Author Topic: Ashy skin from neuropathy??  (Read 1081 times)

Livia

Ashy skin from neuropathy??
« on: January 21, 2019, 09:37:05 PM »
Hey y'all

It hasn't been a week yet & already I need to roll out a new topic..This has been on my mind for a while now & was overlooked..Now the tops of both my feet look ashy..The secret word here is "look". That's right they only look ashy but they're really not. I mean when I try scrubbing with a loofah or my hands, no ashes come off or anything. I've given them a good scrub several times then I realised they're not ashy.Also they sure don't feel ashy either. Now I remember reading something way back saying neuropathy can cause this. I do have neuropathy.

Is this familiar to any of y'all??..If yes, then should I be worried??

Thanks

Linda196

• Administrator
Re: Ashy skin from neuropathy??
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 02:27:38 AM »
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "ashy". Are you referring to colouration; a greyish shadowing of the skin; texture; flakey skin that looks like it should peel: or a combination of the two; a grey-white powdery looking surface?
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 06:26:20 AM »
Hi, I have neuropathy of my feet and legs.  Profound neuropathy which I've had for at least 10 years.

What I notice is that my skin on my feet is a bit 'shiny looking', and also very dry,  The skin on my legs just gets very dry.  I can tell my skin is dry because it looks 'paler' than usual. 

The dry skin can actually be 'rubbed off' and shows up a bit dark on a white cloth, like dirt, but of course it isn't really dirt.

When I think of it, I put on Nivea Essentially Enriched Body Lotion, which is very creamy and helps.

I try to remember to put it on when my skin is moist after a shower.

I do know that African American skin often looks 'ashy' when it is dry because the dry skin looks paler on top.

If you give dry skin a 'good scrub' that would remove the top layer of dead cells that look ashy.

Well, that's my idea, any way.

Regards, Elaine
Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Omeprazole-

Livia

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 04:12:41 PM »
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "ashy". Are you referring to colouration; a greyish shadowing of the skin; texture; flakey skin that looks like it should peel: or a combination of the two; a grey-white powdery looking surface?

hi. thanks 4 posting..yes thats exactly what im talking about. its only a discolouration that looks whitish in colour. my skin isnt really ashy at all. it just looks like it..ive no idea if this is from neuropathy or something else

Livia

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 04:16:55 PM »
Hi, I have neuropathy of my feet and legs.  Profound neuropathy which I've had for at least 10 years.

What I notice is that my skin on my feet is a bit 'shiny looking', and also very dry,  The skin on my legs just gets very dry.  I can tell my skin is dry because it looks 'paler' than usual. 

The dry skin can actually be 'rubbed off' and shows up a bit dark on a white cloth, like dirt, but of course it isn't really dirt.

Regards, Elaine

hi carolina..thanks for ur input..yeah my feet & legs sure look shiny as well..i know this is definitely from the PN...& ive tried scrubing the skin that looks ashy many many times...thats how i concluded it probably isnt ashy at all..just a different colour from my normal skin

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 09:59:50 PM »
Are you saying that your feet look gray? Are your nail beds of toenails bluish at all. Neuropathy can cause all sorts of things but one has to remember that if circulation is less than desirable there can be more problems that will arise. Do you have diabetes? Just adding a little bit to think about. Good luck. Irish

Livia

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 11:04:05 AM »
Are you saying that your feet look gray? Are your nail beds of toenails bluish at all. Neuropathy can cause all sorts of things but one has to remember that if circulation is less than desirable there can be more problems that will arise. Do you have diabetes? Just adding a little bit to think about. Good luck. Irish

Hey irish, yes thats exactly what I'm saying..the tops of my feet look grayish in colour...I do have raynauds in my toes...one of my toenails was blue for a long time & kept coming out & a new one would grow it out..this happened like 3 times in past several months...no i dont have diabetes but it runs in my family like crazy! :)

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 08:43:30 PM »
Have you had blood work to check for diabetes? I don't know what kind of a doctor you go to but it may be that you will need a doctor who will take your feet issues more seriously. You may be having issues other than diabetes or Reynauds. There are other circulatory issues that occur in the legs. There are some meds that can help. I would ask for assessment of these issues and if your doctor isn't cooperative I would make an effort to find a doctor in the area who will see you.

If you live close to a teaching hospital you would do well to call them and ask if they have a doctor who sees people with circulatory issues in feet and legs. There are some doctors who do this. Good luck. Also, some hospitals and clinics may have  a clinic several times a week fork people with circulatory issues in limbs. These are usually very worth while. You would need to tell the receptionist that you need assessment of your circulatory issues in legs and feet. Just some suggestions. Good luck. Irish
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 08:47:32 PM by irish »