Author Topic: WATER (how much is enough)?  (Read 472 times)

Sharon

WATER (how much is enough)?
« on: June 01, 2019, 10:33:26 AM »
Does anyone know if we are supposed to drink more water than recommended
to the general public (about 8 glasses a day) with our Sjogren's?
Is there any protocol for this?

Sjogren's (+ RA?) positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA salivary gland swelling, dry mouth & eyes,, eyelid swelling & redness, photosensitivity, fatigue, severe joint pain, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions 
Orencia, Restasis, Paleo Diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 200mg, Omega 3...

Skylar

Re: WATER (how much is enough)?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 04:56:25 PM »
Does anyone know if we are supposed to drink more water than recommended
to the general public (about 8 glasses a day) with our Sjogren's?
Is there any protocol for this?

That 8 glasses a day has no basis in science. I know everyone says it including medical doctors but no one has actually tested it.

No one tells you how many times to breathe in a day - it's the same with water. If we trust our body to tell us when to breathe, we should trust it when we're thirsty. I've seen people say if they drink a cup of coffee or tea then they have to drink a cup of water because tea and coffee are dehydrating. Well they are - but only a teeny tiny amount like maybe a teaspoon - the rest of the water in your tea or coffee - is still water. There?s so much non-scientific mythology built up over this 8 glasses of water command.

Another factor is what are you eating? Lots of dry foods like crackers or bread? Or more whole foods such as fruits and vegetable which have a lot of water in them?

I think it's important to just use common sense. I drink water with food because I have had problems with swallowing - which I think is related to Sjogrens but I have no proof of it. I also sometimes sip water to keep my mouth moist, but I prefer to chew gum. If I feel thirsty, I drink water.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 06:03:19 PM by Skylar »

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 09:32:17 PM »
That is something that is unique for each of us. If we are having blood work on a regular basis with the kidney function tests the doctor can tell by the BUN and Creatinine if you are dehydrated or not.

Other little things to help you know of you are drinking enough is the color of your urine. You don't want to have dark colored urine. If you do a search you can usually find a color chart of desired color of urine. If your urine is really pale yellow in color and you are urinating a lot you are probably overdoing it.

Be aware that by the time you feel thirsty you are already dehydrated. Years ago I went through a period of time where i was so thirsty all the time and turned out I was anemic. I was chewing about 8 trays of ice a day plus drinking enough water to equal over 3 gallons. It was really strange cause I did not show too much water ingestion on my blood tests, I have since gotten over that but still drink a lot and am always anemic so I am always chomping on ice. Not as much as I did before though.

Good luck. Irish

araminta

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 05:49:33 AM »
No one tells you how many times to breathe in a day - it's the same with water. If we trust our body to tell us when to breathe, we should trust it when we're thirsty.
I'm sure it's true we generally know when we should drink, however as people get older they apparently have less awareness of this and can get dehydrated.   
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 07:29:17 AM »
8x8:  Eight ounces, eight times a day.  Preferably sipped constantly, I guess?  Adjust according to individual needs, of course.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-much-water-should-you-drink-per-day

Regards, Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

Sharon

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 02:52:40 PM »
Thanks for all your answers, they have been helpful!  :)
Sjogren's (+ RA?) positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA salivary gland swelling, dry mouth & eyes,, eyelid swelling & redness, photosensitivity, fatigue, severe joint pain, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions 
Orencia, Restasis, Paleo Diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 200mg, Omega 3...