Author Topic: Aspirin?  (Read 484 times)

araminta

Aspirin?
« on: April 29, 2019, 09:27:37 AM »
Apologies if this seems rather a naive post.

I am always reading that Sjogrens is an inflammatory disease, the flares happen when inflammation increases.   Is aspirin any good at dealing with this kind of inflammation - assuming we don't have other health risks with aspirin.
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

araminta

Re: Aspirin?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 09:32:29 AM »
I should have said I'm particularly thinking about the fatigue that comes from inflammation, could aspirin have any effect on that?
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 12:16:35 PM »
Hi  :)

A GP once told me that if I could tolerate 16 aspirin a day they may work as well as NSAIDs. like Diclofenac. He also pointed out that many probably would not be good for my stomach. 

Not sure that they would stave off fatigue unless the fatigue was being caused by constant pain.

Sorry - not much help. I'm sure you will get other replies and there is no such thing as a question not worth asking!

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

sixty

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 11:42:19 PM »
I think Aspirin is a wonder drug.  I mean it's so versatile and always seems to target what ever the pain may be.  Anyway, I take it daily, at least twice, sometimes more if it's a really tough day.  I take Extra Strength Excedrin cos it's got caffeine in it and sort of wakes me up.  Just thought I'd share and good luck!

araminta

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 06:58:13 AM »
Thank you very much for your posts, Scottie and Sixty, I might try taking aspirin for a few weeks to see if it makes any difference.

Unfortunately I no longer seem able to take caffeine, it gives me stomach pains.

Skylar

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 04:33:09 PM »
I rarely take Aspirin - like all medication it has side effects which I prefer to avoid.

I found changing my diet was far more effective and healthier - and it was more effective than methylprednisolone which I was taking for myositis. It doesn't cure everything, but it will put most inflammatory processes into remission.

I eat a whole foods, plant based diet by Dr. John McDougall. IF you google his name you'll find his website which has all the information for free on  what to eat and how to implement the changes. There is an active and supportive forum to help with recipes and experience including a professional dietician. I've borrowed most of his books from my library and I recommend his The Starch Solution - although the diet has remained the same since his first book so any book he wrote has the same information that is on his website under free diet information. He has some books on specific health issues such as heart so if you have these issues it's helpful to read them even if they are old. I still have Sjogren's, and my eyes and mouth are dry - it doesn't cure. But I don't have fibromalgia anymore. I still have arthritis in my joints and you can see it on my xrays...... but without inflammation I don't have pain in my joints and I have good function.

He does have a recommendation if the regular McDougall diet doesn't knock down all the inflammation, he has an elimination diet to help determine if there is a particular food you need to avoid.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 09:02:57 PM »
The docs are not pushing aspirin as much as they did before. They are starting to discourage people from taking it once a day to prevent strokes as they feel is can have the propensity to cause a stroke.

I am a retired RN and we have not given caffeine and aspirin together for decades as it can really increase the chance of a stomach ulcer with bleeding. Also aspirin used for arthritis and prescribed by a doctor is supposed to be monitored by that doctor. The same is true for NASAIDS. NASAIDS can also cause gastric bleeding and I have also seen vaginal bleeding in post menopausal women.

The first drug of choice for a sjogrens patient is Plaquenil. This drug also can decrease fatigue. Fatigue is a big problem for people with Sjogrens and you should talk to your doctor about this. Good luck. Irish

Don't ask me how the companies get by with combining aspirin and caffeine or caffeine and any drug.

araminta

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 02:55:02 AM »
Thank you for your advice, Skylar and Irish.   I will take a look at the Dr McDougall site, it sounds interesting.   I'm avoiding Plaquenil because I'm worried about the possible effect on the eyes, but am aware there are members here who seem to have success with it.   It's hard to weigh up all these different treatments and side effects.   As you say, Irish, aspirin too has its side effects.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 06:17:13 AM »
If you are having trouble with inflamation you may want to consider curcummin that active ingredient of  Tumeric. I am still on an 81 aspirin daily (heart doctor). To increase my energy levels I take Cistanchi once per day.

Before trying any of the things that I use, check for drug interactions, side effects, and counter indications. You should also check with your health care professional. When I go in to see my MD my medication and supplement list is about two pages and my allergy list is another page.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

araminta

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 07:16:03 AM »
Many thanks for your advice Joe.  You have reminded me that curcummin is meant to be a good anti-inflammatory, I plan to get some.   I will look into Cistanche too.

jazzlover

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 08:12:01 PM »
I am sensitive to salicylates .. aspirin ... and salicyates in foods, skin care products, etc.

BUT .. I can handle curcumin and it helps inflammation AND fatigue. I think inflammation definitely causes fatigue.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

araminta

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2019, 02:40:30 AM »
Thank you jazzlover, which brand of circumin do you take?   There are so many different things out there.