Author Topic: The MRI of my Neck - Can anyone interpret?  (Read 408 times)

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
The MRI of my Neck - Can anyone interpret?
« on: February 07, 2019, 04:52:12 AM »
Dear Sjogren's Angels,

I had an MRI of my Cervical Spine.   This is what was found.

Have you had experience with neck issues, and what do you think about my neck.

My pain is unrelenting, head neck and between my shoulder blades.

FINDINGS:

Posterior fossa: The visualized posterior fossa is normal in appearance.
Cervical spinal cord: The cervical spinal cord has normal signal
intensity.
Bone marrow: Multilevel reactive endplate changes with loss of
intervertebral disc heights and endplate sclerosis.

Alignment: The alignment of the cervical spine is normal on these supine,
neutral images.

C2-C3: Small central disc osteophyte complex results in mild ventral thecal
sac effacement but no canal stenosis. No neuroforaminal narrowing. Mild
facet arthrosis and uncovertebral spurring.

C3-C4: Small central disc osteophyte complex results in mild ventral
thecal sac effacement, but no canal stenosis. Facet arthrosis and mild
uncovertebral spurring results in mild-moderate right and mild left
neuroforaminal narrowing.

C4-C5: Disc osteophyte complex results in ventral CSF effacement without
canal stenosis. Moderate facet arthrosis and uncovertebral spurring, right
greater than left. Moderate-severe right and mild left neuroforaminal
narrowing.

C5-C6: Disc osteophyte complex, uncovertebral spurring, facet arthrosis
results in ventral thecal sac impression, but no canal stenosis.
Moderate-severe bilateral neuroforaminal narrowing.

C6-C7: Disc osteophyte complex results in ventral CSF impression, but no
canal stenosis. Facet arthrosis and uncovertebral spurring. No

C7-T1: No disc protrusion, canal narrowing, or foraminal narrowing. Facet
arthrosis.

Right paracentral disc protrusion at T2-T3 without canal stenosis. There is
encroachment on the right neuroforamen and resulting in mild-moderate

IMPRESSION: Multilevel spondylosis, as detailed above, most prominent at
C5-C6 resulting in bilateral moderate-severe neuroforaminal narrowing.

What do you think?  I'll let you know what the surgeon says today.

Regards, Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

SjoDry

• "When you are battling with a gorilla, you don't g
    • Sjodry and Parched
Re: The MRI of my Neck - Can anyone interpret?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 05:23:59 AM »
Elaine,

I am unable to interpret your findings, but as I mentioned recently, I am dealing with much the same situation as you.
My findings also have multilevel disc degeneration/issues (did not do cervical mri, only thoracic/lumbar). I am also seeing the neurosurgeon on April 3rd.

I will be very curious to hear what your surgeon says. I asked my Rheumy about this...(degenerative discs) and whether it is related to Sjogren's. It just seems that it could be. I have noticed
a number of folks here also have back/neck issues.

Good Luck.
SjoDry
Sjodry
http://sjodry.wordpress.com/

Female 55 y/o; SJS Primary; CVID; Autonomic Neuropathy: Chronic Digestive/G.I. issues; Leukopenia;Tachycardia; Bronchiectasis; High Blood Pres; R.A.;Chronic Pain; Sub~Q IVIG infusions~Hizentra; Plaquenil; Restasis; Gapapentin; Breathing/nebulizer meds; Pain meds;

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 10:59:45 AM »
It falls to your physician to interpret these results, but in broad terms, he may refer to the narrowing as "stenosis" and with the focus in the mid cervical area he may make reference to the Luschka joints, which are prone to spur (osteophyte) development.  Both of these issues can cause radiculopathy, or problems with the nerve roots as they exit the spinal column, resulting in neuropathic pain or loss of function.

Prior to your appointment, it may be helpful to make a list of any symptoms affecting your arms and upper body, to give him a more complete picture.

Your doctor will have an overview of the pathology and your symptoms, and be able to tell you how they relate to each other.

My history includes a diagnosis of Luschka joint disease with severe osteophyte formation and moderate to severe narrowing of the spinal foramen from C3 -6, which resulted in radiculopathy, pain, and temporary loss of function of my right arm, treated over 4 months with physio and traction and a nearly complete return of function, if not strength, and reduction in pain.

With the onset of Polymyalgia rheumatica a few years ago, I was concerned that the radiculopathy was flaring,since the symptoms were very similar, but without any decrease of function, just pain.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 09:35:28 PM »
I have no real knowledge of this at all in spite of having had a spinal fusion. All I know is the word "narrowing" is important at times. It is something that happens as we age. Yes, the dreaded word again. You will have to give us the scoop after your appointment. Good luck. Irish

Carolina

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 05:50:54 AM »
Dear Irish, Linda and SjoDry,

THE EXAMINATION:  The surgeon was very thorough in his examination, and very patient.  I did well on the test of physical strength and range of motion.

TREATMENT and TESTS: I will have a steroid injection at C5 on Monday. The doctor also ordered a MRI of my lower back (lumbar spine).

SURGERY OPTION:The surgeon clearly doesn't think that surgery is indicated based on the MRI and my symptoms, unless I don't have pain relief from the injection.  He would perform a cervical fusion, if I asked for surgery.

PAIN MANAGEMENT: I know the medical community wants to teach patients to live with pain, and I've done  that for years, out of necessity and through course work on pain management.  Now I am exhausted using these techniques, and am depressed by the pain.

AND LIFE GOES ON:   We have a chance to move in March  to the Retirement Community we like.  We're also going to France for two weeks in June.   

If we move, husband will have to manage the move and house salel.   We've moved many times, and I've always been the prime person to make the move happen.  I'm so sad and even angry that I cannot help. So I'm just dumping this all on my wonderful Sjogren's Angels (if you get this far in my saga).

I need acceptance and some level of serenity, for sure.

Regards, Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

SjoDry

• "When you are battling with a gorilla, you don't g
    • Sjodry and Parched
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 07:00:12 AM »
Elaine,

It sounds like the appointment went well. I hope the injection works for you.

With regard to your pain..I have lived with horrible pain for years and was also on opiates for years. A couple of years ago I took myself off of the opiates because I wanted to try low dose Naltrexone and opioids were contra-indicated. The LDN helped my fatigue more than my pain.

Since I got off of the opioids a couple of years ago, I have experimented with several varieties/strains of both CBD oil and Kratom for pain relief. Unfortunately, I am one that has not gotten a lot of relief from CBD oil or Kratom.

I avoided it for a very long time, but finally just went on Medical Marijuana a couple of weeks ago. Finally, I am getting some pain relief and wonderful sleep. I have my 84 y/o mom on it also (she has chronic pain, arthritis & Alzheimer's). It was all very professional. We are working with a pharmacist to get our doses perfected. I take a capsule in the a.m. & one in the evening...with a little spray once or twice during the day. I don't know if they have mm approved in your state yet or not, but I would urge you to consider it. My mom was a bit scared at first and has now turned into a raging fan.

Take Care.
SjoDry
Sjodry
http://sjodry.wordpress.com/

Female 55 y/o; SJS Primary; CVID; Autonomic Neuropathy: Chronic Digestive/G.I. issues; Leukopenia;Tachycardia; Bronchiectasis; High Blood Pres; R.A.;Chronic Pain; Sub~Q IVIG infusions~Hizentra; Plaquenil; Restasis; Gapapentin; Breathing/nebulizer meds; Pain meds;

SjoGirl

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 09:02:36 AM »
Oh Carolina I hope that the shot helps.

I am not at all positioned to interpret results mine are mine and yours are yours (and have I have degenerative disc disease and issues in my spine from top to bottom). I know that some people find relief from surgery some do not. My one suggestion is to ask what is the percentage likelihood that the surgery would help and what percent relief would I find in pain 50%, 75%, 100%? I find those to be more helpful questions when faced with such decisions.

Praying for you.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

Carolina

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 11:23:28 AM »
Dear SjoGirl:  These are the results of a 10 year study

Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion Outcomes over 10 Years: A Prospective Study.

STUDY DESIGN:
Prospective cohort study with >10-year follow-up.

For all diagnostic groups, significant outcomes improvement was seen at all follow-up periods for all scales relative to preoperative scores. Outcomes were not related to age, gender, number of levels treated, and minimally to preexisting degeneration at the adjacent level. The use of narcotic pain medication decreased substantially. Neurological deficits almost all resolved. Patient self-reported success ranged from 85% to 95%.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28604488

Regards, Elaine

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 05:14:46 PM »
I will tell you Caroline that I have a lot of pain and neuropathy that most likely is something that is leftover from my compressed disk. I had really hard to differentiate pain due to carpal tunnel and when I had surgery the doc told me that the surgery relieved the pressure on the disc ...which was replaced with a cadaver disc and a titanium plate and screws. He said that the surgery was not to "cure me" of all the pain as the doctors can't promise what pain will go way. He said the surgery was to relieve the compression and keep me from getting worse which also included getting paralyzed or dying.

I asked if I would have pain afterwards and he said it is hard to tell. Nerve damage is a very hard thing to identify and also blame on certain physical damage. We know the general area of the damage but the nerves are so individual in the things they do and it is hard to trace cause we can't see everything that is damaged. I have a lot of pain in hands and arms that is disruptive and wears me out at times. I am thankful that the pain is better at times but never goes away. I don't have the terrible electric spasms throughout my neck and back anymore and I can live pretty much felling safer with my fusion. However, I have fallen 2xs in the past few months and sort of whiplashed my neck which is really worrisome for a while. I worry about my bones that are a little osteoporotic crumbling and damaging the metal plate. The good thing is the doc told me I could be dropped on my head and the plate would be fine structure wise., The plates don't break it is the bone around it that can get damaged.

It certainly is a quandary when we have issues at our age (that word again) as we don't have an easy time deciding what to do. Good luck with this issue. Also, hope that you have a good time on your trip and that the decision about moving doesn't weigh heavily on you during this time. Hugs, Irish