Author Topic: Anyone have thinning hair and buying a wig???  (Read 869 times)

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Anyone have thinning hair and buying a wig???
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2019, 11:03:32 PM »
Kathy. Congratulations on taking the step. It is scary and one has to think about it a long time. It is an investment and sort of a life syle choice.

If you go on line to one of the wig site....wigs.com for instance, you should find a sections on accessories. They usually have different types of caplets to wear under the wig. Some of lightweight and some are heavier.

I had gone looking for wig sites and in my searching I ran across an article by Oprah about wig sitters. She gave 3 of what she felt were the best wig sites. She had dealt with them and had some of them on her show. One of them is the wigs.com that is mentioned on this thread. She said that she seldom endorses anything but wigs have become so important that she wanted to share that information.

The first wig I ordered was a dud and I hope to find someone to give it to or sell it. The one that I wear is from a little shop some miles from me. She doesn't have a huge collection but it is good for me to be able to try on. I had tried on 3 wigs and she left the room and came back with another one...I put it on....and we both said "thats the one". It just fit my hairstyle and the speckled grey, white and darker brown. Some day I plan to order one that a little "wilder" and fun and on sale. I got my hair cut short and it turned out better that I thought it would so I don't wear the wig all the time. Nice to have the good stele sitting and waiting.

Now, I have to go on to the next item on my list. I need to get a hearing aid or some type of device before I am totally deaf. I will have to take some days and shop around. Everything I need to do to get me up and running cost money. Shucks!!Take care folks. Irish

Kathy57

• Primum non nocere - "First do no Harm"
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 04:48:48 PM »
Ladies,

My hair dresser trimmed up my wig and she really liked it!  The hair color is not that far off from my own.  So I?m feeling more confident! 

Thanks so much for giving me the courage🤗. I haven?t worn it anywhere but I?ll let you know what people think.  Have a good weekend.

Kathy
Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.

Liz D.

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2019, 04:25:15 AM »
Good for you, Kathy.  Once you get that first wear in public over with, you’ll feel great ????????
Your friends will love it and the people who don’t know you will not even notice!  Or just notice your hair looks wonderful.

Liz D.

55 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 400 mg; Synthroid 100mcg; Evoxac, Flovent, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., Hormone Replacement Therapy, vitamins, calcium, flaxseed, biotin

Kathy57

• Primum non nocere - "First do no Harm"
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2019, 10:37:42 PM »
Well ladies,

I finally wore my wig in public.  I had lunch with my best friend (who is very honest) and I didn?t tell her about it but I just wore it!  I felt pretty ?safe?with her.  Well when she first saw me, she just thought that I had my hair colored lighter,  until I told her that it was a wig.

She was very positive but gave me honest feedback.  The color is lighter than my color right now and she thinks the color kind of ?washes me out.?  Also she wasn?t a fan of the bangs.  I had to laugh because she said, ?you?ve never worn bangs before!  I told her that I?ve had bangs for years but that my hair is so thin that they look very wispy.  I did thin these bangs on the wig, quite a bit, so they would look more realistic.

I?m not too worried about the color.  My main concern was that it would look like an obvious wig and not look natural.  It doe look pretty natural.  My husband likes it.  This wig is definitely wearable.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice and confidence.  I really appreciate it! 

Kathy

PS:  I?m going to have to figure out how to post a picture here

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 10:40:50 PM by Kathy57 »
Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2019, 09:27:26 PM »
It is bloody scary wearing the wig the first time. I have only worn mine a couple of times so far as I have not been feeling good enough to care. :o

The info I have read states that one finds a beautician who has had experience cutting wigs. I did not have to cut mine so I was lucky. I had bought my first wig and the color was way too dark. It couldn't be returned either!!! It did need to have the bangs trimmed a lot. I am going to try to find someone to with sell it to or give it to.

I haven't had to wear the caplet with mine but I think that I may have to down the road. Seems that the wigs may stretch out a bit the more they are worn. There are places online that sell all kinds of accessories to use with wigs and they would have things you can use. There is even an adhesive that some people use. That sounds kind of messy to me.

I think that the wigs will be hot in the summer but when it is cooler it will be like wearing a scarf. Will keep the wind off really good. We can't look cute and stay cool at the same time. Take care. Irish