Author Topic: Mouth sores anyone?  (Read 507 times)

SjoGirl

Mouth sores anyone?
« on: April 11, 2019, 01:02:18 PM »
Do you suffer from canker sores in your mouth? If so what do you do for them?

I have not had mouth ulcers for years, over the past couple of months I've had them a few times and I have one now that is extremely painful. I have been under a lot of stress and have not been eating right for weeks, I suspect those and other items have played a role.

Any advice that anyone can offer would be much appreciated.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

Maria3667

• Cultivating a 'dry' sense of humor.
Re: Mouth sores anyone?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 01:22:33 PM »
Hi SjoGirl,

Yes the wrong type of foods & stress can be a major contributor.

Have you tried taking Zinc lozenges? I find them very effective against mouth ulcers as the zinc is absorbed by the mucosa in the mouth. Mind to eat something beforehand to prevent nausea.

Good luck!
51. DES-daughter ('67), Lyme's ('98), GAD ('98), Sjogren's ('03), hypothyroid ('04), endometriosis ('14), osteoarthritis ('16), blepharitis ('18), frozen shoulder ('19). Meds: pilocarpine, T3&T4, 25mg quetiapine, low dose testosterone & progesterone. Allergies: nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

SunshineDaydream

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 08:08:25 PM »
I have reduced occurrence of canker sores by using toothpaste that does not contain sodium lauryl sulfate. Rite-Aid brand enamel protection toothpaste is good, but there are several other SLS-free options on the market. SLS is the foaming agent in toothpaste and other products, and it's known to be an irritant.

To treat canker sores, I use OTC Kanka which is a liquid spot treatment. I put it on before going to bed for the night and the sore is gone when I wake up. A damp tea bag is a homeopathic treatment if you're into that.
Sjogren's, lupus, OAB and osteopenia
Rx: Evoxac and Myrbetriq
Vitamins and Supplements: A, B complex, C, D3, E, calcium orotate, magnesium glycinate, D-Mannose, curcumin, fish oil, probiotic

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 10:18:04 PM »
Mouth sores can also show up when a person is having increase in illness. It doesn't have to be autoimmune illnesses either. Having the flu or surgery are exam[;es of physical stress that can result in more mouth sores. Good luck. irish

sixty

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 11:44:02 PM »
I get canker sores now and then, but right now I have sores on each corner of my lips.  I've not been eating well and I think it happens because of bad nutrition and now that I've been diagnosed because of sjogrens also.  I need to eat better.

well38g

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 07:16:31 PM »
 Discuss with your doctor  prescription for Kenalog in Orabase  It helps me with canker sores.

sixty

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 07:33:40 PM »
Thank you for the suggestion well38g.  It never lasts very long so I'm lucky in that regard.

vrystaat

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 08:43:57 PM »
Please see my article on Angular Cheilitis.
Sores inside your mouth should respond to the Kenalog.

Best wishes
Sjogrens;Polymyositis;Polyneuropathy;Gastritis;GERD, Autonomic Neuropathy, Neurological complications, Trigeminal Neuralgia,Gamma 3 globulin low;Multiple infections;Brain fog; Ocular problems - blepharitis, scleritiis, dry eye,severe eye pain. Possible Inclusion body Myositis.Currently Endstage

SjoGirl

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 01:31:52 PM »
Thanks everyone these are all helpful suggestions.

My rheumatologist pointed out that these sores could be a sign of increased disease activity. I would not be surprised if that were the case because I was exhausted as well and had the chills for part of the time making me think I might have had some sort of flare.

I was also eating poorly during this time so vitamin deficiency might have played a role. I had also been traveling and using a different toothpaste though of three trips in a row this happened only twice and I used the same toothpaste each time so I don't think it's that.

My rheumy suggested that I also talk with my dentist, who I see tomorrow, about whether there are any signs of thrush. He noted that thrush can come on when one's mouth is more dry than normal. I was staying in hotels and am sure my mouth was very dry. I also wonder if I might have picked up something from the heating/cooling systems, which often harbor bacteria.

I'll send an update after I talk with the dentist. Thanks again, you are all very helpful and supportive.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.