Author Topic: Tooth extraction soon, implant? Help  (Read 879 times)

Skylar

Re: Tooth extraction soon, implant? Help
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2019, 07:20:18 PM »
Tinker, I always ask for one of those blocks if the dentist has to work for awhile. That block saved straining your muscles trying to keep your mouth open, it allowed your mouth to relax during the surgery.

I suspect that in your case it's not the block, but all the inflammation and stress from having the tooth pulled and all the inflammation is affected everything in the vicinity. When you think about it, having a tooth removed is quite the assault on the mouth - then there's the hole that needs to be heeled and perhaps they packed in some cadaver bone which is another new thing your body has to deal with. Lots of reason for pain and swelling. Have you called your dentist? Maybe there is something they can give you to help tide you over this painful stage?

I've had great help with pain and inflammation following Dr. John McDougall's diet - his website has the complete information needed to follow it, but I also borrowed his books from the library. It really is an anti-inflammatory a diet and I've had many pain free days since starting eating this way over 10 years ago. I hope you can try it and find some relief. I actually found it more effective than the cortisone I was taking just prior to changing my diet.

I'm also glad you switched dentists - how lucky were you to find such a highly qualified dentist.

Tinker

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2019, 08:14:44 PM »
Oh, Skylar, I wish what you said is true.  But, unfortunately, it don't think it is. 

When I had a root canal last yr., the endodontist put the blocks in and immediately I felt the uncomfortable stretch in my jaws.  They were removed and I did fine w/out them.

When I saw the oral surgeon asst. for my my one wk.  followup last week, I did tell the asst. that I was having having pain in my jaws.  She volunteered that sometimes this happens when blocks are used and the mouth is held open for extended periods.

The advice I was given was to use a heating pad on both sides (kinda hard to do), massage, and don't chew anything.  So,  this is only helping a little and I"m sure hoping they will give a muscle relaxer.  The ones I have are of small benefit.  Ativan works but getting a script for that may be an issue.  I only need enough to get me through the next week , not a month's supply or anything.

If I do try to chew something, I PAY for it.  I"m just taking liquids, mashed potatoes, frozen yogurt, mac and cheese creamed, applesauce...my options are limited.

Ugh, anti-inflammatories might help but I've got this ulcer so that is contraindicated. 

Truly, having this tooth pulled was only scary before the fact.  It was the easiest thing I've had done in a long time...except for this  chewing issue.  The extraction was so simple:  no bleeding, no pain, no swelling and no memory due to Versed.

I have thought of looking into an anti-inflammatory diet but haven't yet.  The ulcer , no citrus or acid, caffeine/coffee restrictions have me so limited I can't find much to eat. 

Thanks for your reply and maybe I can try the antinflammatory diet soon.  It can't hurt.  I'm glad it has worked for you and it certainly makes a lot of sense.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 08:23:09 PM by Tinker »

Skylar

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2019, 06:21:45 PM »
Tinker - you're probably right - but I think I'm right too.......

I always ask for a child size block. If they give me the adult block it's too large and I get sore from having my mouth forced open too wide - within a few seconds it's uncomfortable. I get sore if I have to hold my mouth open for an extended time and I also get sore if they give me a block that's too large. Like Goldilocks - I need the children's block, not the baby block and not the adult sized block. If you ever have to have your mouth open an extended time - try the child block. It should feel completely comfortable in your mouth before they start to work.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2019, 11:06:21 AM »
My son had the jaw pain when he had his tonsils removed. He had a very small jaw and they had to pry his mouth open and put blocks in there so they could reeve his tonsils. He could hardly eat for close to a month. The hot water bottle in those days helped and tylenol helped for the pain. Just had to wait til his muscles recovered. The main thing was making sure he got nutrition and fluids. Malts, popsicles etc. Irish.