Author Topic: Neuropathic Bowel Obstruction #3  (Read 540 times)

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Neuropathic Bowel Obstruction #3
« on: May 26, 2019, 06:49:00 AM »
Dear Sjogren's Angels,

Home after two days in the hospital with my third neuropathic bowel obstruction.  No fun.

My bowel just stops moving, and so becomes 'blocked'.  Terrific pain, 3 am trip to ER (after four hours of hoping it's just food poisoning or something), CT Scan for diagnosis, NG Tube (the worst part!), IV fluids, and just waiting and hating every minute of it.

About 18 hours later, my bowel started functioning again, and the blockage resolved.  The hospital, of course, wants to wait until I've successfully had both liquid diet and soft food diet....so I don't go home until the next night.

This is the third episode I've had in 12 years.  If the blockage doesn't resolve on its own, of course, I would have to have abdominal surgery to 'fix it'.  So far I've dodged that bullet.

I have a friend who had three abdominal surgeries in 4 months because of these pseudo or idiopathic bowel obstructions.  It was a nightmare, of course.

So I'm 'lucky'.  I know this is part of the entire picture of my Immune Disorder, which causes all of my neuropathy and has disabled me so completely.

Another gift of my dysfunctional immune system.   If ONLY it were 'just dry eyes, dry mouth'!

alas,

Glad to be home!

Love, Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

ohiolady

Re: Neuropathic Bowel Obstruction #3
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 06:26:25 PM »
Elaine,

I am so sorry you have had to go through all of this pain.  How scary!!!  I am currently experiencing one thing after another and it gets discouraging. My heart goes out you and I hope you have some good days ahead. One day at a time!

Take care!

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 07:49:02 PM »
So sorry that you have been having this junk. Yes a GI tube is yukky but it does a job well.

Did the docs say if this was a neuropathy????? Neuropathy sure keeps us busy going to the doctor. Just for your Information....older people (love that phrase don't you) tend to be prone to a twisted colon at times. This can be very painful also. Sometimes a position change will make the kink untwist. The same treatment with the GI tube and if it doesn't unkink then surgery.

Not to discourage you but to keep you informed.

I had noticed that you were on around lately and had wondered if some "fun episode" had showed up again.Keep the faith and know that I am thinking of you. I would think that it was helpful to have your husband in your new home with structure and people around him. Get well soon. Irish

Kathy57

• Primum non nocere - "First do no Harm"
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 07:51:57 PM »
Oh Elaine!

You have been through too much and yet you keep a positive attitude!  The NG tube sounds horrifying.  Glad you didn?t have to have surgery and glad you are home.  Hope this never happens to you again.

Kathy
Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 03:03:29 AM »
3weekends ago, we were visiting friends in Canada. My old friend was constipated and had been for over a week. I gave her a tone for constipation (from my website) with each tone for 30 seconds and told her to play the sequence 6 times. She is a little thing and played it once then thought she shoot half of her body weight. If you want to try it, Here is the link: http://www.chakraforce.com/Tonations.html#109.

I hope it helps you. Some people it does and some it does not. I do have the MP3 version I placed on her phone.

bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Carolina

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 04:33:05 AM »
Thanks, Joe.   I wasn't constipated, however there may be some tones for a bowel obstruction!

Regards, Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

Deb 27

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 08:40:08 AM »
Elaine, I am so very sorry you had to go through that. I am glad you are better and back home! I hope this never happens to you again!!!! Wishing you a happy Memorial Day.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

araminta

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 03:40:24 AM »
I'm very sorry to hear you had this problem, Elaine.   I hope all is well now and  that your husband was well looked after while you were in hospital.
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

Skylar

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 05:02:48 PM »
Thank goodness you avoided surgery - but how unpleasant.

I don't know if I have Neuropathic Bowel Obstruction or not - but I have something similar where my lower bowel just shuts down. No bowel sounds, no peristaltic waves. The trouble is the upper part of my digestion - my stomach is completely unaware. I'm still hungry and eat normally. Because my BM is so abnormal, it's not unusual to miss a day I have to keep track. On the third day I get a headache and feel very ill and can be in great abdominal pain. What I found has helped is to use glycerin suppositories. I find it helps kick starts the peristaltic waves. I can hear and feel them starting. Once I start passing gas and a BM I feel back to normal. I never went to the Dr or ER so I've never been examined.

Carolina

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 05:41:30 AM »
Dear Skylar,

Sounds like a 'version' of my neuropathic obstruction, no bowel sounds, no movement.  I have terrible pain right away, tho'.  In the hospital I was given suppositories early on, and perhaps that's what triggered the clearing of the obstruction after about 16 hours or so?

When I had the first obstruction 12 years ago, I didn't go to the hospital (tho' I wanted to, but my husband wanted me to wait) and the obstruction cleared about 7-8 hours after it started.  I even tried Fleet Enemas, but nothing was there to expel.  However the enema may have also triggered the return of movement.

There is a very powerful drug that they use when necessary.  It's described in the article I gave the link for in an earlier post.  It sounds scary, but anything is better than surgery.

So far I'm feeling recovered from the whole event. Nothing I can do to prevent a reoccurrence, of course. 

I don't suffer from constipation, so Miralax, etc. aren't necessary. 

It is just one of the many 'things and conditions' that complicate our lives.

Regards, Elaine

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 03:36:09 PM »
 When I worked as a nurse in long term care we had a lot of people with in ability to have a bowel movement as there peristalsis was slowed down.

Now there is a lot involved with this process. In the elderly and in some younger people the drinking enough fluids is really unbelievably necessary. Plus eating enough fiber helps. Eating dates and prunes helps and is easy to do. Just eat them from the package. One home I worked in spent a lot of time experimenting with solving this issue. It is not good to have enemas frequently as the pre made ones can cause chemical burns on the mucus membrane of our intestines if used often.

One thing that we came up with was to eat fruit balls made of ground dates and raisin/prunes and some bran. You can make up a bunch of them and store in the refrig in container. Every 3rd night take milk of magnesia and this will kickstart the peristalsis in the colon with resultant bowel movement. Also, drinking how water or hot water with lemon juice and sugar before breakfast often kickstarts the colon. Some people swear that drinking hot coffee before breakfast helps.

There are all these little tricks that will help people and many foods that stimulate the colon. I really think that doing every one of these little tricks that a person can tolerate is worth it. If it is natural often is easier on our body.

Another thing I heard of from my nurse sister is rocking in a rocking chair for a long period of time several times a day. This stirs up the food and fluids in the colon and is more useful than one would think. I have learned that driving for a couple of hours in the car and snacking certain foods during this time kick starts the peristalsis.

Granted there are really stubborn cases of decreased peristalsis but sometimes trying these things and having some sort of schedule might help. Also, if you have a food that has upset you over the years you might want to eat it once in a while. Often food with fat in them will cause increase in peristalsis because they stimulate the gallbladder to kick out more bile to aid in digestion of fat. Bile is notorious fork irritating the inside of the colon. Good luck with all tis and if all else fails your doctor can help out. Irish
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 03:49:04 PM by irish »