Author Topic: We're Moving to a Senior Living Community in March!  (Read 351 times)

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: We're Moving to a Senior Living Community in March!
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 07:52:18 PM »
Men are not as social as women usually. Maybe if he pretends he is deaf people will not bother him as much. It may be that after you are settled he will not be as against it. There is a couple in the coop where I live and I have known them for 30 years. They lived on the farm and he so did not want to move but she is getting more frail and having trouble walking. He walks about 3 miles a day in the halls here. He rides bike also in summer and was riding up to 5 miles a day until the past year.

Maybe your husband will find things to do. I get so bored at times even though I am not settled...;pictures to hang, papers to sort, etc. Tooday I read a bird magazine and got to thinking that maybe I could go bird watching with binoculars when spring comes. I do get cooped up and this winter is so bad.

Never fear, your hubby will find a truck and helpers by Friday I bet. Have a good day to move and don't either one of you overdo cause it can set back all the other things that need to be done. Old is not fun is it!!!!!! Hugs. Irish

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2019, 06:24:28 AM »
Hi Irish,

Yes, I hope he will be OK.  He's highly introverted so he does't 'share' his thought process.  I'm highly extraverted so I think if he does't say anything he isn't 'thinking" about anything. That's not true, of course.

On the topic of "Old is not fun":

1.  People get 'old' at different times and in different ways.

2.  There is a huge bias against the old. 

Even when we get old, we are biased against other old people.

I heard my husband tell his sister on the phone: "there are so many old people" where we are going.  My husband will be 80 in May.   If 80 isn't old, what is?

3.  There IS always a point when 'old is no fun', for sure.  Since we both have a host of immune related disorders, our experience of getting old is difficult, Irish.

4.  As I meet people at our new Senior Living Community, I try to see the 'person' behind the wrinkles and grey hair. 

I've met two women who have had strokes but still have mental acuity.   People who've had strokes often speak very softly, so now I wear my hearing aids so I can pay attention to what they're saying.

Last night at dinner we sat with a lawyer, and his wife, a retired journalist and director of communications for our public television station.  The woman that sat next to me, who had had a stroke 10 years ago, is a retired school psychologist.  These are interesting people! 

But my husband just wanted to get away and go home, I could tell.   I hope he makes some friends and find some activities in our new home.  He doesn't have any friends now, but he's always been busy with the house and yard and so lack of friends hasn't been important to him.

We'll see.  This is our newest adventure in a long history of new adventures.  I'm looking forward to it, because I want to make the best of it. 

Regards, Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2019, 02:30:22 PM »
So, the new adventure process has begun!!  I'm sure it's nice to just walk in, sit down to eat, and then leave without having to shop, cook, and cleanup after!  I'd be all in for that!!

I'm sorry to hear that this is a difficult transition for your husband.  I think my husband would be in the same boat.  My husband is more of a loner and doesn't join into conversations and interaction with others - I'm the social one and will strike up conversations at the grocery store, etc. 

When you mentioned that your husband was use to being busy with the house and yard - maybe, he could volunteer to help out in the gardens or green space that I'm sure your complex has.   Does your husband have any type of hobbies?

Wishing you both well as you finish up at your current home and make the transition to your new apartment.  Pace yourselves.

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2019, 04:09:47 PM »
Oh Caroline, You are so right. There are a lot of old people where I live also. My sister is in an assistive living and is also a retired nurse. She sits at lunch with one 60 year old, 2--90 year olds and one 105 year old. They are so crabby and bossy that she is going nuts some days. Life is what it is and there isn't a darned thing we can do about it.

Your table mates sound so interesting. Maybe they could visit my sister some noon. lol 8) 8) 8) Irish
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 12:15:36 AM by irish »