Author Topic: Anyone have thinning hair and buying a wig???  (Read 328 times)

irish

• Global Moderator
Anyone have thinning hair and buying a wig???
« on: May 11, 2019, 11:17:42 PM »
I have been agonizing over my hair for about 3 years. It has been slowly getting thinner and have been having what seems to be a neuropathy on my scalp. The top is thinning and is very visible. I let my hair grow for the last year cause no one would give me a permanent as they said my hair was too unhealthy. I breaks off a lot and has been so terribly dry.

The dryness isn't as bad and yesterday I went and got my hair cut short and bought a wig. Got good comments but I am sure they got sick of me in my pigtails and cap to cover the thin spot. I just lived with it cause I kept hoping it would grow back and get healthy again.

I think the autoimmune diseases plus the thyroid disease is some of the blame and my doc told me my chronic anemia is also to blame. I am anemic again and probably bleeding from the AVMs in my colon. I will have a colonoscopy next Friday and probably laser again to get rid of the bleeding. At least I can either go with or without the wig. Sort of a load off my shoulders. Interested to hear of others experiences. Irish

Liz D.

Re: Anyone have thinning hair and buying a wig???
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 06:21:58 AM »
 Hi Irish,

I too have had the experience of wearing a wig this past year. I have always had thin hair anyway but due to Plaquenil and anemia, the last three years my hair has really fallen out. I had a lot of balding and thin spots that I couldn’t cover. Plus I’m naturally brunette and that shows the thin spots even more. ????

I was scared to try wigs but I got a wonderful response from all my friends who loved them on me. In the meantime I’ve been working on my anemia and new hair products and my hair is a bit thicker and growing out better. The hairdresser said that  the  more I wear wigs, the less likely my own hair will grow back. The summer was very hot  wearing wigs, but at least my thin hair wasn’t sticking to my head.

Anyway, I’ve been using a special shampoo called Nature Queen Beauty shampoo and conditioner and to a degree it seems to be helping. I’ve also found some thickening products. I feel more comfortable in my own hair now, but everyone keeps asking me where my wigs are because they were so successful. I’m sort of torn as to which way to go.

If you get the right wig for you and the shape of your face and it looks natural, they can be a real blessing.  I did feel I looked so much younger with them.  There is a forum that I believe is called wigsupport.com or something along that line that had been a huge help to me.

I hope you can get your anemia under control too.  That was a huge cause in my hair loss.

Liz D.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 06:23:56 AM by Liz D. »
55 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 400 mg; Synthroid 100mcg; Evoxac, Flovent, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., Hormone Replacement Therapy, vitamins, calcium, flaxseed, biotin

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 03:54:23 PM »
So glad you had good luck. I was so lucky that I found a wig that looks like how I used to wear my hair and even the salt and pepper that I had for years. So many people thought that I had my hair restyled. Funny story though!!!

Up at my sons and Im sleeping in the recliner and my wig is sitting on the book case. Son is at desk with their 85 pound lab napping on floor behind his chair. Son said all of a sudden the dog stood up and let out a growl and howl and he had to grab her and hold her down. She had seen the wig and thought it was an animal. It does look like a possum curled up taking a nap. Son said it was a hoot and he will long remember the event.

I told the nurses at IVIG about this event and the male nurse was drinking coffee and he spit coffee all over and almost aspirated. He is a hunter ands the picture in his head of a possum curled up really made him howl. Yes, I am happy with my hair cut and my wig and yes, it is rather hot but I don't wear it all the time. Thanks for replying. Irish

Liz D.

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 04:36:14 AM »
Funny story, ????????????!!!
55 year old female
Meds:  Plaquenil 400 mg; Synthroid 100mcg; Evoxac, Flovent, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., Hormone Replacement Therapy, vitamins, calcium, flaxseed, biotin

Kathy57

• Primum non nocere - "First do no Harm"
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 08:12:40 PM »
I was glad to see this topic.  My hair seems to be getting thinner and sparser.  I take thyroid meds and am on Plaquinil.  I have to wash and blow dry my hair every day or else I look terrible.   I have been thinking about a wig.  I think it would be easier and maybe look nicer.

My hair stylist says no but she would not have much of a job if I bought some wigs.  Some days I can even get my hair to look decent.  Since I have been diagnosed with a Sjogrens, I feel like I have aged 10 years.😞.

When I was so sick, I lost a lot of weight.  I told myself that if I could ever eat and enjoy my food again, that I would get fat and not even care.  Well watch out for what you wish for.  I can eat and enjoy my food but my clothes are all getting very tight! 

Fatter but happier.

Kathy
Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 10:58:21 AM »
If you want to try a wig, go for it. I had my hair cut short and it does look good enough that I can go without my wig. However, I have the wig for the times I want to look more dressy and not worry about my hair. There is no styling my hair to loo "chic"...it is what it is but the wig looks a lot like me. When I had my infusion a couple of the nurses thought I had gotten a new style. One nurse was funny....she said I wondered how early you had to get up in order to get your hair looking like that.

I have 8AM appt for IVIG and have to get up at 6 AM cause I have to drive a ways. In none of my previous lives with or without AID would I ever get up really, really early to monkey with my hair. ::) ::)

Also, you can find a nice synthetic wig for under 200$. You can wash them once a month and some of them tolerate a little heat and a curling iron can be used under a certain temperature. Good luck. Irish

Kathy57

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 12:22:52 PM »
Irish,

Where did you find your wig?  Did you buy it on line or go to a store that sells them?
I think that might be the best bet for me.  I think there may be a store a few miles from here.  I?ve never had the courage to check it out.

Thanks,

Kathy
Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 04:37:23 AM »
Paula Young (on line and catalogues) sells synthetic wigs, and natural hair wigs.  You can order, try on and return!

You can get a bunch of color sample hair in your color range sent to you.

Good place to start I think.

Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 12:48:09 PM »
I bought my first wig from QVC....was watching and never watch them but they got my order and money. The size of the wig was not good and the color was way too dark. After I got the box open I read that I couldn't send back. Ticked me off.

I researched on line for several months and and learned a lot. Some of the reviews have to taken in stride and if you research you will learn a lot. Read the Paula wigs reviews and you will learn a lot there. I have opinions about some of them and if you want to know more just PM me. Irish

Kathy57

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 02:31:52 PM »
Thanks Irish and Elaine,

Well before I read either of your responses today, I was looking online at wigs and I hit upon a site called wigs.com.  I read all the reviews and even looked at pictures that many of the reviewers sent.

Soooooooooooooooooooo.  I bit the bullet and ordered one but I?m not sure about the color.  The color is similar to my favorite hair color on me but looks lighter.  Of course I?ve been told that looking at a computer color and seeing it in person are two different things.

I did look at some Paula Young wigs online.  Some of them were very reasonable.

I can?t remember what brand I ended up choosing but it is called ?Tori? and I got it in ?Vanilla lush?.  It looks a little coppery with many blonde highlights. I?m excited to try it out and afraid all at the same time.  I can send it back if it doesn?t work out, but I will have to pay for shipping.

The bangs are way too long from the pictures but most people cut them to suit themselves or had their stylist do it.  I?m used to touching up my own bangs (what is left of them) so I think I can handle that.  I?m just going to have to be careful.

I have you to thank for giving me the courage to do this.  I?ve been threatening to do it for the last couple of years because my hair is thinning so much.  My scalp has been showing through in too many places.😱

Anyway the style of this wig is very similar to my own style, only it looks much better.  The wig is not ?full? at all which is good cause I?ve never had thick hair in my entire life.  I?m hoping it can pass for my own.

It?s shipping standard so I will let you know how it all turns out.  Maybe I can even figure out how to post a picture on here!😉

Thanks again for all the ?emotional support.?

Kathy
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 02:36:34 PM by Kathy57 »

Liz D.

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 03:42:30 PM »
Kathy,

I think you made a good choice with the Tori wig! I wore that all last year and everyone loved it! (You are making me want to wear it again!). I trimmed the bangs myself and I actually thinned it a bit with thinning shears to make it look as natural as possible since my natural hair is VERY thin.  A lot of my friends think I should go back to wearing wigs since they loved them so much.

Please let us know how it works out.  Another good site to buy wigs is namebrandwigs.com.  I had a lot of success with them.  I found the Amore brand to be the most natural but more expensive.  I hear Paula Young wigs have improved immensely and they are very reasonably priced.  Also a wig that is labeled Monofilament are the most natural because it gives you a normal part.

I sure hope it works out for you.

Liz D.

55 year old female

Kathy57

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 08:33:17 PM »
Liz,

Thanks for the advice!  I?ll keep you posted on how it all turns out. 

Kathy

Kathy57

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 01:17:17 PM »
Well ladies,

My wig came and I tried it on.  I have so many questions.  Do I always have to wear a wig caplet?  Also the bangs were way too long.  I trimmed them but I have an appointment with my stylist June 13, and I think I?ll have her thin the bangs and customize it for me.

Not sure this is the color for me but I noticed it?s not that far off from my color now.  It?s a little warm to wear and I had my hair fixed all nice but trying on the wig just flattened it.😱.

I felt kind of foolish but I think if I get it shaped up to fit me that it will do.  I may have to try a different color.

Not ready to show anyone a picture yet.   I?ll keep you posted.

Kathy

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 03:42:38 PM »
When I'm ready for a wig, I will wear it with pride, just as I wear my hearing aids, wear my leg braces, and walk with my walker......It's just another accessory!

Regards, Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

Liz D.

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 03:45:32 PM »
Hi Kathy,

I always had to trim the bangs too.  The hair stylist will be able to cut it to better fit your face.

You don’t have to wear the wig caplet if you don’t want to.  I never did.  I wore a wig grip which looks like a velvet headband.  That helped keep the wig on but didn’t make my head warm.

It is wicked scary to wear your wig the first time so I totally understand your apprehension.  I’m seeing my hair dresser on Thursday to get her professional opinion on whether I can even get away with my own hair or go back to wigs.  The thinning is aggravating.

Hope it goes well for you.

Liz D.

55 year old female