Author Topic: Lipstick for our Sjoggie lips  (Read 699 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Lipstick for our Sjoggie lips
« on: February 08, 2019, 10:29:58 AM »
Hi - looking for suggestions of Lipsticks that those of us with dry lips use.  For me, 90% of the time, I just use Vaseline on my lips.

As the years have progressed and I've transitioned from a brunette to a silver fox - I need some color on my lips. 

On occasion, I have tried various colors and brands of lipstick.  I hate to spend the money on something I tried once and don't like.

I have two essential criteria I am looking for:

1)  It needs to be fragrance free (if they make such a thing).  I am very sensitive to smells and don't like the fragrance that lipsticks have.

2)  It has to be moisturizing to my lips, not something else to dry them out more than they already are.

I have tried Bert's Bee - it makes my lips tingle, so I only tried it once.

My mother always wore red lipstick and it looked good on her.  Me, I don't think I'm a red lipstick kind of gal.  My sister use to wear this hot pink lipstick (that looked awful on her, but I wasn't going to tell her that, she thought she looked good).  You don't mess with your older sister! The three lipsticks I have (two never used yet) are:  NYC Snowcone (I wear this over my vaseline to give a little color), NYC Violet Shine (more of a mauve color), Wet n Wild Pink Ice/Glace Rose.

Any suggestions?  Do you know of any company that offers small "samples" of lipsticks to try before buying them?

Bucky 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 11:18:52 AM by Bucky »
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Maria3667

• Cultivating a 'dry' sense of humor.
Re: Lipstick for our Sjoggie lips
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 03:36:09 PM »
Hi Bucky,

Unfortunately I find every lipstick to be drying. I've given up totally.

Like you I simply use Vaseline. Also find a mixture of collagen & hyaluronic acid sooths lip burning. Expensive though!

Good luck in your quest. Hope someone has the golden tip for you!
51. DES-daughter ('67), Lyme's ('98), GAD ('98), Sjogren's ('03), hypothyroid ('04), endometriosis ('14), osteoarthritis ('16), blepharitis ('18), frozen shoulder ('19). Meds: pilocarpine, T3&T4, 25mg quetiapine, low dose testosterone & progesterone. Allergies: nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 04:23:41 AM »
Unfortunately, the only suggestion I had was the tinted Burt's Bees, and you've already tried that without success. It actually makes my lips tingle too, briefly, but that's better than the burning I get from various other "balms". Wondering if you have any allergy or hypersensitivity to bee stings, which might increase your reaction to the bee's wax.

My grandkids experimented with making their own glosses, using freeze dried berries, ground up in coconut oil and beeswax, but freeze dried berries aren't always easy to come by ( I happened to find a package in the markdown bin at the bulk store) and the process is messy (when kids do it) and time consuming.

There's a line I've seen in the US, but not here in Canada, called BadgerBalm, but it contains beeswax , too, so if that's the issue, it may not work for you either.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Liz D.

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 06:36:25 AM »
I also have a terrible lip problem and am always looking for something new and moisturizing!  I recently tried O’Keefes Lip Balm that was helpful. I found it at Walmart.   I put that on and then massage Aquaphor ointment into my lips. 

As far as lipstick, I found a tinted pink gloss at Sephora called Fenty Besuty by Rihanna.  It’s pricey at $18 but it does not seem to irritate my lips like all the others.

Liz D.
55 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 400 mg; Synthroid 100mcg; Evoxac, Flovent, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., Hormone Replacement Therapy, vitamins, calcium, flaxseed, biotin

warmwaters

• Just keep swimming - Dora
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 09:59:45 PM »
I use Vaseline with Rose. It is pinkish in color, and is basically Vaseline with a bit of rose extract. There is a scent to it, but the scent is mild. And it's inexpensive, so if you don't like it, you haven't spent a lot.
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

Cassi307

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 05:51:20 AM »
 Have you tried IT Cosmetics lipstick line?
Sjogren's, seronegative RA,  ckd, hyperparathyroidism, asthma,  osteoporosis, tremors, macular degeneration. Meds:  cardizem cd, low dose Prednisone, Rituxan, Preservision, calcium with d

SjoGirl

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 09:23:10 AM »
I am not sure if this message will pass muster because I am going to mention brands and stores. I have had luck with Ulta's lip glosses and frankly with any form of lip gloss. Neutrogena makes chap-type sticks which have color in them and there is no tingling after use. FYI places like Ulta and CVS will take back cosmetics if you try and don't like them or they cause issues, you just have to have your original receipt.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 07:51:03 PM »
Ladies, thanks for the suggestions.

I've stood looking at the different Burt Bee's lipsticks, picking them up, putting them back.  Picking it up, putting it back.  I'm too chicken to spend the money on something that I'm not sure about.

I've never heard of IT Cosmetics, I'll have to check it out.

I did do some research and found that there ARE some fragrance-free lipsticks on the market.  Some priced at $18 and up, that is more than I want to spend on a lipstick. I'm still trying to find a company that will send me a sample(s) to try for free.

The search continues . . . .

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)