Author Topic: skin and ocular rosacea  (Read 418 times)

SunshineDaydream

skin and ocular rosacea
« on: April 27, 2019, 10:04:37 AM »
I had a recent experience that I found surprising so I thought I'd share here in case anyone can benefit from the information.

My dry eye situation had been getting worse lately. The increase in symptoms coincided with pollen season which is really bad where I live, so I attributed the increased discomfort to that. I was having trouble working more than 5 hours per day and my quality of life was severely affected, so I went to my ophthalmologist after trying to self treat a few days with steroid drops and anti-histamine drops to no avail.

During consultation, much to my surprise, the doctor asked if I'd been having any skin issues lately. After disclosing being diagnosed with rosacea and eczema last month, the doctor said she suspected I had ocular rosacea. She said ocular rosacea often occurs before, during or after skin rosacea as the conditions have the same triggers. I had never heard of OR. My treatment is steroid drops (Lotemax) four times per day for two weeks to try to blast it away. She initially gave me the option of taking oral doxycycline (antibiotic) for six weeks which would hopefully get rid of both skin and ocular rosacea, but I declined because I get yeast infection within 45 minutes of taking antibiotics. I read that OR is a chronic condition that goes dormant and flares up, but an off-label use of Restasis is to cure it. I'll ask my doctor about that if the Lotemax doesn't work.

Anyway, just thought I'd post about it here in case you anyone noticed, or notices in the future, increased dry eye symptoms around same time as skin rosacea diagnoses or flare.

Here's some information about it.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ocular-rosacea/symptoms-causes/syc-20375798
Sjogren's, lupus, OAB and osteopenia
Rx: Evoxac and Myrbetriq
Vitamins and Supplements: A, B complex, C, D3, E, calcium orotate, magnesium glycinate, D-Mannose, curcumin, fish oil, probiotic

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: skin and ocular rosacea
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 02:54:15 PM »
You know that is really interesting and also shows that there can be a difference in optometrists. Some eye doctors just aren't as interested or as good at picking up on these diseases that show up.

I'm glad you have a good eye doctor. We all need to be choosy about our eye doctors as we have a higher than normal chance of developing some weird eye issue that can be important to get diagnosed. Some of our issues can result in blindness so good eye doctors are key. Very hard to find them in some locations.

I will add that optometrists who are in practice with a group of ophthalmologists generally have a good reputation as the groups like this generally have a better quality control over the group of doctors. That is not to say that a single eye doctor working alone  somewhere is not good....it just is hard to find a good eye doc when a person moves into a new area and knows few people.

Good luck all Irish