Author Topic: Crampy lower abdominal pain in afternoon  (Read 921 times)

araminta

Crampy lower abdominal pain in afternoon
« on: February 04, 2019, 08:46:03 AM »
Of course I have no idea if this has anything to do with Sjogrens.

This has been an intermittent problem for a year or so, sometimes it goes away completely for a couple of months.

It usually begins between 5 - 7 pm. and can last from half an hour to two or three hours.   It can get quite strong so that I have to sit down.   It is in the lower and middle abdomen and is accompanied by bloating.   No other symptoms.

I can't figure out what triggers it, and nothing much seems to help except curling up into a ball - and even that doesn't always work!

Does anyone have any ideas?   By the way I've been vegan for several years.
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

janny

Re: Crampy lower abdominal pain in afternoon
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 09:30:47 AM »
Well, obviously if it keeps up, you may want to mention it to your doctor. But, just going to throw in my two cents since I've had the same problem on and off for the past few years. I did go and get it checked by my ob-gyn (they gave me a vaginal ultrasound) and then went to a gastro doctor, who gave me some medication that did not help at all and a barium enema. Nobody could find a cause, so I did some research. The first thing I would think about (and for some reason, not one doctor even brought this up to me!) is: have you had regular BM's (could it be constipation?) (do you eat enough fiber?)--maybe keep a food diary to see when it comes on. Secondly, I found a wonderful pre-biotic that I used to have to order from my pharmacist, but is now available over the counter. It now comes under many brand names (the original was Flora****)--it is saccharomyces boulardii lyo). That stuff was a godsend to me. It is wonderful for digestion and especially, for me, the bloating. I'm sure others will have many other suggestions, too. If it only happens very occasionally, I would try some pre and probiotics first (and maybe some psyllium fiber).

Sweetcheex76

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 12:17:19 PM »
Sounds like it could be a gallbladder issue. Please mention it to your doctor.
Sjogren's, Trigeminal Neuralgia, Reynaud's, Fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, ocular rosacea, rosacea, endometriosis, ADHD, anxiety, depression, pre-diabetes.

Plaquenil, Cevimeline, Restasis, Metformin,  Vyvanse, Xiidra, prescription ibuprofen, Vitamin D

araminta

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 01:53:03 PM »
Thank you both for your replies.   Janny, I suspect it is probably some digestive issue, which I think is not unusual with Sjogrens.   However no, I don't have particular problems with BM's.   Sweetcheex, I think gallbladder pain is higher up than this pain.

I've been googling various possibilities and am wondering if it's related to chewing gum?   I do chew sugarfree gum a lot because of dry mouth, and I've read that it can cause problems on account of the air you swallow with it, plus the artificial sweeteners which are not easily coped with by the body.
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 06:50:35 PM »
I'm going to mention digestive issues that are connected to the pancreatic enzymes. I have had issues for a long time. Some bloating, not a lot of gas, foul smelling stools that look greasy. My GI doc did blood work and did still spec for fast. This is a malabsorption problem that is related to Sjogrens. I did not test positive on my testing but I had a blood test that was borderline. My doc put me on a medication that contains different enzymes and helps with digestion. I did not purchase the one she ordered as it was 1 dollar a pill and sometimes have to take 5-6 a day.

I found a probiotic digestive enzyme at Walmart that I told my dc about and she approved it for me. It is so much cheaper and does help. This problems is due to the decrease in enzymes secreted by the pancreas. Remember that Sjogrens affects the secreting glands and this includes the pancreas, liver and any other gland that secretes. Most doctors don't even think of this. Most doctors can't wrap their heads around the all encompassing issues with Sjogrens.

Let us know how you do. Remember that some foods may not bother at all and other foods a lot----pizza is tough with all the fat and the spicy is upsetting also. Nausea can occur also. Irish

Livia

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 08:14:09 PM »
Does it feel better if u let out gas?? I remember my brother used to get this when he was younger. And turned out to be a gas issue

araminta

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 04:26:38 AM »
Thank you for your comments. 

Well no, Livia, that doesn't seem to be quite the problem, and I don't have those other symptoms you describe, Irish.   However probiotics sound like maybe they're a good idea.   I had thought they would just get destroyed by stomach acid before they got anywhere useful?  But perhaps I should give them a go.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 02:44:30 PM »
You don't complain of the symptoms after breakfast but seem to have them after lunch. Have you researched what kind of a diet you eat at noon and if that could be the problem. Pay attention to high fat, high carbs and lois protein/fat, etc. Diet pop, certain type of coffee,, etc or sandwich. With out diet these days we can have GI upset just from a certain fast food hamburger. Good luck. irish