Author Topic: What makes my muscles so tense?  (Read 728 times)

Maria3667

• Still cultivating that 'dry' sense of humor...
What makes my muscles so tense?
« on: April 23, 2019, 01:10:54 PM »
Still haven't been able to resolve my muscle pain. They feel hard & tense and I don't know what to do to loosen them. Also feel hard lumps/knots in my arms which shift locations.

Physiotherapist gave up on me, after 'dry needling' trigger points several times. Refered me back to GP. Only thing that's off is Vitamin D3 but supplementing causes dry eyes, emotional upset and sweating.

Anyone have a clue what else to try? Are these symptoms all down to low vitamin D3?

Any tips welcome!

« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 01:33:20 PM by Maria3667 »
51. DES-daughter, GAD, Lyme's ('98), Sjogren's ('03), hypothyroid ('04), osteoarthritis ('16), Blepharitis ('18), bilateral Frozen Shoulder ('19), pilocarpine, thyroid hormones, 25mg quetiapine, low dose testosterone. Endometriosis, cherry angiomas. Allergies: nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: What makes my muscles so tense?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 02:11:40 PM »
I do not think the symptoms are from D3. It may be related to an overall splinting action of your muscles.

I have used a progressive relaxation meditation, and an aphormation meditation (I am, calm). I have found that CBDoil in lotion form will also help to relax the muscles for me.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 08:39:17 PM »
I don't know what kind of pain you have, but would wonder if this is an inflammatory aspect related to autoimmune. Most of the autoimmune diseases will speak of muscle pain and it can be in many different ways. I have a lot of muscle cramps, spasms, etc in my back that radiate in many different areas. My neurologist says autoimmune and I do the heat alternating with the cold packs.

We have to be careful how much we stretch our muscles when we are having problems as this can cause increased symptoms. In spite of pain I will bend certain ways, etc and I have researched and read about the positions that can aggravate muscle issues. Apparently, I am slow to follow the info that I read. I don't know if you have seen an immunologist yet but finding one might help you with your ailments. Also, it should be mentioned that not all out owies can be fixed. Right now I am having 6 different ailments nagging at me and life is rather stressful. I just have to rest a lot and wait for the body to decide to drop some of them and hopefully give me a little rest before going on to the next problem. Patience is really something that one learns in order to keep on an even keel. Good luck. Irish
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 02:56:11 PM by irish »

SjoGirl

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 10:04:24 AM »
My issues with muscle pain did not subside until I started taking a combination of Imuran and Celebrex. Nothing else, PT, exercise, mild stretching, or vitamins worked. FYI a rheumy once reminded me that Sjogrens is a connective tissue disease, that means it literally impacts the body where muscle meets bone. For me that explains why it took meds to resolve the pain. It's not the path I would have chosen but these are the cards I was dealt.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

Maria3667

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 12:37:16 PM »
Hi everyone,

@Joe: I tried CBD-capsules (10 mg) but they dry me out. Does the oil have the same effect?
@Irish: wow, 6 ailments is a lot to deal with! I've fought off a couple, but maybe this one I can't resolve. Have not been to immunologist yet, I'll try to get a referral.
@Sjogirl: you could be right too. So these are the heavy guns? Any side effects on Celebrex & Imuran? I'm always a culprit for weight gain, anxiety/depression and such.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
51. DES-daughter, GAD, Lyme's ('98), Sjogren's ('03), hypothyroid ('04), osteoarthritis ('16), Blepharitis ('18), bilateral Frozen Shoulder ('19), pilocarpine, thyroid hormones, 25mg quetiapine, low dose testosterone. Endometriosis, cherry angiomas. Allergies: nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

Confused

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 04:17:58 PM »
You might want to go to the FDA site as it has a warning out on NSAIDS.  Celebrex is an NSAID.   

jazzlover

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 04:31:25 PM »
Have you tried Curcumin? It's derived from turmeric. Sure saves my life!

Also, a diet high in oxalates can deplete our minerals. If you are then low in magnesium or other minerals, your muscles will be painful.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

Maria3667

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 03:45:06 AM »
@Confused: the side effect profile of Celebrex is not so benign either, so I'll probably skip this one.

@Jazz: earlier curcuma (same as Curcumin?) worked wonders against the pain but bought on severe anxiety.

Concerning the oxolates I should be alright as I take a full spectrum of minerals.

My PCP is running a blood test for CRP (infection) and BSE (for rheumatism). Also got a referral for an osteopath. Hopefully this is the road to recovery.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 03:06:29 PM »
Remember that oxalates cause kidney stones in many people. There is no med that is side effect free. We have to pick and choose.

Also, I'm glad that collagen diseases were mentioned. Autoimmune diseases affect collagen tissue in many instances. I always think of collagen as the glue that holds things together in our body. Just about any tissue in out body is collagen or is attached to collagen or impacted by collagen tissues in some way. If a person needs an immunsuppresant then so be it. If you can take the suppressant and get along well and it works that is great.

I have tried imuran and get deathly sick when I take it. I have tried Methotrexate 3 times and because of a past history of immune deficiency I get an infection within a couple of months. This is disgusting as it does work well for me. I tried Cellcept 2 times and ended up in the hospital the last time and infectious disease told me no more of it.

At age 76 I sort of have to give things a second thought because I am ono the down side of my life. It impossible I could take a pill that could put me in dire circumstances. So, learn to tolerate the things that you can and find help for the things you can't tolerate. There are some issues that will haunt a person over and over again and we just sort of adjust to them after a while. Irish

jkcc2323

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 05:42:21 AM »
Ditto for turmeric! And, a hydro-soluble form absorbs better. Here is some of the background research on potential anti-inflammatory support: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30402990

Maria3667

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 04:25:08 PM »
@Jkcc: well I'm not so sure now it's caused by inflammation. Seeing the duration & severity of this anomaly, I now tend to lean towards bilateral frozen shoulder.

After reading up on it, it seems frozen shoulder often occurs shortly after the onset of menopause which hit me last year... Hope to get a diagnosis on Tuesday.

Being idle, sitting at home, not being able to drive is quite frankly driving me barmey... My 'high' of the day is taking a 30 minutes walk & watching my cat play in the garden...

Wishing everyone a nice weekend!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 04:27:15 PM by Maria3667 »

jazzlover

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 09:59:20 AM »

@Jazz: earlier curcuma (same as Curcumin?) worked wonders against the pain but bought on severe anxiety.

Concerning the oxolates I should be alright as I take a full spectrum of minerals.

I never have heard of curcuma, so I don't know. I buy the NOW brand of curcumin.

Taking minerals will NOT prevent the pain that a diet high in oxalates will cause. "Frozen shoulder" is highly associated with high oxalates. It doesn't take much to be in that range.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

Maria3667

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 03:18:35 PM »

Concerning the oxalates I should be alright as I take a full spectrum of minerals.

Taking minerals will NOT prevent the pain that a diet high in oxalates will cause. "Frozen shoulder" is highly associated with high oxalates. It doesn't take much to be in that range.

Hi Jazz,
I meant to say I don't eat many oxalate rich foods anyway.
Dived into Google search machine and here https://www.webmd.com/kidney-stones/kidney-stones-food-causes#1 it says high dose Vitamin C might cause trouble. That's a catch 22 situation for me, as high dose Vitamin C staves off flu like symptoms from Sjogren's. Currently take 3.000 mg, but will experiment with lower dose & see if Frozen Shoulders improves. Why doesn't my orthopedic surgeon tell me these tidbits of interesting info?

My other 'big' misdemeanor is 1 chocolate bar with maltitol daily - is frozen shoulders the price I have to pay?? That would be harder than giving up tobacco, the bean & wine combined! ... lol ...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 01:22:15 AM by Maria3667 »

jazzlover

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 05:30:46 PM »
Oh ouch .. Doctors have no clue unless you show up with kidney stones, then they MIGHT tell you to eat low oxalate.

Whatever you do, don't drop them suddenly.

One round of spinach is more than you need for a week of eating.

Trying Low Oxalates on FB is a great place for info.

I know I would not be able to eat chocolate every day without tons of pain. :( .. and Yes, high doses of Vit C are problematic. I would keep it under 200-300mg myself.

Maria3667

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 08:57:29 AM »
Thanks! I'll try that.

Orthopedic surgeon confirmed severe frozen shoulder due to adhesive capsulitis. So after all there is an infection ('clinical' he called it) but it doesn't show up in blood tests.

He gave me a prescription for 'patience'...

Best he could do. Said there is no effective treatment, body will eventually heal itself. As I'm in the 'red phase' (worst, pain will increase) which could last up to 9 months, I'll just have to ride it out and wait for 'phase 2' to arrive when physiotherapy might become effective.

Oh these nasty little curve balls life chuck's at me. Rather dismayed and sad. Can't drive, can't work. At least I'll have time to contemplate...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 10:50:27 AM by Maria3667 »