Author Topic: Awful itching all over  (Read 1673 times)

Honeybee

Re: Awful itching all over
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2019, 06:36:43 AM »
Irish and Katie
Thanks again for your replies.
My liver is okay as the LFT were fine on the bloodwork, but a good idea anyway.
So, a few months into this now. Its not only itching on the body, the skin feels as if I have scratchy wool held to it, even my softest lovely cotton t shirts with the seams now on the outside are murder. I have brought lots of cotton t shirts, cut them up made them bigger and overlocked them into new designs, I have 3 overlockers as this constitutes my employment as a textile artist. My lovely pretty clothes sit abandoned in my wardrobe and I am frump lady central! Yesterday it was so bad I drove back home, ripped off my clothing and sat naked apart from some knickers with the elastic cut out. Lovely.
Another lady on her did post a similiar thing. I looked up small fibre neuropathy and discounted that as my sensation does not match that, no burning, tingling or pain, although it is as annoying as pain. But I do not think it is that.
I am in the UK so have tried many different creams, and tried not using moisturiser as well. I think there is a moisturiser trap, in that you use this stuff on your skin as you are advised and the skin craves more so by the time you are finished, the skin is getting even drier. I am limiting it to once a day now as I am breaking out in pimpels. And it is not making much difference to the sensation.
I am on a small dose of mirtazapine, Remeron in the states I think. I have rung several pharmacists and they all say no it will not cause this, BUT, I also know it has an antihistamine action and I cannot tolerate anti histamines as they dry me out. I have been on this for 20 years at a very low dose but it is hellish to come off of, not because you get your symptoms back but within a day, you are unable to sleep and you do lose your apetite. I was originallybput on it when I was in a very bad relationship with an ex partner, and basically it has always helped me sleep. Trouble is I am going through this and not sure if it is even causing the problem and withdrawing from it is by all accounts far worse then the literature has you believe. They actually give it for intractable itching, but there is a paradoxical thing with some medication and it may be that the action over 20 years is now causing some kind of reaction. Or of course itis another gift from Sjogrens.
I cannot get back to see my gp for 5 weeks as that is how the nhs is at the mo so have to cope really. And to be honest I am not sure she will be able to do anything about this, apart from refer me to somebody in the long run.
I am normally quite cheerful but feel really miserable today.
Thanks for your help folks
Honeybee xx

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2019, 06:54:03 AM »
Dear Honeybee,

I'm so sorry you are suffering this way.  I have many reason for terrible itching in my life (eczema, reaction to drugs, neuropathy).

The strongest all over itching was caused by medications containing codeine or codeine analogs.  I doubt if that is your problem since I don't think codeine type medications are used much in the UK.

Oral estrogen supplementation also caused all over itching, come to think of it.

I suppose you have tried the antihistamines like Benedryl (don't remember generic name right off),

Wishing you the very best and relief from all itching.

Regards, Elaine
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 09:13:43 AM by Carolina »
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

jazzlover

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2019, 07:06:59 AM »
Also consider looking at a low histamine diet.  That helps me.

I am sensitive to salicylates, so I have to avoid any foods that are high in sals, along with any body care products that contain salicylates.

One big thing for me is that I don't eat leftovers. Protein is the worst about having high histamine from being cooked too long or just sitting in the refrigerator.

If I cook something and want to eat the leftover, I will freeze it immediately, then thaw it later.

If I buy several chicken breasts, I will freeze the ones I won't be using that day.

Hope this helps!
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2019, 09:07:01 PM »
The way you describe it today reminds me of some of the issues I have with my hands. I have lots of neuropathy inn both hands ...either from so much carpal tunnel and ulnarcompression or from the spinal cord compression I had prior to my spinal fusion.

I feel like the ridges on all my fingers are about 1/2inch deep and my fingers hurt like crazy and burn at times. Hard to use the keyboard and to even do other chores. It literally pulls up into the nerves in my upper arms. Had more MRI this past week.

Your problem sounds a little like this only different. :D

Has the doctor tried using Gabapentin on you. This is an old drug that is given to many, many people for neuropathy issues. There is another drug in the same family only newer and more spendy called Lyrica.Diabetes use this a lot for the neuropathy of their feet. Just a thought. This may not be a true itch at all but a sensation related to nerve dysfunction.

I know that my hands get to me and the only thing that calms them down is to put on some disposable vinyl gloves. The slight pressure on my hands knocks then pain back a couple notches so that I can stand it. Also, my hands don't sweat at all and with the gloves on I will build up a sweat by morning which feels good. Ain't it fun. Seriously, I do hope that you can find something to help. Maybe some cannabis oil will help./ I am serious. Sometimes I think of asking about it cause  have so much back pain and hand pain. Thankfully is sort of lets up at times so life gets better. Take care. Irish

Honeybee

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2019, 06:06:53 AM »
I am thinking that this is some kind of dry skin issue. It's not flakey but its lost its sheen. I have read more posts and some sound a little familiar with the sensation.
My face has always been dry and I have always used cream. But my body has never felt like this. None of the creams make much difference but I will not stop moisterising.
I really hope this is a flare, flares of my eyes last up to 8 months and never go back to normal.
It's difficult finding a moment to get comfortable as clothing loose and cotton still makes little difference.
To be honest judging from some of the dry skin referred to dermatologists , they are that interested. I am probably alone with this.
I have an Etsy shop and at the moment am finding it difficult to concentrate on stocking it and neither can I model the clothes I make as they are wool. I did stop making them for a couple of months to see if it was the wool, but it made no difference. I cut up old wool jumpers and upcycle them into pixie hooded coats you see, very careful with hovering after every cutting session.
I think this is a deep skin sjogrens thing.
I am taking fish oil  as of a month and now borage oil as of a week. I did start the pilocarpine again as somebody reported on here that it had also helped her skin, but I had not noticed any difference.
Sjogrens, age and poss subclinical thyroid could be all to blame.
Oh, and I do have low iron stores for which I am taking iron and vit c camu camu berries for the last 12 days. Itching dryness is mentioned with low iron too.
I feel like this is worse than my eyes and mouth and bladder all in one. I just need to see some light at the end of the tunnel and then I may have hope.
Xc

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2019, 09:16:29 AM »
Honeybee,

WOOL is my nemesis.  If I were wearing or working with wool I would itch uncontrollably.

Even once doing cross stitching with wool yarn was impossible.

Hoovering won't help because the wool fibers can be in the air.

I can't even eat lamb or anything made with sheep's milk.  I just throw up.

Regards,  Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2019, 11:19:11 AM »
I can't wear wool either. It makes me itch and even the thought of it makes me itch. We raised sheep some years ago and I can tell you that even the she eps wool is irritating  when they wear it. You have to wear long pants, long sleeves and gloves if you are sensitive. The wool contains a type of lanolin that I also think has some connection to the itching. It makes ones skin just raw to brush near the sheep.

Once they are sheared for the summer it is not nearly as bad until it starts to grow out again. Good luck. Irish