Author Topic: Talking about the weather in 2019  (Read 3073 times)

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Re: Talking about the weather in 2019
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2019, 04:38:26 PM »
Hi  :)

Crazy weather in the UK right now. It's like summer. warm and sunny - yet this time last year we were being blasted by the 'beast from the east' (arctic cold and high winds) I noticed blossom out on trees today that don't usually flower till April. Quite possible that the frosts will be back.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2019, 05:49:03 PM »
Doesn't it make you wonder if our seasons are out of whack. In MN we didn't get all the cold, snow and wind until into January and that is really late for us. Here we are going into March which had historically been our windy and snowy month. It concerned me that we will have a late spring. A late spring is really hard on the farmers cause it was wet last fall and now all this snow that may not melt away til May which makes for cold soil temperatures.

We can't worry about it and lose sleep because it will be what it will be. Good luck to all. Stay warm and safe. Irish

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2019, 02:03:32 PM »
Here where I live in Central IL, March came in like a lamb - which I was thankful for.  Other states, however, experienced March come roaring in as a lion with lots of snow and whiteout conditions.

This past Sunday (3rd) saw devastating tornadoes in Alabama and Georgia claiming 23 lives so far, and there are still people unaccounted for.   :(  The videos of destruction on television are so heartbreaking.

The last few days have been cold and windy here.  Yesterday, on my way into work it was -1 degree, with a feel like of -18.  Brrrrrrr  By this Saturday, it is suppose to be 51 degrees.  Such big, big swings in the temperatures all winter long.

Thankfully, Spring is "suppose" to officially be here in 15 days!!  Can't wait, and it can't get here soon enough!!

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2019, 09:49:50 PM »
I had not heard about the warm temps for this weekend. I just heard today that MN could get 12 inches of snow again if the storm stays far enough north. These storms just keep on coming, don't they. Sounds like the jet stream needs to go a different direction. WWe can just all pray that the tornados stay away. One of the fellow in my coop said he went for a ride today and if we get 12 inches of snow we could be in serious trouble as we are running out of places to put the snow when we plow. The snow banks are really high. Take care all. irish

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2019, 02:38:23 PM »
Irish, I certainly hope you don't get another 12 inches of snow!  Wow!  Thankfully, all of our snow is gone and today we are just dealing with rain.  The winds are suppose to pick up later this evening.

On the news yesterday it showed all the snow they were getting out in the far West coast of the U.S. 

The people in the South are being hit with rain, hail, and possible tornadoes again this weekend.   :(

Take care, everyone.

Bucky

P.S.  Don't forget to "spring" forward your clocks tonight for Daylight Savings Time.  I love when there is more daylight in each day!   8)
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

Nomad

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2019, 05:04:30 AM »
I?m in Central Florida. I think the weather has been strange.

Last summer was painfully hot. May through September was summer weather. July and August were brutal. Like 98-105.

Late January we had some very cold days in the thirties , or a little below...which of course is cold for Florida.

The last week or so has been pleasant.

BUT today it?s 66-87. 87! 87 is on the high side for March, I think.

I?m actually concerned about another brutal summer. I felt sickly more than once last summer just doing simple things. One can?t drink enough water to cool down. I recall one person MUCH younger than myself told me she rarely goes out of the house June-August due to extreme heat or plans trips for morning or night. She considers it a hazard. Wow! I never thought of it this way.

Weather extremes (either way) are tough on the body.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 05:10:00 AM by Nomad »
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2019, 12:52:29 PM »
Intolerance of heat is a problem that most people with autoimmune diseases have. I don't go out much either in the summer during the hot days. I have been this way for years and even when raising kids I would save my heavy housework for evening in the summer. After 7PM is the time that the electric companies want us to wash clothes due to such a heavy use of electricity during the day. Also, during the hours from 9AM to early evening there are a whole lot of business that are open and heavy electrical use goes on.

The cost for electricity after 7PM is cheaper they say. I don't want a black out so I hope people abide by the later hours to do things. Anyway. Sit and rest and read, do the lighter things around the house. If you keep the lights off and use just minimum of light while cooking during the day it doesn't feel as hot. Hope yoyo can make it through this coming summer. I also expect it to be hot like last year. Irish

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2019, 04:11:50 PM »
Biting winds back in the UK - possibility of snow where I live. The wind is howling outside right now. I fear all the blossom trees that flowered early are going to suffer big time.
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2019, 06:13:56 PM »
Spring is almost here in NC.  The daffodils have been blooming and most of the flowering trees, especially the Dogwood trees are in bloom.

We've had a very wet and rainy lead up to Spring, with weeks of rain and 45 degree weather, which is miserable.

But today was in the 60's, and sunny.

I hope we have good weather for our 'big move' into our Senior Living Community apartment, this weekend.  So many things to take care of.  I don't do any of the physical move, but manage all the new checks, forwarding of mail, changes of address, etc. AND planning what fits in the new apartment and where it should be placed.

We've been eating lunch or dinner every day in the elegant dining room.  And meeting our new neighbors, too.

A new adventure and Spring!

Regards, Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2019, 11:25:16 PM »
It is hard to believe that you have had such lovely weather today, Caroline. It was so cloudy, damp and raining all day. We have so much snow here and there has been so much melting of the roadways and sidewalks, driveways, etc. The water is running and I am so concerned about the potential for flooding. Floods are so devastating. Have a good day for your move. You sound like a busy woman!!!

Scottie, Can just imagine the wind howling through the trees where you live. WE have had a lot of wind these past months. My husband always used to say that if it is windy ion the spring such as April and May, it means that it will be windy all summer. I don't like windy summer....breezy isn't bad but that wind blowing the soil around is not good. Hope your blossoms don't freeze. Irish

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2019, 02:02:41 PM »
Super windy greetings from Central Illinois today.  We have 25-35 mph winds with gusts of 45-55 mph.  I bet it's more than that because it is difficult to walk in this wind.

I feel sorry for all you folks who are dealing with the Bomb Cyclone that is present right now across the U.S.  A Bomb Cyclone brings blizzard conditions, flooding, and hurricane force winds.  There's lots of snow in Colorado and states surrounding that area.  These storms are spawning tornadoes too.

I can just imagine how the insurance companies are super busy with all kinds of claims from damage to vehicles, property, homes, and businesses.

Please stay safe and seek shelter if you need to in this weather.

Bucky

Nomad

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2019, 01:27:00 AM »
Yesterday it was 89 degrees. I didn?t realize it was getting that hot. We went to an art fair. I had to leave right away as I got instantly tired. I drank a ton of water, but it doesn?t help. As I mentioned, I?m actually a little frightened. It is depressing for me to start restricting any outdoor activity starting now in March. This will go through September.
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2019, 11:51:01 PM »
nomad, Just curious as to what type of temperatures you have had then past month. In MN when we have these cold, late winters and then go directly to the 80 degrees the change is hard on most of us. When it has been in the 40's and then jumps up to those warm temperatures we have all been used to wearing some type of a jacket and then to get warm like that our bodies don't adjust well. It is like our internal thermometer can't figure out what to do. Makes it hard to people to work and do physical exercise.

We have been in the high 30s the past couple of days and the weekend is to be some warmers. We don't want it getting so warm as the snow should not melt so fast. Nebraska is just inundated with water. Seventy percent of counties are under water in many places. The Missouri river is over its banks and Iowa is also having flooding on western border. Such weather we have all over the world. Irish

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2019, 03:12:59 PM »
nomad - 89 is too hot for me, my "ideal" temperature would be between 70-75.  Once the temperatures start climbing into the 80's, I get too hot.

A couple years ago our temperatures were in the 100's on and off all summer - it was awful!  (Having temperatures in the 100's is not normal for us, but it does happen on occasion.)

Irish - the news coverage of the floods in Nebraska are heartbreaking.  There's absolutely nothing they can do about it until the water starts to recede.  I can only imagine what the spring weather will be once all the rains come with it.   :-\  In CA, they worry about the mud slides when it rains since the fires from last year destroyed the vegetation that would normally absorb the rain.

Here in IL, we are experiencing temps in the 50's, which is perfect for spring weather.  I keep wrestling with the idea of taking up the winter driveway markers . . is it too soon, will we get some more snow?? I think I'll wait until next weekend and then take them up.  Keeping my fingers crossed that we are done with the snow from this past winter season.

I wish everyone throughout the world didn't have to deal with the aftermath of challenging weather conditions - unfortunately, that's not a reality.

Bucky

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2019, 10:54:28 PM »
When I drove up to my sons last Sunday I listened to a radio program that interviewed the governors of Iowa and Nebraska. It was just heartbreaking. I don't know how these people are going to cope. Not only have most of them lost their homes but also their income as they are farmers. I sure hope that people step up and help. These storms or sorts will be the norm across the globe I fear. Irish