Author Topic: Facial rash  (Read 989 times)

Deb 27

Facial rash
« on: March 17, 2019, 04:32:40 PM »
Does anyone else get red rashes on their face? It kind of looks like a lupus rash but it's also on my forehead. What do you do for it? Thanks!
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

Carebear

Re: Facial rash
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 10:22:00 PM »
Hi Deb,

I have a similar sounding rash.  Mine is rosacea.  It can spread across my nose, and on to my chin, cheeks and forehead.  When it's at it's worst it is so painful, feeling prickly and burning. 

As I type this I realize that since taking gabapentin my rosacea has cleared up.  There may be no connection though.
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 01:50:32 PM »
I am going to suggest that you see your rheumy. It could be lupus, or it could be something else.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Deb 27

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 04:12:25 PM »
Thanks Joe and Carebear.  I am going to my rheumy in a week or so. I saw one Derm a few months ago that said it was auto immune. I went to the dermatologist last Friday and saw another NP and she thinks it is rosacea. I do not think it is rosacea, to be honest. I do not have fair skin or eyes.
Carebear, mine is not prickly, warm or burning. I am doubting the rosacea diagnosis. I wish it was rosacea and not auto immune! Mine seems to come and go. They gave me some meds for rosacea. We'll see how it goes! If it's not one thing, it's another!!!

Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

Skylar

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 06:11:06 PM »
Deb, anyone can get rosacea - you don't have to be fair skinned. It's easier to see on light colored skin and more common but not limited to fair skin.

I've had that "butterfly" rash for most of my life - rheumy always watches it. I also was diagnosed with rosacea. It developed into a really embarrassing stage with lesions etc. Because I was doing research with the chairman of Dermatology for several years - they threw everything at me. I've had the laser treatment three times - each time the broken red blood vessels returned.

I was surprised that it completely cleared up when I changed my diet - a significant change - only eat whole plants now. I figured my cholesterol would drop but shocked that my rosacea cleared up. While there are several theories why people get rosacea, I think the basis of it is inflammation and when I reduced my overall inflammation, I put into remission rosacea along with fibromaylgia, pain from arthritis etc. It doesn't cure my autoimmune diseases, but it makes them easier to live with.

You mention your rash has come and gone - could your level of inflammation have changed due to medication or reduction of stress or some other event in your life?

SunshineDaydream

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 08:47:55 PM »
Last week my dermatologist gave me rosacea and eczema diagnoses. Itchy. Prescribed cream for it.
Sjogren's, lupus, OAB and osteopenia
Rx: Evoxac and Myrbetriq
Vitamins and Supplements: A, B complex, C, D3, E, calcium orotate, magnesium glycinate, D-Mannose, curcumin, fish oil, probiotic

Deb 27

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 08:58:42 AM »
Skylar, I have a very strange system. That rash can fluctuate in hours!!! It's very strange.
I am sure most of us with AI disease have inflammation. I also have a very strange system with some flaws in how I process folic acid and also medications. I think the rash on my forehead is different from the rash on my cheeks. I am going to ask my rheumy next week! I've only seen him once or twice so I am not sure about him. My sed rate had doubled and my CRP was up but he was not concerned..........

Sunshine, I hope the meds help your rosacea and eczema. Ugh, you got a double whammy!

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 01:39:54 PM »
I have had rosacea since 1995. I have used doxycycline and Metro gel. For the last 8 year's
I switched to Finacea...works better.

The rosacea "rash" changes on your face depending on external temps, sunlight, spicy food, emotions
exercise, etc.

It is mostly associated with people of European ancestory.

I read several articles through out the years and it is suspected of being in the immune disease category.
I have had laser treatments to decrease mine, especially chin and nose is the worst for me.

Unfortunately, I also have ocular rosacea as well.

It is annoying. Yes, to be sure check with your rhuemy on the lupus idea.

Shelly
medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

jazzlover

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 08:28:17 PM »
Google "mast cell activation syndrome" ... could very well be "flushing" from MCAS.

It would/could fluctuate with what you eat or take in pill form.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

SjoGirl

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 01:00:24 PM »
I have Rosacea and have also had the butterfly rash of lupus though was never diagnosed with lupus. The two differ, the Rosacea comes and goes based on triggers, e.g., certain foods, heat, and sun exposure are my triggers. I have not had the lupus rash in many years and hope it does not crop up again, I have enough AIs and other issues.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

Deb 27

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 02:44:48 PM »
The rheumy said it looked like rosacea to him. The cream the dermatologist gave me seems to be working. My skin still feels funny though. It's always something but I was glad it wasn't a lupus rash!!!

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 09:31:11 PM »
I have the bad rashes, but on my forehead they are getting worse. Very red and deep looking, and if I don't keep something on them they get sore and scaly. I do have lupus. At their worst they are like disks in shape on my forehead, but the butterfly rash on the rest of my face. My dermatologist had me use Cere've cream for sun protection, and I use it in a big jar for a moisturizing cream at night. I only use glycerin soap.

susanep
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 10:15:51 PM »
To see pictures of lupus rash and roseate do a search. Use the phrase images lupus rash and also images roseate rash. This is the really easy way to do a search on almost anything that would have pictures taken. The medical community is pretty good about taking pictures of just about any visible symptom so that others can use the images to h ell in diagnoses. Irish

sixty

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 11:48:53 PM »
I sometimes use makeup to cover up the rash if I have to go out.  I don't have lupus that I know of, but I do get the rosacea.  I can feel it starting when it comes, my face gets really hot and burns.  I carry a moist towlette with me to dab my cheeks thru the day.  It help a bit.  Any coolness helps.

SjoGirl

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 01:37:30 PM »
Deb I'm pleased to hear that the cream is working. Did your dermatologist also give you a list of possible triggers?

FYI that list is very long but my dermatologist said it's usually only a few things that cause Rosacea. One way to know if something is a trigger, according to him, is if you break out fairly soon after trying a certain food or being exposed to sunshine. He is right that the rash usually comes on quickly, though mine sometimes is most evident in the morning.

It is worth experimenting with things like dairy, sunshine/heat, etc. to learn what your triggers are. I've had to forego dairy products for the most part but I do have some parmesan cheese at times because I just love it and there really isn't a good non-dairy substitute.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.