Author Topic: Sleep apnea and CPAP?  (Read 251 times)

Deb 27

Sleep apnea and CPAP?
« on: May 22, 2019, 08:35:25 AM »
Does anyone here have sleep apnea and using a CPAP? I went for my CPAP sleep thing last night and did not tolerate it well at all. Like a lot of people, I couldn't fall asleep with that thing over my nose and mouth. Also, after about 30 minutes after wearing the mask, I had really bad sinus congestion. My apnea was in the severe category, so it sounds like the appliances are out. I have propped up the head of my bed but that might not take care of things with severe apnea. I stop breathing 34 times an hour.

The respiratory therapist recommended I take some sinus meds and also something like Lunesta and try it again...... So frustrating!!!!

Weight loss doesn't seem like a realistic option for me. I swim, eat right and I am still overweight.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Sleep apnea and CPAP?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 09:32:33 PM »
There are so many new products to use instead of those old masks. I hope that you can find something that will work. Good luck. irish

Skylar

Re: Sleep apnea and CPAP?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 07:41:42 PM »
I had to use a C-Pap machine years ago for a short time - and while I hated having to drag that machine around when I traveled and I hated the marks the mask left on my face - I loved, loved, loved the moisture it delivered. If I could use a sleep apnea machine today I would - just for the moisture. It helped both my nose and my eyes even though I just had the nasal plugs.

I haven't used a machine in more than a decade. I know they have made many positive changes - lighter, smaller machines and more choices in mask/nasal plugs etc. The first time you use it, especially if you're trying to sleep in the sleep clinic - it's so weird, stressful, uncomfortable. But you have to persevere. There are options for different masks - ask to try different ones to find the one that is most comfortable for you.

Follow the advice of the therapist and keep using the machine - there are amazing benefits. There's nothing like a good night's sleep and enjoy that moisture that is delivered in the forced air. You aren't alone, most people using this equipment had trouble in the beginning adjusting to it and once you do, you won't want to sleep without it.

My DH is slim and in good health - but he has to use a C Pap because he has lax tissue in his neck. You may find you do lose weight - but still need the machine.