Author Topic: Shingles vaccine?  (Read 1103 times)

Skylar

Shingles vaccine?
« on: March 12, 2019, 06:18:33 AM »
I had the Zostavax vaccine when it came out but my PCP wants me to get the Shingrix. This new vaccine is more effective but it also contains QS-21 Stimulon which is an ?immune potent? adjuvant designed to stimulate the immune response. This QS-21 makes me hesitant about getting it. I?m currently not on any medications except thyroid. I would hate to have a bad flare that requires medication. On the other hand I don?t want shingles.

Have you had Shingrix vaccine and did you have any side effects?  Did you consider the implications of he immune potent adjuvant?

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Re: Shingles vaccine?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 03:13:45 PM »
Dear Skylar,

My Duke Research Immunologist told me to get the Shingrix Vaccine.  I had both doses last Spring/Summer with absolutely no side effects.  However, I'm a sample size of one, so not very useful for making a decision.

I researched the literature using "Shingrix side effects pubmed" as my search term.

While most reports seem to indicate success in the majority of cases, there are some reports indicating that caution should be exercised for some patients.

Even the report that found some unpleasant side effects and even very rare deaths following immunization, stated that the incidence of problems is consistent with problems reported for any medication administered to a very large number of people.

Of course, If YOU are the one in a million with a problem, then that problem is unacceptable to you.

I think you are wise to think this through carefully, Skylar. 

Here are two of the reports I found.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/68/wr/mm6804a4.htm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29457489

Regards, Elaine

Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

Skylar

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 03:43:18 PM »
Thanks Elaine  I?m going to read those two reports.

Carolina

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 06:08:36 PM »
BTW, I had the earlier live vaccine in 2007 before we went to China.

Once I was identified in 2012 as having Immune Deficiency, my Immunologist was horrified that I had risked the vaccine.  Of course, I didn't know I had CVID.

I AM terrified of having shingles, so I will do anything to reduce that possibility.

I have seen shingles so disable an elderly woman that  I'm sure it hastened her death. AND the pain never went away.  The pain can last more than 5 years, I guess.

Regards, Elaine
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 03:24:03 PM by Carolina »
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

Skylar

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 07:00:15 PM »
Elaine, I had the the Zostavax vaccine at the insistence of my rheumatologist.

I had done a search and read older posts on shingles and read what you wrote about that poor woman. I am leaning towards having the Shingrix especially since the Zostavax if it works, may only protect for 5 years and it's been close to 5 years since I got it. While I'm scared of having a reaction from the vaccine, I'm more concerned about the potential for shingles.

Carebear

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 09:03:40 PM »
Hi Skylar,

My doctor recommended I begin the Shingrix shots last summer.  My experience should not deter you because I was told by the pharmacist that my reaction was relatively uncommon.

Both shots made my arm swell up,  and it was very painful and red for a month.   I had severe flu-like symptoms during that time as well.  It took all my strength to get the second shot, but I knew I had to. 

Like Elaine,  I am terrified to get shingles.  I have had two close members of my family who had it.  Each suffered for years, and treatment was ineffective.  So my experience with the vaccination is nothing compared with shingles.  I would do it all again.  Unhappily.   But I would do it.
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 01:05:29 AM »
I get the second dose later this month.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Skylar

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 09:57:50 AM »
Carebear and Joe S.  Thanks for your reply and knowing you both had it makes me more resolved to do it.

Carebear your response is not what I hope I experience, but it is my fear.  I?m going to time it for when I can deal with swelling and pain. I swell for everything, including injections of water years ago that the immunologist used as a control when allergy testing. It?s reassuring that you survived and went back for the second shot.

SjoGirl

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 01:58:05 PM »
Had Shingrex shot and had zero side effects.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

Skylar

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 05:18:25 PM »
Thanks SjoGirl.  I hope I?m lucky and don?t have any side effects.

Tharrell

• There has to be humor in this somewhere!
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 04:35:49 AM »
The new Shindrix vaccine is the one recommended for people with autoimmune diseases. I did hear that there is a shortage though? Has that been fixed? It’s on my list to ask my rheumatologist at the end of the month.
MCTD, sjogren's,dRTA,CVID, sero neg. ra,achalasia,Morvan’s syndrome,familial dysautonomia,POTS, MCI, IC. Occular neuromyotonia migraines,raynauds,B6,Florinef, propanolol,IVIG, sodium bicarb, plaquenil,requip,B2,topiramate, synthroid,diazepam,trulance,enbrel,cevimeline,
arava,ranitidine

jazzlover

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 03:17:15 PM »
My "healthy" friend just had the first of two shots on Tuesday and spent all day Wednesday in bed.

I am not convinced the shots protect us. What is the efficacy of these shots?

Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

Carolina

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 03:27:41 PM »
From one published research study:

Overall vaccine efficacy for HZ/Su for participants over 50 y of age appeared to decrease with time (from 96.6% at year 1 to 87.9% at year 4), however the authors conclude that the difference was not statistically significant and this will need to be followed up with longer term studies.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5557227/

Almost 88% effective against Shingles at year four.  I'm in favor of that, for sure.

Regards, Elaine

Skylar

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 08:20:54 PM »
The new Shindrix vaccine is the one recommended for people with autoimmune diseases. I did hear that there is a shortage though? Has that been fixed? It’s on my list to ask my rheumatologist at the end of the month.
there?s still some shortages where I am and they want to keep new doses available for the people who are returning for their second dose. Some pharmacies now have some doses for new patients. The pharmacy I get my prescriptions doesn?t have any nor do nearby ones but if I don?t mind driving a distance there are ones I can go to.

I?m surprised that Shingrix was recommended for people with autoimmune diseases given that the QS-21 is suppose to activate and make your immune system go into over drive to help boost the number of people who develop protection from shingles.

Skylar

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 08:23:23 PM »
My "healthy" friend just had the first of two shots on Tuesday and spent all day Wednesday in bed.

I am not convinced the shots protect us. What is the efficacy of these shots?
Jazzlover, I?m sorry about your ?healthy?. I will have to plan my shot carefully in case I get an unpleasant and unwelcome reaction to it.