Author Topic: Night sweats, low body temperature, feel cold all the time, please help  (Read 532 times)

Carebear

Dear Sjogren's  friends,

I just feel like crap lately!  I'm so tired of complaining to my spouse about this, so I've come here looking for help, answers, and something to go to my doctor with.  Please give me your thoughts.

I have terrible night sweats, firstly.  This makes sleep impossible.  I sweat a lot during the day as well,  but not as severely.

I am freezing all the time.  It's 20 degrees Celsius outside (high 60s F)  and I'm wearing a winter jacket, a scarf, and a long sleeved shirt.

My body temperature often is around 97 degrees Fahrenheit.   My heart rate runs in the low 60s, and sometimes lower.

I'm uncomfortable all the time.  I can't put my finger on how to describe the severity of this feeling.  Just very unwell.

I gained 10 pounds this winter,  when in the last seven years I couldn't put on an ounce.

I fall asleep at red lights and while typing at the computer.

It's not menopause.  That happened over 20 years ago.  My thyroid bloodwork is normal.   I have no infection.  The only thing that is abnormal is that my white blood cells are low.

It sounds hormonal to me, but what hormones?  I'm blurting,  I know.   I've just had it.  I need help!
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Maria3667

• Still cultivating that 'dry' sense of humor...
Hi CareBear,

That sounds awful! Hope you recover soon.

Which type of medicines do you take?
51. DES-daughter, GAD, Lyme's ('98), Sjogren's ('03), hypothyroid ('04), osteoarthritis ('16), Blepharitis ('18), bilateral Frozen Shoulder ('19), pilocarpine, thyroid hormones, 25mg quetiapine, low dose testosterone. Endometriosis, cherry angiomas. Allergies: nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

Linda196

• Administrator
I think your doctor might be receptive to a full hormonal work up starting with adrenals (cortisol levels and challenge). these symptoms are significant, especially the 'falling asleep at red lights".

Please see him or her as soon as you can, doesn't need to be an endocrinologist, a GP can get the ball rolling.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Bucky

• Global Moderator
((Carebear)),

I'm sorry you are feeling so poorly.   :(  I don't have any answers for you, but Linda's advice sounds like a great place to start.  (Since she's a nurse, I would trust her advice and wouldn't hesitate on  anything she suggests.)

I hope you can get in to see a doctor soon so they can figure out how to help you.

Sending a long-distance hug.

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Dear Carebear,  I have finally decided that I'm in a state of chronic inflammation (like a flare, but it never goes away).

This chart is from an NIH publication (linked below).

Table 5.
Common signs and symptoms in chronic inflammatory systemic diseases

Overt symptoms                              Change

Amenorrhea                                    Increases
Avolition                                            Increases
*Body temperature and sweating    Increases
Bone loss                                    Increases
Cachexia, cachectic obesity            Increases
Circadian rhythms of symptoms    Become apparent
Coagulation system                    Activated
*Disposition to pain (skeletal muscle, joints, other)                        Increases
Erythrocyte sedimentation rate                                                Increases
*Fatigue                                                                                        Increases
Food intake, appetite (finally body weight), malnutrition                Decreases
*Headache                                                                                Increases
Heart rate, sympathetic nervous tone                                        Increases
*Hemoglobin per erythrocyte, inflammation-related anemia        Decreases
Hypertension and volume expansion/water retention                More often
Insulin resistance                                                                        Increases
Interleukin-6 serum levels (one example of a cytokine in the blood)   Increases
Libido, erectile dysfunction (loss of activity of the HPG axis)                   Decreases
*Numbness                                                                                           Increases
Parasympathetic tone                                                                           Decreases
*Physical activity                                                                                   Decreases
*Proinflammatory high density lipoproteins (HDL), dyslipidemia           Increases
Protein in the urine                                                                                   Increases
Serum albumin                                                                                   Decreases
*Sleeping problems                                                                                   Increases
*Stress negatively influences inflammation                                           Becomes apparent
*Symptoms of depression                                                                   Increases
Vertigo                                                                                                   Increases
*Weakness                                                                                           Increases

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4753361/

Table 5 occurs deep in this article.  The article is comprehensive and technical in places.

I printed Table 5 because I know these are many of my symptoms.  I am completely miserable.  I have severe arthritis which is almost intolerable with inflammation.   At times I really wonder if I can go on.  I have an 'as needed' bottle of Medrol (methylprednisolone) but only 17 4 mg tablets.  If I take one of them, I feel better for less than 24 hours at this stage.   The 12 hours before during and after sleep are mostly agony.

I probably would respond positively to regular higher doses of steroids, but the cost of that treatment in damage to my body of others kinds is so very high.

The 'bottom line' of this research is that Chronic Inflammatory Disease occurs later in life, and thus is passed along to each generation because we reproduce before the CID becomes so terrible and life threatening.

I have yet to see any real treatment, aside from steroids.  Changing diet, exercising and other methods of alleviating symptoms, have always seemed to me to be ineffective against the very huge impact that CID is having on my life.

I don't know what to do.  I plan to ask my Immunologist but I know this is beyond her scope of specialization.  I guess I could ask for one of the very expensive tests that measures cytokine activity, an indication of inflammation.  I guess the bottom line is what do we DO with information?

This is a big time condition, one of the indication for CID is autoimmune conditions, of course.  And my Immune Disorder is included as well.

Sorry I'm not more 'up beat'.

Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

irish

• Global Moderator
Sorry you are suffering. Linda gives sound advice. Also, sometimes when we perspire a lot we tend to get the chills more often. It does help to have a sweater or long-sleeved shirt to put on over your "sweaty" body sometimes to help prevent cooler air from triggering the chills. Good luck and please keep us updated. Irish

trejonina

Hello, have you tried Turmeric, and Omega 3 ? They're supposed to help with inflammation.Do you avoid sugar, flour,gluten and dairy? They cause it. Good luck!

jkcc2323

Ditto for turmeric, and a form that is hydro-soluble absorbs better!

Carebear

Thank you everyone for your replies.   It's been a very difficult weekend,  especially now my digestive system has decided to go berserk too.  Actually it started a week ago but it was much worse during the last few days, with severe diarrhea becoming my new companion.  I am trying to keep hydrated.

Linda,  I will be pursuing the hormonal workup with my doctor next week.   I wish I were able to see her sooner but that was not possible.

Something I left out earlier was that I have seen a cardiologist regarding the "sleeping at red lights" and feeling faint with a low heart rate.   He has ordered a second Holter test and an echocardiogram.  I expect this will just rule things out.

I have also had a home sleep study with results indicating mild obstructive sleep apnea.   Because I do not snore I can only assume I am choking or gasping for air while sleeping.   I am waiting for a sleep study to be done at the hospital, however this will take forever due to huge waiting lists.  I will follow up with my doctor as now there may be more reason for urgency for this detailed study.  Sleep apnea can cause night sweats but not diarrhea...hopefully!

I cannot take turmeric because it really hurts my stomach.  None of my medications have changed in some time so side effects to drugs or supplements seems unlikely. 

I will let everyone know how this rolls out.  It may even help someone else eventually.

Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

SjoGirl

So sorry to hear this CareBear. This sounds just like how I felt early in my illness and when I have a major flare. I feel like I have the flu but I don't, have the sweats and cold at the same time, I am lethargic, etc.

How low is your white count?

Also, I have found that for me it is possible to have an infection without having a fever. If diarrhea continues you might ask for a stool test. I did this in the past and learned that I had an eColi infection. I never had a fever with it just all of the other symptoms.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

irish

• Global Moderator
Also, sorry to hear you feel so awful. Have you been on a new medication lately or been on antibiotics that could trigger the diarrhea. Something that will also have to be checked out. Good luck. Irish

Carebear

Hi SjoGirl.  My white blood cells run low about 50 percent of the time,  and I get bloodwork done each month.   I run about 3700 cells per cubic millimeter of blood, so technically leukopenia but not extremely low either.

Hello Irish.  No new medication or changes in dosage either I'm afraid. And definitely no antibiotics. 

The good news is that I am feeling somewhat better for now.  And I'm just beginning to realize that this event began a couple of months ago,  creeping in very slowly.  So slowly that I didn't take notice until it hit me very hard.
 This seems to confirm the probability of it being hormonal.  But we will see what my doctor thinks next week.

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Dear Carebear,

When I suddenly developed 'gastric problems' including diarrhea, it turned out to be SIBO.

Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth, in my case, is the result of neuropathy in my small intestine.

The test is fairly simple (breath tests over an hour) and the  treatment is 10 days of antibiotics.

I suffer for a year before I asked about SIBO.  The FODMAP helped some, and at the worst I also had to eliminate glucose and lactose.   Now I can eat everything with no problem.

It's a possibility.

Regards, Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

Carebear

Elaine, did you have night sweats as well?  And did you dress for the Artic, but everyone around you had shorts on?

irish

• Global Moderator
Looking at your meds and wonder if docs have checked out interactions with your herbs. I know that many of them can cause issues on their own that are not always shown in literature.

Also, with the IVIG-.have you changed products lately? Have they checked to see if you low WBC are related to the autoimmune disease or the Sjogrens. I would think that could cause a person to feel lousy. Also, with all you have going on has anyone considered that you might have a low grade infection. This can cause sweats and chills plus the white count doesnt always rise in people like us when we have infections.

I have felt so lousy for a couple of years and have so many things going on surgeries, etc. Meanwhile I am so fatigued but hey, I have autoimmune and Myasthenia gravis and have been to doctor so many times. I got so none of my other antibiotics helped much ( I have so many antibiotic allergies) and have germs that don't respond to other antibiotics.

I was ill in Dec with Gram negative Sepsis which can be fatal....I had a good infectious disease doc and he worked magic with the antibiotics I could take and I recovered. He also chewed me out for not having my penicillin/cephalexin drug allergies tested for accuracy. He was right. I got that allergy testing done and am not allergic to penicillin or cephalsporins. Just in time to take Ceftin for an infection.

Long story...hang in there I have a new doc & he is Good. I told him my history plus how I react to infections. No fever, sometimes sweats and sometimes chills. Seldom much drainage and (the important part for me) my history of getting infections from normal body bacteria that overgrow and make me just ill enough to feel like my life is going down the drain. Takes a long time with these infections for me to get to the point that I realize I am really sick.

He put me on Ceftin 500 mgm 2xs day for 7 days for a sore scab like issue in my trachea that I can't hardly cough or hack out every day, sore gums lower jaw with pain and increased difficulty with eating and dentures getting tighter, bad back ache mid to low lumbar,  symptoms of bile acid diarrhea being treated by GI  but acting like bacterial overgrowth with bad odor, increasing fatigue, sweats, chills and terrible bladder pain in the trigone area in bladder that is a 50 year long standing problem but never have positive urines.

I called back after I was done with antibiotics and told him that all of those symptoms were better after antibiotics. Yesterday I had another colonoscopy with laser of 3 areas for arterial venous malformation in my ascending colon. I told my GI doc that I thought I needed antibiotic with this procedure. Told her that after having 3 colon preps last fall  and colonoscopies I had ended up with gram negative sepsis. Told her no ones fault, but that I as weird and with invasive procedures I most often need antibiotic. She said "I will check with the pope" referring to my new doctor. She came back and said "the pope agreed with you" and he ordered Rocephin 1 gram over 30 minutes IV.

Now today the back ache I had left seems better. I will know for sure in a few days. My throat is a little less sore. Now I am going through this long dissertation so you can see how this works. I may have had some low grade infection in my colon since my last laser treatment of 6 arterial venous malformations along with 9 clips in area last Oct. These low grade infections of normal body bacteria happen to me often and usually can't even be cultured. My immunologist has told me to watch for them and be sure to get antibiotics.

Just hope some of this info can help....I know it is confusing and looooong. Irish

P.S. Over the years I have gotten these normal bacteria infections in my sinuses, and also in the back of the throat, etc. Just enough change for me to think that something was up. The mouth contains over 7-- bacteria normal to our body and with the autoimmune and possible immune issues we have it is really easy to get these overgrowths in the GI tract and in the lungs and nasopharynx. Very few doctors are trained to be aware of this but those of us with AID need to keep this in mind.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 11:07:39 PM by irish »