Author Topic: Extreme skin dryness  (Read 309 times)

amberk

Extreme skin dryness
« on: April 06, 2019, 11:29:24 AM »
Hello!
I have a question, I want  see if anybody else out there ever has the same issue as me. I've been having patches of dry skin right around the sides of my nose by my nostrils. It gets so bad and irritated my skin turns completely red,sometimes it's itchy, and the texture is so rough and thick. I'm not sure how to describe it it doesn't even feel like normal skin, it gets so dry and flakey. Forget about even attempting to wear makeup! I'll put lotion on there several times a day and nothing seems to work long term. I know I'm not in a flare up because everything else feels fine it's just the skin on my nose that's really having issues. It's been coming and going for about a year. Sometimes I'll buy an oil for my skin or a lotion and that will heal it for some time before it will come back, but the products effectiveness doesn't last, I have to switch to something else. I wonder if there is a correlation my ESR numbers. They have been steadily rising over the past year. Does anybody else have anything like this and what did you do? When I was a teenager that area around my nostril was always a pretty greasy spot on my face if you know what I mean LOL but now it's like the exact opposite!  I have pretty dry skin and hair and eyes, you know all the usual stuff, it's just this one spot that is really giving me some issues right now. If anyone could give me some tips or advice I'd really appreciate it thank you!
sjogrens, raynauds, vasculitis, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, prothrombin gene mutation, plaquenil, warfarin

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Extreme skin dryness
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 09:19:03 PM »
I am just wondering if you have a hint of psoriasis. Psoriasis has symptoms of thickened skin that gets hard and thick. The skin layers affected by the autoimmune issues and doesn't shed the skin cells. They just sort of keep on building up. I am wondering if you have seen a dermatologist. There might be some lotion that would help decrease the thickness. Just a thought. Elbows and knees are often involved also. Any part of the skin can be involved with different thickness issues, scales, etc. Sometimes the fingernails are also affected. Good luck and keep us updated please. Irish

amberk

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 09:30:46 PM »
Psoriasis! I never thought about that. Lately my elbows have been in good condition, but they get so dry, especially the left one, that the skin will crack open. Usually the worst in winter months. But the skin doesn't get that same "thickness" on my elbows like it has been on my nose.  It's definitely something to look into and no I haven't seen a dermatologist. We shall see!
sjogrens, raynauds, vasculitis, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, prothrombin gene mutation, plaquenil, warfarin

araminta

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 10:05:37 AM »
Skin creams containing urea are good for helping skin to shed dead layers, and retain more moisture.
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.