Author Topic: Another one bites the dust.  (Read 611 times)

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Another one bites the dust.
« on: March 28, 2019, 03:19:09 PM »
Dearest Sjogren's Angels,

This week I found the another molar that had disintegrated and become infected.  In both cases the underlying tooth structure (both molars had crowns/caps and root canals) cracked and crumbled. Allowing infection to enter.

Before this happened the first time, I was under the impression (false!) that a tooth with a root canal and a crown would never again have a problem.  Ha!

The first molar I lost was nearer the front, so I had an implant right away.  The tooth just extracted is last tooth on the upper right, and doesn't show, so I can decide on an implant later. The dentist put in a bone graft to strengthen the jaw, so an implant will be possible.

I suppose there's NEVER a good time for costly dental work, but this is right in the middle of our move from our house to a Senior Living Community.  The house is being renovated before it can be put on the market, so we are paying our mortgage, AND rent.  Oh, well, it's always something!

So I'm taking deep breaths, Joe.  Our apartment looks like a tornado hit it........and I can do so little of the work necessary to get things settled.

One day at a time!

Regards, Elaine

Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Another one bites the dust.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 06:35:48 PM »
You have my sympathy Caroline...Those darned caps/crowns don't save our teeth. In fact I read articles that say that the crowns and caps are big carriers of infection. So many times the root has some infection or when the root is cleaned out the dentist doesn't get all the decries removed and then the infection just brews. Good luck with this process.

I feel for you cause I totally understand your house stress. I paid rent and mortgage for some months with this last move. I had put new windows and new kitchen in plus painted the whole inside, curtain,etc. I didn't do much as I was going downhill steadily. Makes me mad when I can't work.. I have to say that getting out ofo that house was such a blessing. Thought I would enjoy it but I didn't like the neighborhood or the stairs from the garage.

I am still putting things away ion this coop....when you are old and sick the energy level is so bad that don't get much done. The pile of storage containers and boxes are much less. Mostly pictures for walls, etc. Wish you good energy vibes and the ability to snap back from the stress. Moving is a young persons thingy!!!!My long distance moves years ago went like clockwork and I had a binder with everything ...all things...written down so there were no surprises. Those days are gone!!!!Blessings. Irish

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 06:15:07 AM »
Oh, Irish, it's true that I used to organize our moves down to the last detail.  And now I can't walk or stand...must sit or use a walker.  No wonder this has been a nightmare.

My lack of mobility has really made this move a nightmare.

BUT, this too shall pass.

Thanks for the words of sympathy and understanding.

Regards, Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

Maria3667

• Cultivating a 'dry' sense of humor.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 04:24:25 AM »
Hi Elaine,

I feel for you!

I had similar molar trouble last year. Root canal had been filled 15 years previously, but like Irish said some bacteria remained and brewed for years underneath the crown.

The infection came to light when my CRP was suddenly sky high and a puss drain (oral fistula) formed in my gums. Dental repair to clean out & refill root canal took 4 hours and bill of 800 Euro's. Later I was shocked to learn EDTA, amongst others, had been used as filling material. Isn't that carcinogenic? Should have asked beforehand!

Wishing you good luck with teeth, renovation and relocation!

« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 02:04:19 AM by Maria3667 »
51. DES-daughter ('67), Lyme's ('98), GAD ('98), Sjogren's ('03), hypothyroid ('04), endometriosis ('14), osteoarthritis ('16), blepharitis ('18), frozen shoulder ('19). Meds: pilocarpine, T3&T4, 25mg quetiapine, low dose testosterone & progesterone. Allergies: nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

Deb 27

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 07:06:42 AM »
Elaine,

I think anyone with Sjogrens can feel your pain right now. That was the first symptom of SJS for me, needing root canal (s). IT sure is an expensive disease, it's that or lose your teeth.

We moved last May and I could do very little. I had torn a meniscus a few months prior and was not at my best limping around. It is frustrating not to be able to do what we once could-:(

In hopes to prevent more decay, I use a water pic and I put dilute mouthwash in it. My husband's hygienist told him you could also use dilute peroxide. Time will tell if this works. For us, the lack of saliva reduces our natural barrier. It's tough.

Hang in there!!!!!

Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

SjoGirl

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 01:28:07 PM »
Oh Elaine may this soon be but a memory and that you find yourself enjoying a supportive and joyful life in your retirement community.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.