Author Topic: Very strange bladder infection  (Read 964 times)

Nomad

Very strange bladder infection
« on: January 26, 2019, 03:59:50 AM »
I've been in my new city for 18  months now...so not entirely new anymore. But, the doctors just seem to do things a little differently here and I've been uncomfortable with that. Plus, I've had some odd symptoms.

I recall six months ago I had symptoms of a bladder infection and went to emergi care. They gave me Macrobid and then called me and almost urgently told me to follow up with a doctor. I recall that it seemed my test result didn't truly indicate a bladder infection. There was mention of "Squamous Epithelial Cells," but my GP doctor said it was meaningless.   I felt better, and dropped it.

Six months later...very recently...my GP ordered blood work and a Urine Analysis...check up time.  I have NO symptoms of a bladder infection at this time. It says on the report "Trace Eseterase"  Squamouse Epithelial cells  0-2 and Bacteria 0-5. I don't understand these numbers. They don't seem like much. Then it says something about "K pneumoniae" Result: greater than 100,000 cru /ml of K pneumoniae

She said I have a bladder infection...but it is no big deal, especially at my age. ???  (I'm over 50).  She says it shows Macrobid would not work, but Bactrim would. BUT, she told me not to take Bactrim unless I have symptoms. She gives me the script for Bactrim, but tells me not to take it unless I have clear cut symptoms of a bladder infection.  In the mean time, I have had itchiness in the general area.

What is going on? Should I see a gyno or urologist?  Anyone know about this stuff? I'm a little frightened. I was on Prednisone for about two years (somewhat recently) and I do believe it may have caused me to be somewhat immuno-compromised. I've been off it for a good 9 months now.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 04:29:27 AM by Nomad »
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Re: Very strange bladder infection
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 08:17:31 AM »
Many of us with Immune Disorders also have Interstitial Cystitis. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3126088/

https://www.urologyhealth.org/urologic-conditions/interstitial-cystitis

Just a thought.

Also, D-Mannose is as effective as Macrobid for UTI's.

Quote:  In our study, D-mannose powder had significantly reduced the risk of recurrent UTI which was no different than in Nitrofurantoin group.

Nitrofurantoin includes Macrobid.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23633128

I have Interstitial Cystitis.

Regards, Elaine

Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Omeprazole-

Deb 27

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 05:10:49 PM »
  A count of 100,000 is a pretty high count. If it had been 10,000 and mixed bacteria, it could have just been skin contamination into the urine sample.  Whenever I had a count like that, they said I had a UTI and to take the meds. I don't know why your docs advised you like that. You could try to see a urologist. That's who my Gyn said to contact when I kept having UTI's. Turns out I was low in estrogen. Good luck to you, I hope you get some answers quickly. I was thinking you could always call the Drs. office back and ask the nurse for clarification.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 01:02:39 AM »
I just went through a bladder infection that spread to my blood and was in hospital 5 days very ill.

I have had one post hospital urine test and I had greater than 100,000 bacteria and was put on antibiotic again. The thing I am concerned with is that the k. pneumoniae (your test) shows up because that may be an infection that needs to be treated.....especially when one has autoimmune diseases. Also the squamous could use some investigation.

Now, just to let you know, latest treatment for urine infection, or urine specimens with cultured colonies of bacteria, is no antibiotics are ordered unless the bacteria are over 100,000 colonies. If it was me I would see urologist if possible or a doctor that you trust and ask for a follow up on these issues. When we have autoimmune issues our bladder can be affected and we need to keep track of our issues.

I say this with tongue in cheek as I sort of dropped the ball on my bladder issues because I had so many other health problems. I am now trying to get things under control and it is taking more doctors appointments. Hope this makes sense to you.

Sorry I didn't make things very clear last night. When we have autoimmune diseases it seems that a lot of people seem to be higher risk for infection. It is possible that they may even need to be treated with antibiotics when the culture is below 100,000 growth. A doctor who understands our health issues should be willing to keep these cultures done when needed and treat them more aggressively. It may be that  urologist will be the answer. Also, if you haves access to an immunologist it might be wise to make an appointment for assessment of your immune system. This assessment is really something that most of people with autoimmune should do routinely. The autoimmune, immune and allergic responses are all closely related. Irish

Klebsiella Pneu is a bacteria that is normally found in our colon as a normal bacteria. However, it has become "nosocomial" or one of those infections that are found in hospitals and nursing homes and other care centers. It is something that has been around for years in patients with catheters and became harder to treat with certain antibiotics. I am sure many people have this infection without symptoms, but having autoimmune disease can set us up for infections more often than others. Good luck. Irish
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 03:49:21 PM by irish »

Carolina

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 06:16:25 AM »
Yes, Irish!

As I've said before, I had a kidney infection in 2005 that spread e-coli to my blood.  I was very close to 'the final exit'.  I was 63 and had never had a UTI (diagnosed anyway).

And one year later in 2006 began chronic UTI's which terrified me!  I was so scared I would wind up with a kidney infection again...with possible sepsis.

My doctors didn't understand why I was so scared (I had moved to El Paso and left behind the doctors I had before).   I consulted a Gynecologist (wonderful doctor) who treated me with Macrobid which I took every day for 3 months...and two weeks after I stopped I had another UTI.

In 2007 I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis.  I continued to have UTI's about every two months, until I heard about D-Mannose here on this forum, started it in 2012 and have not had a UTI since.

I also had the diagnosis with a Primary Immune Deficiency Disorder and started IVIG in 2013 which may also be why I have not had a UTI in 6 years.

All I know is that UTI's terrify me.   

And  your story, Irish, adds to my fear.   The problem we have now is that we are older and have so many things going wrong, that it is often hard to pick up on another thing going wrong until very late in the game.

I had Profound Peripheral Neuropathy before I even knew what was going on.  All the leg pain, all the tingling and numbness just fell into the category "I feel terrible and I'm so out of shape".

I hear people with beginning PN talk about the misery of their feet, the tingling and stabbing pains, and I realize that I just suppressed all that!

I guess we just don't want to be 'cry babies' and yet our life depends on constant awareness of our bodies and changes.

Regards,  Elaine
Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Omeprazole-

jazzlover

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 05:39:52 PM »
Yes, keep on top of it, but don't take antibiotics "needlessly" or more problems will develop.

I second the motion on D-Mannose. I was diagnosed with IC in 1992 and it ended my teaching career, to say the least. I discovered D-mannose 10 years ago and it has saved me from countless UTI's and kidney infections. I say this because I was getting UTI's nearly avery 4-6 weeks prior to beginning the D-Mannose. I have not had one infection (and not one kidney infection) in the past 10 years.

I am so grateful!!
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

Carolina

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 08:32:20 AM »
I tell EVERY doctor I see about D-Mannose. 

No one knows, and it is magic.

AS GOOD as the antibiotics prescribed for UTIs but NOT an antibiotic.  Amazing but true.

But of course it can't be prescribed, isn't part of Big Pharma and has no big promotions behind it.

Sigh

Elaine