Author Topic: "Passing" as normal?  (Read 988 times)

Linda196

• Administrator
"Passing" as normal?
« on: January 28, 2019, 04:09:57 AM »
I came to a rather strange realization this morning, as I replied to a post about medication and later as I dosed out my morning meds.

In my old professional capacity, if I saw a med list like mine on a newly admitted patient, I'd immediately alert to various potential health crises, and start formulating a care plan based on possible debilitation, instability and various organ malfunctions. If I anonymously saw my lab results, again in my old capacity, I'd be on the phone to a hematologist and nephrologist, right after I called the lab for verification.

When I had occasion to give my medical history to a new health care professional ; doctor, physio, pharmacist, etc, it leads to many questions and discussions and usually the comment " I had no idea looking at you that you were that sick!"

Now, I don't feel "that sick". I have a lot of things I have to work around, and a lot of things that can make life in general inconvenient; I've made a lot of concessions and major changes in my lifestyle (which always seemed to change drastically every few years anyway, with marriage, babies, jobs, moving, etc), but I'm still living, and for the most part enjoying, my life.

How about that, I'm "passing" as NORMAL ! LOL

OK, musings over, just thought you might enjoy a bit of a chuckle.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

markt

Re: "Passing" as normal?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 06:01:33 AM »
I know what you mean...

I am still here and I am still me, now that the dust has settled.

I have hope (it's a promising time for combatting AI), great doctors, and more importantly two beautiful girls (1 and 3).

I pray every morning and give thanks for the Lord giving me what I need to love them, work my job, and get by.

Granted, I do take my meds and struggle at times (sort of like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hide... that's AI in a nutshell).  Or, like Doc Holliday in the old Wyatt Earp movie lol.   

But yea, I too can pass for normal more often that not.  What a long ways I have come from when I thought I was going to pass, and Drs. could not figure out what was wrong with me.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 02:30:14 AM »
I no longer pass for normal. (One leg shorter and a bad hip). Most of the timeI get comments on how young or how good I look. (This is not my opinion). I have felt like I was an 80 year old since I was in my early 30's. I have had complaints that my grand parents and parents had in old age.

For many years to pass as normal I had to spend more hours, getting ready and recovering for over exertion. I think that all of us do our best to "keep up" with others.

Do your best not burden your family. Enjoy your life as much as you can. Live your life to your fullest. This takes courage. Learn how to manage your illness and not get lost in it.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 11:03:42 AM »
Wasn't it Erma Bombeck that said, "normal is only the setting on a dryer"??   ;)

In my opinion, if we keep plugging along, no matter what aches and pains we have and keep moving, that others have no idea what medical conditions we are dealing with. 

There are days where I don't want to get out of bed because my hip and back hurt, my cotton mouth is soooo dry, my eyes are dry . . yada, yada, yada.  But, I get up, get dressed and keep moving.  I've found out medical issues I've had for decades that I had no idea I had when medical procedures were done in recent years.  Well . . . that explains a lot of the aches and pains I've dealt with for decades!  Joe - I found out ten years ago that I have one leg shorter than another - only found out when I went to a workers comp doctor for another issue . . . who knew?  I certainly didn't!

If the truth be known, I'm sure everyone we meet has some kind of medical issue that perhaps isn't obvious just by looking at the person.

Linda - in the 10 yrs I've known you, you amaze me with all the things you do.  If I didn't know your "history", I wouldn't have any idea that anything was "wrong" with you.  Again, I think you are a person who doesn't wallow in self pity, but keeps moving in spite of your medical history and aches and pains.  Good for you!!

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 04:39:47 PM »
My gosh, Linda, that thought you passed on is something that came home to roost for me in the last month.

The night before I got so sick with gram negative sepsis I sat down and wrote out a list of all my medications, dose and times, my allergies and my doctors and their phone numbers. This was 2 pages full. The reason I did this is because I had an appointment with my new drug store pharmacy in the morning to go through my "mess" of pills. Well, little did I know how handy that sheet of paper would be. Even with my O2 sat of 80 I managed to tell the ambulance people to take this sheet and make 2 copies and give one to ER and the other 2 to my son.

Man, did that sheet of paper saved the day for everyone. The mess of pills we take just boggles their minds and you can see the wheels in their head spinning. As sick as I was I told them" don't panic, it isn't as bad as it looks." When the ER doctor can to see me with my sheet of info waving in the breeze she said to me "when I first saw this sheet I thought what did I get myself into. Now that I see you I feel better cause you don't look as bad in person as you do on paper."

With that being said, I spend the whole 5 days trying to explain to people what Sjogrens, Myasthenia gravis, Hashimotos, Bullous pemphigoid and
autoimmune ear disease is are. Sometimes we skip some of the creams and ointments, etc and just go for some more "living" and enjoying our families. You, Linda, have done so well over the years with the health issues you were handed and you have given us all really good information in answer to our questions. I think we are all very lucky in spite of our lot in life. We are educated about our health issues and we sure as heck know how to advocate for all the other members of our family. (Sometimes they think we are bossy, image that.)  ;D Irish
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 04:59:08 PM by irish »