Author Topic: Anyone have thinning hair and buying a wig???  (Read 69 times)

irish

• Global Moderator
Anyone have thinning hair and buying a wig???
« on: May 11, 2019, 11:17:42 PM »
I have been agonizing over my hair for about 3 years. It has been slowly getting thinner and have been having what seems to be a neuropathy on my scalp. The top is thinning and is very visible. I let my hair grow for the last year cause no one would give me a permanent as they said my hair was too unhealthy. I breaks off a lot and has been so terribly dry.

The dryness isn't as bad and yesterday I went and got my hair cut short and bought a wig. Got good comments but I am sure they got sick of me in my pigtails and cap to cover the thin spot. I just lived with it cause I kept hoping it would grow back and get healthy again.

I think the autoimmune diseases plus the thyroid disease is some of the blame and my doc told me my chronic anemia is also to blame. I am anemic again and probably bleeding from the AVMs in my colon. I will have a colonoscopy next Friday and probably laser again to get rid of the bleeding. At least I can either go with or without the wig. Sort of a load off my shoulders. Interested to hear of others experiences. Irish

Liz D.

Re: Anyone have thinning hair and buying a wig???
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 06:21:58 AM »
 Hi Irish,

I too have had the experience of wearing a wig this past year. I have always had thin hair anyway but due to Plaquenil and anemia, the last three years my hair has really fallen out. I had a lot of balding and thin spots that I couldn’t cover. Plus I’m naturally brunette and that shows the thin spots even more. ????

I was scared to try wigs but I got a wonderful response from all my friends who loved them on me. In the meantime I’ve been working on my anemia and new hair products and my hair is a bit thicker and growing out better. The hairdresser said that  the  more I wear wigs, the less likely my own hair will grow back. The summer was very hot  wearing wigs, but at least my thin hair wasn’t sticking to my head.

Anyway, I’ve been using a special shampoo called Nature Queen Beauty shampoo and conditioner and to a degree it seems to be helping. I’ve also found some thickening products. I feel more comfortable in my own hair now, but everyone keeps asking me where my wigs are because they were so successful. I’m sort of torn as to which way to go.

If you get the right wig for you and the shape of your face and it looks natural, they can be a real blessing.  I did feel I looked so much younger with them.  There is a forum that I believe is called wigsupport.com or something along that line that had been a huge help to me.

I hope you can get your anemia under control too.  That was a huge cause in my hair loss.

Liz D.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 06:23:56 AM by Liz D. »
55 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 400 mg; Synthroid 100mcg; Evoxac, Flovent, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., Hormone Replacement Therapy, vitamins, calcium, flaxseed, biotin

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 03:54:23 PM »
So glad you had good luck. I was so lucky that I found a wig that looks like how I used to wear my hair and even the salt and pepper that I had for years. So many people thought that I had my hair restyled. Funny story though!!!

Up at my sons and Im sleeping in the recliner and my wig is sitting on the book case. Son is at desk with their 85 pound lab napping on floor behind his chair. Son said all of a sudden the dog stood up and let out a growl and howl and he had to grab her and hold her down. She had seen the wig and thought it was an animal. It does look like a possum curled up taking a nap. Son said it was a hoot and he will long remember the event.

I told the nurses at IVIG about this event and the male nurse was drinking coffee and he spit coffee all over and almost aspirated. He is a hunter ands the picture in his head of a possum curled up really made him howl. Yes, I am happy with my hair cut and my wig and yes, it is rather hot but I don't wear it all the time. Thanks for replying. Irish

Liz D.

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 04:36:14 AM »
Funny story, ????????????!!!
55 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 400 mg; Synthroid 100mcg; Evoxac, Flovent, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., Hormone Replacement Therapy, vitamins, calcium, flaxseed, biotin