Author Topic: No dry mouth...but gum pain!  (Read 367 times)

Livia

No dry mouth...but gum pain!
« on: March 16, 2019, 04:35:23 PM »
I usually don't have dry mouth..only dry eyes. But I've been suffering from random gum pain. Sometimes it burns, other times its just achy or sharp. It comes and goes but all around my mouth. Haven't got any answer from dentist. It's not gum disease or any of the like. I'm not diabetic either. So don't know what it could be...

Bigleyj

Re: No dry mouth...but gum pain!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 04:16:27 PM »
Hi,

Try and find a dentist that knows what Sjogrens is.

I know your pain. What toothpaste do you use?  Since I stopped using standard toothpaste my mouth is so much better.  I use Biotene Dry Mouth toothpaste now and it's terrific.

Thinking of  you,
Jo.
Female, 44 Yrs, Victoria, Australia. 
Diagnosed SJS Nov 2014, diagnosed skin-only Lupus Dec 2014, overactive thyroid medicated since 2011.
 plaquenil, carbimazole, escitalopram (esipram), second generation oral saliwell stent, vitamin D.
Came off low dose Valium mid-2015 😀

Skylar

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 07:01:24 PM »
Livia, I have a second autoimmune disease in my mouth (lucky me), in addition to the dryness, when it flares up I have a lot of pain, burning,  inflammation and sometimes ulcers etc. I have lichen planus. It was diagnosed by my dermatologist. You can have this in different parts of the body but in my case it appears to be limited to my mouth.

My dentist was of no help except to notice I had inflammation which I always have as my baseline - it just flares and wanes. My rheumatologist is the one who sent me to the dermatologist for diagnosis.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 08:47:24 PM »
I had gum pain and pain under my tongue for years. This was during the many years that I was dealing with so much trouble with teeth. I got diagnosed with Sjogrens one year before I had the last 15 or so teeth pulled.

I came to the conclusion that the pain was nerve pain. So many times I would have this pain for years and then for some reason need a tooth pulled in this area. The tooth would have dried up sick looking nerves. It was hard to explain and my one good dentist didn't have a clue....he just knew there was something wrong. I used to put my finger in the bottom of my mouth under my tongue and massage the area as it would hurt so bad. Also used warm packs. So many weird things happen that are really hard to pinpoint the cause. Good luck. Irish

Livia

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 06:57:24 PM »
Hi,

Try and find a dentist that knows what Sjogrens is.

I know your pain. What toothpaste do you use?  Since I stopped using standard toothpaste my mouth is so much better.  I use Biotene Dry Mouth toothpaste now and it's terrific.

Thinking of  you,
Jo.

Thanks 4 ur input Jo..Ive been using sensodyne for about a year now...Haven't seen any improvement in my oral health since i started it...Heck it doesn't really clean teeth as they make it out to do..

Bigleyj

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 10:08:59 PM »
Oh my goodness Livia, please stop using it!!

In my experience it made my mouth worse. I kept thinking to myself imagine how bad it would be without it but then I switched and immediately had some difference. Not fixed but better than it was!

Jo. 😊

Female, 44 Yrs, Victoria, Australia. 
Diagnosed SJS Nov 2014, diagnosed skin-only Lupus Dec 2014, overactive thyroid medicated since 2011.
 plaquenil, carbimazole, escitalopram (esipram), second generation oral saliwell stent, vitamin D.
Came off low dose Valium mid-2015 😀