sensory and motor problems in our legs and arms
- Our concentration can be impaired
- Our necks are stiff, so practice for blind-spot viewing

My experience so far is to hire an attorney ASAP.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 09:17:17 AM by vrystaat »
Sjogrens;Polymyositis;Polyneuropathy;Gastritis;GERD, Autonomic Neuropathy, Neurological complications, Trigeminal Neuralgia,Gamma 3 globulin low;Multiple infections;Brain fog; Ocular problems - blepharitis, scleritiis, dry eye,severe eye pain. Possible Inclusion body Myositis.Currently Endstage

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 03:03:40 AM »
It has been my choice not to drive.
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 04:01:59 AM »
I may be a little hard line here, but the cautions and regulations are in place for a reason. Any of the mentioned "limitations" regardless of cause, can be hazardous. I personally chose to be retested following a stroke, although I had been told I made a full recovery and the DMV didn't ask for suspension based on my medical report. I also chose not to operate a motor vehicle during a time I had to wear a neck brace, because I felt my ability to visualize all areas around the car was limited. Since I provide transportation for neighbours and seniors, this was an inconvenience to many people, but not as inconvenient as causing an accident would have been.

More than a year ago, my daughter was hit head on by another driver who may or may not have had a "medical incident" based on an established condition, and the other driver was killed (because of an ongoing investigation, access to her medical records has so far been blocked). Thankfully my daughter suffered much less severe injuries and will recover completely, hopefully after one pending surgery. Was the accident caused by a pre-existing condition, we may never know, but if it was, what a difference it would have made for the other driver to be suspended!

If i felt I was in any way impaired, or not driving completely responsibly and safely, I would hang up my car keys, in the same way that I gave up my nursing license based on my personally perceived inability to make split second decisions or calculations.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 05:02:20 AM »
Okay, I'm 'hard line', too.

Behind the wheel tests are crucial indicators of competency to drive on the highway, in real time.

A behind the wheel driving tests is difficult for us because:
- We can mentally slow down & quick reaction times (less than 3 seconds) are impossible
- Our balance is often iffy
- We could have sensory and motor problems in our legs and arms
- Our concentration can be impaired
- Our necks are stiff, so practice for blind-spot viewing

The impairments above are SERIOUS!  Any of them can cause an accident that will take lives, and/or cause serious injuries.

WHY should anyone be driving with these impairments?  They are as serious as driving drunk.

Sorry, but this is true.

I have not driven for three years, and I don't suffer from any problems other than profound peripheral neuropathy in my legs.  I could have installed hand controls, but I did not because my husband could drive me when I had to go to appointments and social events.

It is hard to give up driving and I have known elderly people with NO reaction time to speak of, who couldn't hear, couldn't turn their head, and STILL insisted they could drive OK.

There is a reason while failing the behind the wheel test is very meaningful.

Regards, Elaine
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 10:26:44 AM by Carolina »
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 05:10:53 AM »
I know that this logic may not be understood but, I used to be able to win at solitaire in under 3 minutes consistently. Now it is around 6 minutes. This is a combination of may things vision, and reaction time are my main reasons to quit driving. I can still past a driving test.

vrystaat

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 10:06:50 AM »
The irony in this issue is that is clear that many Sjögren's patients should not be driving, but driving around town it seems that many
people over 70 years old will not pass a behind the wheel test.
    As for myself, I have enrolled in a Senior Drivers School, and have started sessions with a musculo-skeletal physical therapist.

Skylar

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 03:20:09 PM »
The irony in this issue is that is clear that many Sjögren's patients should not be driving, but driving around town it seems that many
people over 70 years old will not pass a behind the wheel test.
    As for myself, I have enrolled in a Senior Drivers School, and have started sessions with a musculo-skeletal physical therapist.
i hope you pass the test when you are ready to retest. I?m glad you are taking actions to improve your physical and mental skills to improve your driving. You deserve a lot of credit for being proactive.

On the other hand I agree with the others, if you aren?t able to pass the exam you, and everyone else who can?t pass, shouldn?t be driving for everyone?s safety.

My father-in-law had a serious accident when he shouldn?t have been driving. He refused to listen to family that he was not safe and it was an affront to his ego and sense of independence. Luckily it was just property damage but someone could have been killed. That accident scared him into quitting but it would have been nicer if he had quit before.

I?m thrilled that you have a plan to get your license back. I?ve taken a senior driving course through AAA to lower my drivers insurance premium and I learned a lot that I?ve been able to use. The rules I was taught back in the prehistoric era in high school have changed and new insights into how older people drive requires some adjusting too such as leaving more distance between you and the car ahead to adjust for slower reaction time.

I?m sure the therapist will help too...it?s amazing how much therapy does help if you do the exercises.

Please post what you are learning. It?s helpful for the rest of us. I am not looking forward to the time when I or my DH no longer can drive. I hope autonomous driving cars are available then, but I doubt it.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 11:49:06 PM »
Im still driving and am very aware of all the ramifications of "old age" and driving. The thing that bothers me is the fact that the number of people driving on illegal drugs and alcohol is much higher then we like to think. Also, I heard a doctor talk about insomnia in the world these days. People don't get enough sleep. Everyone is working, sometimes more than one job plus commuting. Then add raising a family and church, school and family obligations, washing clothes, cooking, house cleaning, etc. Then last but not least, according to the doctor, everyone is on the computer til the early hours of the morning. Then they take am Ambien so they can sleep.

Result.......... People driving to work at 6AM half hung over from Ambien and drinking strong coffee til noon so they can wake up. Researchers feel that a huge amount of morning car accidents are caused by insomnia and Ambien or other sleep products. That was a very interesting talk. It made me think back to 20 and 30 years ago when people led more sane lives. My humble opinion. Irish