Author Topic: Talking about the weather in 2019  (Read 6068 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Re: Talking about the weather in 2019
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2019, 04:34:28 PM »
Irish - I can totally understand your comment, "Times like these do not make me pine for the expensive items on line but cause me to yearn for the simple life of years gone by."  The older I get, the more I understand the comments made by my grandparents and parents of how much things have changed since they were young.  I've seen for myself a lot of change in my lifetime.

Carebear - um, I hate to tell you that a mud facial isn't done with loose dirt blowing in the wind!  LOL

The last few days the storms have been relentless throughout the U.S. There were almost 60 tornadoes between Monday and Tuesday, more have happened today and are expected tonight.  Here in Central Illinois, we're under a tornado watch until 11 p.m. tonight. 

By Tuesday morning Denver, Colorado had 3.4" snow and a little Southeast of there in Black Forest they had 20" of snow, and another town Peyton had 18" of snow.  :o

Swift moving floodwaters was common in Oklahoma & Kansas. There have been many water rescues from people driving across a flooded road.  Sadly, one person died when they made a poor choice of going around a road barrier - a senseless loss of life for ignoring the barrier.  As I've said before, the barriers are there for a reason.

It was sad to see the homes in Oklahoma swept away in the flooding rivers.

This weekend triple-digit heat will challenge long-standing records in Southeastern U.S. starting on Friday.  On the flip side, it will be unseasonably cool for the far Western U.S. from California to Arizona over the weekend.

Wherever you are, stay safe.  What's the weather like where you live?

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2019, 04:19:30 PM »
Hoping that everyone is safe. Sounds like the weather's been brutal over there.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2019, 10:40:33 AM »
Wow, what a roller-coaster spring we've had here in the U.S.

In recent weeks there has been so much wide spread rain, floods, hail, thunderstorms and tornadoes.  Within the last few days there have been hundreds of tornadoes here. 

If you have never seen the aftermath of a tornado in person, it is humbling, numbing, shocking, and life changing.  On November 13, 2013 an EF-4 tornado hit the next town over from where I live (less than four miles).  The tornado killed three people and damaged over 1,000 homes.  There was devastation as far as you could see driving down the road - I've never seen anything like it.  It is amazing that more people don't lose their lives from tornadoes when you look at the bits and pieces of homes that are left standing, or the empty slab where a house once stood.

That town has since rebuilt - although, driving around there, it looks so different. I drove those streets all the time prior to the tornado, now I get lost.  I don't recognize any of the old landmarks that used to be there.

I can't imagine the stress, frustration, worry, and money it involves when dealing with the aftermath of Mother Nature's fury.  It has got to be overwhelming.  My heart goes out to all who are currently in the middle of dealing with a situation like this.

If you have been affected by bad weather this spring, please share your first-hand experience. 

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2019, 09:00:22 PM »
I just read some info online about the flooding along the Mississippi river since the start of the year. Some of the places have had 24-48 inches of rain. It is just astounding how much area has been flooded. Oklahoma's farmers are pretty well wiped out for a few years I think. Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, South Dakota, Nebraska, Arkansas, Louisiana and I am sure I missed any more states.

We think of the suffering, etc but I got to thinking about all the wood and sheet rock that is going to be needed and there will be a great shortage and raise in prices.Also the insurance companies are going to be overwhelmed with claims. Life is tough! Thoughts and prayers with so many people. Irish

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2019, 07:27:52 PM »
We think of the suffering, etc but I got to thinking about all the wood and sheet rock that is going to be needed and there will be a great shortage and raise in prices.Also the insurance companies are going to be overwhelmed with claims. Life is tough! Thoughts and prayers with so many people. Irish

Irish, I've thought of that too.  I know when my husband was building our house here in IL there was a hurricane in FL and the cost of building materials rose quite a bit.  It seems to be a ripple effect - not only in the directly affected areas, but other areas across the U.S. too.

The last several weeks have been more of the same weather throughout the U.S.A. - rain, floods, strong winds, tornadoes, wildfires and just today, an earthquake in N.E. Ohio!  I've felt two minor earthquakes in my lifetime, one in Ohio (in the mid 80's), and once here in IL.  Actually, here in IL there is a major fault - (New Madrid) so there is always the possibility that we could have a major earthquake here. The New Madrid Seismic Zone is a 150-miles long fault zone spanning through N.E. Arkansas, SE Missouri, W. Tennessee, W. Kentucky and Southern Illinois.

On the far West coast (CA & AZ) there are experiencing the wildfires and triple digit temperatures.  It's always sad to learn that some of the wildfires are human caused and can scorch hundreds, if not thousands of acres of land.

I hope wherever you live that you are safe from the weather.  We'd love to hear about the weather where you live.

Bucky

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2019, 08:04:24 PM »
Hello - this thread kind of petered out back in June.  I felt like a broken record saying the same thing over and over . . . rain, flooding, fires, heat, etc.  Fast forward to September 2019 and we are still dealing with all the same things.  I guess that's what the weather does!

The current weather situation is Hurricane Dorian that left devastation in the Bahamas has now reached the Eastern coastline of the U.S.  Tonight on the evening news it showed the damage from the hurricane and the tornadoes that it spawned in some areas.

In California they are dealing with wildfires that are getting very close to neighborhoods.

It seems like one can feel so helpless when the weather channel warns us of impending bad weather and you prepare as best you can and just have to sit and wait it out.  There is absolutely nothing you can do to avoid it.  My heart breaks for those people who lost their homes, their businesses, and those who lost loved ones from the recent weather.

If any of our members have been affected by Hurricane Dorian - please check in when you can and let us know how you are.

Bucky

Carebear

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2019, 09:20:14 PM »
We are all quite bothered here by our lack of summer.  So much rain and wind and very cold weather.  In August we had a few nights where we had frost warnings.  That's terrible even for us!

Now of course everyone is "predicting " an early winter with lots of cold and lots of snow.  Personally I'm  predicting a late start to winter, say the week before Christmas.   Very little snow.  And an early spring.  I hope I am right!
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2019, 04:22:08 AM »
As some of you are aware, I live on the East Coast of Canada, and I've been touched by the concern from people PMing me to ask how we fared with Hurricane Dorian.

By the time Dorian hit our coast it had upgraded again to Cat 2, and it was quite destructive in the two major port cities, Halifax and Saint John. I live about 30 miles inland and we had heavy rain and high winds, but little problems from it. We are always prepared for the worst, but didn't even lose power here, even though areas less than 10 miles away had interruptions. Of course, being coastal, there was a lot of flooding, and when you live beside the Bay of Fundy, with the highest tides in the world, the flooding can be intense at high tide, but resolves fairly quickly when the tide drops. There's a video from Halifax that will no doubt go viral, of a giant crane collapsing and hitting an apartment building on it's way down.

So many people are reeling from it's effects from the Bahamas all the way up the coast, and it's still pounding Cape Breton and Newfoundland. I don't think I've ever seen such a "wishy-washy" storm! It got hung up over the Bahamas for far too long and then kind of raced over us (no complaints), it peaked at Cat 5 , dropped almost to Tropical Storm status then pumped up to Cat 2 again, and kept changing course, unpredictably and seeming at random! I guess that's what happens when you give a storm a guys name (JK)

And guess what, we are right in the path of Gabrielle!
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Carebear

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2019, 07:02:18 AM »
Linda, I am watching the coverage of Dorian on CBC right now.  I am very happy to hear you survived the storm,  more or less.  I too was thinking about you and your family, hoping for the best outcome possible. Thanks for letting us know.

Makes our loisy weather feel pretty good right about now.
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2019, 11:32:58 AM »
I just saw the crane on news a little while ago. So much wind and water!!!! Irish

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2019, 03:34:28 AM »
I heard a bit of good news regarding the crane; the building it hit was under construction, therefore not occupied. Of the many surrounding buildings with many tenants, it was the only one that could have been hit without injury or loss of life, in a densely populated downtown area. There are still a few people without power but our amazing line crews have been working around the clock with remarkable results, and there have been no fatalities in our areas.

Apparently this monster is predicted to continue across the North Atlantic as a post-Tropical storm (a hurricane or tropical storm at lower temperatures that rule out the "tropical" designation) and pass south of Greenland with some of the characteristics of a blizzard!

It may not know where it's going, but it's persistent about getting there!
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2019, 01:43:35 AM »
Well it is the 22nd of Sept and in south central MN we just had about 3 days in a row of around 80 degrees with high dew points. It was kind of miserable with the humidity cause there is not usually as much humidity this time of year. But, hey, the weather does what it wants to a lot more than it used to, doesn't it.

We had a couple cloudier days but the report on the weather channel is for much of the US from kansas, etc and east and down to the southern border of US....plus lower half of MN and East is to be warmer than usual with temperatures 10-20 degrees warmer than usual. They mentioned 90 degrees frequently. Time will tell. Just hope the rain stops

The trees have started turning a lot earlier than usual around here also. We have had some really colorful trees and the sumac is really thickly grown and looks like it will be colorful also. How is it in your neck of the woods? Irish

Carebear

« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2019, 11:06:11 AM »
Today is a miserable day, weather wise. It is -19 degrees Celsius with the wind factored in,  and a bit of snow to add salt to the wound. It's the dreariness that really gets to me.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2019, 06:54:03 AM »
Good morning . . . what a crazy fall we've had here in IL.  The temperatures have been all over the map from lows in the 20's to highs in the 70's.  Of course throw in wind, rain, and snow into the mix too.  Tonight into tomorrow we're suppose to have the high winds they keep talking about on the news - yippy . . NOT!!   

I feel bad for those who have travel plans this Thanksgiving week as the roadways, airports, and train stations are going to be packed with travelers dealing with all kinds of difficult weather and delays in travel.  The ripple effect happens all throughout the U.S.

Other countries are dealing with bad weather too with severe flooding, extreme temperatures, etc.

I've put up our driveway markers for the winter months so we can FIND the driveway once that nasty white stuff shows up (which we've already had some).  I've heard so many conflicting reports on what kind of winter we're suppose to be having this year.  The nests in the trees aren't way, way up in the trees this year (at least not that I've seen so far) which is a good thing.  I've heard the higher the animals make their nests, the more nasty the winter will be.

To those of you traveling this week - leave plenty of time to get to your destination (I've heard reports that it could take at least double, if not triple the amount of time to get where you're going).  Be prepared for delays and make sure your vehicle (if your driving) is in tip top traveling condition.  Pack some extra patience too.   ;)

Safe travels everyone.

Bucky

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2019, 07:24:17 PM »
Yes, I can agree with you on the weather Bucky. One day cold the next colder, cloudy, rainy ad quite a bit of wind. This does not bode well for the winter to my thinking.

Today it is Nov 26th and we had a snow last nite with 6-8-inches snow and some slippery roads. The good thing is the wind was not bad. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and I am at my sons as had my infusion yesterday. I plan to go home on Friday and the paper says bad weather with up to a foot of snow end of the week and up to 45 mph winds. I hope it waits.

I always sort of felt driving on bad roads was a challenge and easier done when it isn't snowing hard or windy. Hopefully is will be nice though. MY grand daughter has to drive back to college on the weekend so she needs good roads also. Lots of people traveling in this white stuff so hope all goes well.

This weather system is showing signs of being hard on the west coast  and even snowed earlier in the Grand Canyon. Hope you all have a Good Thanksgiving and stay warm and dry. Irish