Author Topic: Shingles vaccine?  (Read 577 times)

Jenny

Re: Shingles vaccine?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2019, 04:26:38 AM »
I had it last month with no side effects, as did my husband.
63 year old female with back, shoulder, neck and knee pain, dry mouth, losing teeth, dry sinuses,Blood test positive for Sjogrens. Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis .
Maloxicam, Lisinopril, Norco, misc.vitamins
4 discs in low back fused. Shoulder replaced 2015 & 2017 Need knee replaced.
4 hand surgeries

Tharrell

• There has to be humor in this somewhere!
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2019, 05:46:05 AM »
The Shingrix vaccine is a dead vaccine, while the older version was a life vaccine.
It is also more effective than the older version.
. Studies have shown that Shingrix is effective. Shingrix was 97% effective against shingles in those 50 years and older and 89.8% effective for those 70 and older.1 Evidence has demonstrated that Merck's Zostavax vaccine reduces the overall incidence of shingles by 51% and the incidence of PHN by 67% for patients 60 or older
https://www.pharmacytimes.com/contributor/jennifer-gershman-pharmd-cph/2018/01/4-things-pharmacists-should-know-about-the-shingrix-vaccine
MCTD, sjogren's,sero neg. ra,achalasia,Morvan’s syndrome,familial dysautonomia MCI, IC. Occular neuromyotonia,migraines,raynauds,
Plasmapheresis,plaquenil,requip,B2,topiramate, synthroid,diazepam,linzess,enbrel,cevimeline,
arava,prednisone, levsin sublingual, ranitidine

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2019, 04:02:51 PM »
What is the efficacy of these shots?

96.6% protection in the first year, dropping slightly to 88% protection by year 4.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5557227/

I'm up for that!

Had the vaccinations last summer.

Regards, Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

aussie mum

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2019, 12:25:24 AM »
I'm recovering from shingles.  I had it on my face.

As I'm still in my 50's, I was told I was too young to have the vaccine.
Bizarre as it turns out I wasn't too young to get shingles.

I'm still struggling with the nerve pain,  especially on my nose,  right where my glasses sit. My eye is also a bit uncomfortable and light sensitive.

I get headaches and still tire easily,  especially after a day at work looking at the computer.

Goodness knows how long this will last.  :'(
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 12:30:11 AM by aussie mum »
Daughter - SJS, Lupus, Underactive Thyroid, Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome & Insulin Resistance.

Me - Ankylosing Spondylitis, Total Thyroidectomy, Endometriosis, Adenomyosis, High Blood Pressure, Hiatus Hernia, Dry Eyes & Mouth, Stomach Issues, Enbrel, Thyroxine, Atacand, Pariet, Krill Oil, Vit D

Skylar

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2019, 07:33:07 PM »
I had it last month with no side effects, as did my husband.
Jenny, that's reassuring.

Thanks Tharrell and Carolina.

I'm recovering from shingles.  I had it on my face.

As I'm still in my 50's, I was told I was too young to have the vaccine.
Bizarre as it turns out I wasn't too young to get shingles.

I'm still struggling with the nerve pain,  especially on my nose,  right where my glasses sit. My eye is also a bit uncomfortable and light sensitive.

I get headaches and still tire easily,  especially after a day at work looking at the computer.

Goodness knows how long this will last.  :'(
Oh my goodness, how awful. I've known others how have have shingles at a young age - as you point out you're too young for the vaccine but not too young to get shingles. Will your doctor allow you to have the vaccine when you're over this bout of shingles based on your history? How long have you had the shingles and it's side effects? I hope that you find relief soon.

aussie mum

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2019, 12:32:25 PM »
In all respects I was very lucky my shingles weren't too severe.  I had the antivirus medication which must have helped.

I am on a biological medication which lowers my immunity so I assume that's what made me more susceptible to Shingles.

In Australia, the shingles vaccine is free for everyone over 70. You can pay for it yourself if you're over 60. I was told you're not allowed to have it if you're under 60.

I will be talking to my Rheumy about my future options. I have to be careful with any vaccine I take because of the biological.

I'm now six weeks down the track....
The welts from my shingles have completely healed. 
The nerve pain remains.
Daughter - SJS, Lupus, Underactive Thyroid, Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome & Insulin Resistance.

Me - Ankylosing Spondylitis, Total Thyroidectomy, Endometriosis, Adenomyosis, High Blood Pressure, Hiatus Hernia, Dry Eyes & Mouth, Stomach Issues, Enbrel, Thyroxine, Atacand, Pariet, Krill Oil, Vit D

Skylar

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2019, 06:17:14 PM »
In all respects I was very lucky my shingles weren't too severe.  I had the antivirus medication which must have helped.

I am on a biological medication which lowers my immunity so I assume that's what made me more susceptible to Shingles.

In Australia, the shingles vaccine is free for everyone over 70. You can pay for it yourself if you're over 60. I was told you're not allowed to have it if you're under 60.

I will be talking to my Rheumy about my future options. I have to be careful with any vaccine I take because of the biological.

I'm now six weeks down the track....
The welts from my shingles have completely healed. 
The nerve pain remains.
YOu were lucky to have antivirus medication. Makes sense that with your lower immunity you were more susceptible - taking those biological drugs complicate things. I hope you post back what your rheumy recommends.

jazzlover

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2019, 08:34:35 PM »
Just for grins, I asked my GP about the new shingles vaccine. He said he would not recommend it to ME. (probably not for anyone at this point)

He has a patient who became extremely ill from it (one shot..never went back for another). He is a corporate exec and had to quit his job, which was bringing him a 6-figure income.

He lost 60 pounds and one of the things that happened to him is that his tendons ruptured and he got TMJ from it.

I do believe I will pass on this one.

If I get shingles, I will go to the doctor ASAP and get the anti-viral .. and then pray.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease