Author Topic: Ocular migraine  (Read 462 times)

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Ocular migraine
« on: March 14, 2019, 02:36:06 AM »
I have been having ocular migraines on and off for the past 6 months. I brought it to the attention of my eye doctor and my GP last month. The blood flow to my brain is good from the ultrasound. The MRI came back as mostly normal. They did find that I had a stroke in my distant past. Something that I thought had happened but was told I was too young for.

What I am seeing during the ocular migraine, with my eyes open or closed, starts as a port hole with a line down the center. As it gets worse, the line disapears and I often see blue sky through the port hole with black surrounding the port hole. Through the port hole I sometimes see white flully clouds, tree tops, or tops of buildings but mostly sky. It is always like I am looking a bit upwards but not a lot.

Has anyone experienced something similar?
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Skylar

Re: Ocular migraine
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 07:11:55 AM »
Sorry to hear this Joe S. Do you get them often? Do yours last a long time? Are you aware of any triggers that can bring it on? For example flashing lights or seeing certain patterns can trigger my migraines. Avoiding triggers means avoiding some migraines.

I only get the "visual migraines" which affect both eyes in the aural phase of my migraines. For me, it?s like I'm blind and everything is black but if I concentrate I can see but everything is dim as if it's nighttime. This is my typical aura and I had it once while driving home which was frightening and dangerous and there was no place to turn off the road and park. But auras can change and my scariest aura mimicked having a stroke with slurred speech and paralysis which lasted a few minutes. I was so scared but the neurologist ran all kinds of tests and reassured me it was just a temporary vascular spasm in a critical location. I've never had that "stroke aura" again and I never had a stroke either.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 08:27:22 AM by Skylar »

Skylar

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 08:28:49 AM »
edited to replace ? with " and '. For some reason when I post from my laptop this forum turns them into question marks which annoys me because I find it interrupts the flow of reading.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 10:32:26 AM »
I had something a little similar back in 1985 when my dad passed away and I was under a lot of stress. I started having episodes of see what looked like trees in my vision. it was like little tree branches without the leaves. I didn't have headaches but sort of a pressure weird feeling in my eyes. I would have to rest them a lot. They were called migraines because it had to do with the dilation of the little vessels in my eyes. I had it about 6 months or so and I have not had it since.

I think this iss a little different from yours. Good luck. Irish

SjoGirl

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 11:30:58 AM »
Joe, I am very sorry. If you have not had an ocular migraine it's difficult to understand how painful they can be. I had my first many years ago when I had a very stressful job/life and they started again after menopause.

Mine auras look like mandalas which sometimes spin. Otherwise, I will see jagged lines and they will flash. I was on medication for them for some time, Gabapentin, but they seem to have subsided since I started taking Imuran and a pain med so I was able to stop the Gabapentin.

Not sure if what I have said is helpful, hope so.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 11:39:17 AM »
Thank you Skylar and Irish for responding. I have not identified any triggers yet.That is why I ask for for options from the eye doctor. I have had traces or trails from other migraines years ago. So this port hole thing has been different. Having a nap helps to get rid of it. I have used naps for this for many years. It was nice to have confirmation of the stroke.

Skylar, your experience while driving sounds bad. I hope you have found a good way to manage the migraines.

Irish, I am glad you got them under control.
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 11:44:53 AM »
Thank you Sjogirl for you comment. Those migraines that you mentioned are similar to the ones that I had after the first Auto accident in 1983. They sent me to bed for weeks at a time. I am glad you have them under control.

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 05:04:42 PM »
I have something called scintillating scotoma, which is classic visual or ocular migraine. It starts as a small kalidoscopic disc, slightly to the right of center in my field of vision, and expands into a growing interrupted circle with a break at 4 o'clock, getting larger for about half an hour then fades out. My optho seems more concerned with the break in the circle than the image itself, but he doesn't worry about it, so i just relax and enjoy the light show LOL. Happens a couple of times a year randomly, no consistent activity or other triggers that I can see
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 06:12:45 PM »
Wow Linda, that sounds frustrating. I am glad yours is not often.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 06:44:45 PM »
Joe, Just wondered if you had done a search for discussion forums on ocular migraines. There might be more info out there. irish

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 02:09:24 AM »
No, I have not. I will have to check. Thank you for the idea.

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 07:10:42 AM »
I have "regular migraines" with severe headache, nausea with vomiting, light and sound sensitivities.

Then I also have the ocular migraines. I get these with or without a head ache.  I can be looking at someone
and their head can just be a black hole. Or, just half of a room is visible...the rest being just black. It can
last a few minutes to 1/2 hour. The black hole vision can change locations.

First time I had one 20 years ago, I thought I was going blind...it happened at work.

Shelly
medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 12:49:37 PM »
Shelly, that sound so bad. I hope you found a way to manage it.

Irish, while I did not find answers on another forum. I did do a deeper dive into the on line medical files. When I searched for Porthole migraine, it suggested several causes: a) Diabetic Retinopathy, b) Glaucoma, c) blood pressure drop. Since I have all three I may have found my trigger. I meditate a lot to make it through my day. The article suggested that meditation my be the trigger.

I have yet to try to check my Blood Sugar.

Sweetcheex76

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 11:21:50 AM »
Joe, I have been getting ocular migraines for about 5 years. They're no fun, are they? When I first started having them, it was scary but as I learned more about them, I feel grateful that I don't have the migraine headache which often accompanies the visual aura after it goes away. Mine usually last about 20-30 minutes. It starts with a "hole" in my vision which I can't see through, then quickly develops a sparkling, colorful sparking edge. The hole grows bigger and bigger and the sparkling edge eventually circles the entire hole. They don't come on often but when they do, I lay in a dark room, close my eyes and take comfort that in a half hour, it will be gone. Hang in there, Joe. Hope it helps to know you're not alone. This video is a quick visualization of what happens, except the sparkles go all the way around and it lasts much longer. https://youtu.be/qVFIcF9lyk8
Sjogren's, Trigeminal Neuralgia, Reynaud's, Fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, ocular rosacea, rosacea, endometriosis, ADHD, anxiety, depression, pre-diabetes.

Plaquenil, Cevimeline, Restasis, Metformin,  Vyvanse, Xiidra, prescription ibuprofen, Vitamin D

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 02:07:02 PM »
Sweetcheex76 At least you know how to manage them.

I did some on line research as suggested by Irish and found that diabetic retinopathy, Glaucoma, and ??? may be linked to them. I do not remember the third. It may have been stroke related. Apparently from my MRI I had one decades ago.

While at the VA today waiting to check in, I had one come on. As I was trying to check in at the terminal, my vision went. Jan went back and checked me in. I sat down, I opened a soda and started to drink. Half way through the can, I could focus enough to take my blood sugars. They were 65. I should have been up 100 points by that time. My sugars were extremely low and that may be the trigger of my ocular migraine.