Author Topic: Contact Lenses deliver eye medication in controlled doses  (Read 594 times)

markt

Contact Lenses deliver eye medication in controlled doses
« on: March 06, 2019, 08:46:34 AM »
https://newatlas.com/contact-lenses-deliver-eye-medication/20504/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-173258/Medicated-contact-lenses-away-drops.html

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20100325/Special-medicated-contact-lenses-can-help-treat-common-eye-disorders.aspx

For what it's worth, this is the future... at least for me.

I know that TearSolutions, Allergan, etc. are all patent holders for medicated contact lenses and will selectively begin trials for contact lens application of various medications.  (e.g. Lacriprep).

In my opinion, this is a gift from God himself that all of this is coming about...   You all can read for yourself about the various applications for such contact lenses (Dry Eye, Glaucoma, and other indications).

Contacts have afforded much normalcy in regards to treating dryer eye and associated inflammation.  Having purposely medicated lenses could only make things so much better/easier.

- Mark
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 08:48:29 AM by markt »

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Re: Contact Lenses deliver eye medication in controlled doses
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 04:41:37 AM »
Sign me up.

If the lenses are corrective as well......a miracle, indeed!

I worked in the industry, back in the day,  (Bausch and Lomb) and I'm amazed at the progress that is being made.

Regards, Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

Sharon

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 01:40:30 PM »
Can't happen soon enough for me...
Xiidra is causing me severe irritation so after trying everything else out there I have nothing more to try.
Only to wait.  :-\
Sjogren's (+ RA?) positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA salivary gland swelling, dry mouth & eyes,, eyelid swelling & redness, photosensitivity, fatigue, severe joint pain, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions 
Orencia, Restasis, Paleo Diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 200mg, Omega 3...

Deb 27

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 02:39:58 PM »
That sounds good! Like Elaine, it would be good for me if they were progressive lenses but that's probably hoping for too much . I thought they already had lenses that helped with dryness but I never checked into it, so I am not sure.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

Tharrell

• There has to be humor in this somewhere!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 06:00:48 AM »
Right now there are scleral lenses and daylilies contact lenses specifically for dry eyes. I tried the daililies, they were supposed to add moisture as I wore them. However, by evening time when it was time to remove them, I had a huge problem. It took me a half a bottle of eye drops for each eye to soak the contacts of my eyeballs in order to pry them loose. I never tried it again. I was lucky I did not tear my actual lenses.
However, it did feel like heaven to have them in. They made a huge difference! My eyes were so protected, like they were bandaids!
MCTD, sjogren's,dRTA,CVID, sero neg. ra,achalasia,Morvan’s syndrome,familial dysautonomia,POTS, MCI, IC. Occular neuromyotonia migraines,raynauds,B6,Florinef, propanolol,IVIG, sodium bicarb, plaquenil,requip,B2,topiramate, synthroid,diazepam,trulance,enbrel,cevimeline,
arava,ranitidine

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 03:59:14 PM »
Interesting, Tharrell,

When I developed corneal abrasions from my contact lenses because my eyes had suddenly, overnight, become terribly dry, the ONLY thing that gave me relief was WEARING the very contact lenses that caused the problem. 

I developed the problem on a visit to Hawaii, and I wore the contacts on the plane home.  I usually did NOT wear contacts on the plane, but I had no choice.

That's because the contacts acted like bandages, which is what my ophthalmologist told me.

Needless to say, I had to have intense antibiotic therapy and was lucky it wasn't worse.

My corneas looked like 'hamburger'!  EEKK.

Anyway, I had to give up contacts, this was in 2002.  BUT, my ophthalmologist tested me for cataracts, and at 60 I had the lens replacement surgery.  And I didn't wear contacts and I didn't need glasses.

That lasted until I developed Astigmatism in 2010.  Honestly, it IS always something.  So now I wear glasses, which I hate, but I have no choice.

So contact lenses that moistened my eyes AND corrected my vision are a winner all around.

Staying tuned!

Hugs, Elaine

Of course
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3