Author Topic: Cytokines and weight gain  (Read 285 times)

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
Cytokines and weight gain
« on: May 06, 2019, 10:31:11 AM »
Hi there.

Anyone have or know of a study that is credible that shows any connection
between cytokines and weight gain?

Thanks,shelly
medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

Deb 27

Re: Cytokines and weight gain
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 12:48:47 PM »
https://www.cell.com/trends/endocrinology-metabolism/fulltext/S1043-2760(14)00040-X

Interesting topic eye2dry......

Did you suspect there was a connection or do you feel you have this problem? I have diabetes along with Sjogrens so it's probably true for me. However, a lot of people with auto immune diseases lose weight when they flare, so I don't know???
I am seronegative and have problems keeping my weight down. It's a very tough struggle but I also have hypothyroid/Hashimoto's.
If you google it, lots of stuff comes up. No surprise.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

Maria3667

• Cultivating a 'dry' sense of humor.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 03:58:22 PM »
Hi Shelly,

I'll believe you straight off the bat! Anything I can scapegoat for my weight gain is fine by me! As long as I don't have to go on another diet, calorie counting, etc.... Lol

On a serious note though: hormones & antidepressants are my usual suspects, but who knows cytokines add weight to the scales too... Mine are probably out of whack seeing the aches & pains throughout my body!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 04:33:10 PM by Maria3667 »
51. DES-daughter ('67), Lyme's ('98), GAD ('98), Sjogren's ('03), hypothyroid ('04), endometriosis ('14), osteoarthritis ('16), blepharitis ('18), frozen shoulder ('19). Meds: pilocarpine, T3&T4, 25mg quetiapine, low dose testosterone & progesterone. Allergies: nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 07:19:17 PM »
Thank you Deb and Maria.
As I understand it.....my RA causes inflammation......this then produces cytokines which is
our bodies form of a type of cortisone.
As you know, cortisone makes you gain weight...as I have been on it initially for 6 months back in 2010.

Shelly
medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***