Author Topic: Talking about the weather in 2019  (Read 3062 times)

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Talking about the weather in 2019
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2019, 06:41:03 PM »
Wow! The snow is disappearing so fast that it is hard to believe. It has been around 50 degrees the past couple of days. Hopefully it won't heat up to fast and give the ground a chance to absorb and dry. There has been sun and wind so that helps with the drying. Irish

Carebear

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2019, 10:27:51 PM »
Lots of melting happening up here these days, although we have a lot more left to go.  Temperatures have been as warm as 6 or 8 degrees Celsius.  Quite nice after such a miserable winter.  And now they are calling for snow this week.  Noooo!

When am I ever going to wash my car?
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2019, 10:55:41 AM »
Happy April!!  The months are just rolling by!

I hope those of you who still have snow on the ground will finally see green grass soon.  Here in IL, we are suppose to get up to 60 degrees today and 70 degrees for Sat. & Sun.!!  Woohoo!!

Our grass has already greened up and it will be time to mow soon.  There are little green shoots of flowers popping out of the ground, some daffodils are already blooming, and the trees are budding. 

Tomorrow is the kick off of the golf season where I work.  We've been open for golf for a while already, but it's "official" tomorrow.   :)  It's been nice and quiet around the business over the winter months and now everything will kick into high gear with noise, people, and events.

Ever since I became a licensed driver I have been concerned (ok, worried) when I'm traveling wondering what kind of weather we'll encounter as we travel.  I'm not traveling right now, however, our only child just pulled out of the driveway with his cousin to head to CO for a 4-day trip to go skiing. I don't dare look at the radar for weather between IL and CO as it will only upset me if it's stormy and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it (it will be over 2,000 miles round-trip).  So, I'll just pray for their safe travels and leave it at that.  (Soooo hard to do as a parent!!)

I hope the weather is looking up for wherever you live.

Have a good weekend!
Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2019, 05:38:14 PM »
Well . . . here it is early Spring here in the U.S., and that means the weather is unpredictable.  The news people are calling a major storm to affect many states starting on Wednesday (10th) a "monster blizzard" with lots of heavy, wet snow in some areas, whiteouts with blowing winds, and rain in some areas.  They are also calling this storm "one for the history books" . . . um, that doesn't sound good!   :o

Here in Illinois, our temps are going to drop from the 70's and 60's we've had the last two days into the 40's by Thursday with rain, possibly severe storms.  Oh yay, ugh!

Those of you in the path of these storms please be safe and prepare yourselves as best you can.  If you have to be out in the weather make sure your vehicle is gassed up and you have all the "winter" items you would normally use available.  Be safe and check in and let us know how you're doing and what's happening where you live.

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2019, 06:20:04 PM »
Well, remember those couple weeks of melting snow and grass trying to turn green? We also had 70 degrees last week. Today it started snowing a wet big flaked snow and we got a couple of inches. They let school out early also. Back in winter mode.

Someone told me there is to be more snow but it had quit by late afternoon. Will know in the morning. This is not unusual for Minnesota to have a fairly deep wet snow ion April. In Michigan we called it a sugar snow as the temps were not terribly warm or too cold and it caused the maple sap to run well during the day and rest some at night. Irish

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2019, 07:07:04 PM »
Irish - did you get any more snow out of that lovely Spring snow you had?

We ended up with rain and wind, wind, and more wind!  It knocked our internet antenna out of whack, so we've been without internet for three days - we just got it fixed today.  Yay!  With this electronic world we live in now, a day without the internet seems like forever.  Ha!

Tonight, overnight into Sunday, we're suppose to get 1-2" of snow!   :o  Say what??  We're suppose to be done with snow!  Thankfully, it won't last long and will probably be gone by Monday.

Crazy weather!

I've tried to find out how much snow other states got from the Spring storm, but I haven't found any specific amounts.  I have seen pictures of South Dakota and they had quite a bit of snow.

Throughout this weekend, there is suppose to be lots of rain, winds and possible tornadoes in the Southern and Eastern states.  If you are in those areas, be safe and keep an eye on the sky for changing weather.

Bucky

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2019, 02:07:44 PM »
Checking in - how's the weather where you live?

My last post on this thread was April 13th, when I posted, "Tonight, overnight into Sunday, we're suppose to get 1-2" of snow!". HA!!  We ended up getting 6-1/2" of heavy, wet snow!  It looked really pretty on the trees - although, it didn't help as the branches were bending down from the weight. 

I think it took the local road crews by surprise as the roads were un-plowed and a mess! I'm sure they had already taken their plows off the trucks. We had ventured out to church only to find out once we got there that church was cancelled.   :-\

One nice thing about it snowing that late into the season, that half the snow was gone by Monday, and completely gone by Tuesday!  Yay!

Did anyone else get hammered by that storm that rolled through several Midwestern states?  Actually, I think it just kept on moving across the U.S. and headed to the East coast.

Right now, the grass has completely greened up and neighbors have already mowed.  Flowers are popping out of the ground and the leaves are budding on the trees. Hello allergy season!

We've already had a couple "no coat" days . . . those are my favorite.  Our temperatures haven't gotten to the 80's yet, but we have had several mid 70's degree days.  The 70's are my happy place, any hotter than that and I don't like it.

What's your weather like?

Bucky

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2019, 10:04:49 PM »
We had the snow that went through fast....hit western, southern, central and some of northwestern mn and I think I read that Duluth got a bunch also. The snow that came down that time melted fast and the rest of the snow melted so fast with the rains we had last week on Thursday. I came home from my sons up northwestern mn and the Minnesota river had gone over the banks and road in one place. The Crow river and all the creeks visible from the road were in flood stage up toe the roads and out into the fields but have since gone down.

It seems like it is becoming spring very fast and have to get the cover off my air conditioner.. It was a long winter but it went faster for me than I thought it would. Take care all and don't forget the sunscreen. Irish

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2019, 07:33:33 PM »
It seems the U.S. is experiencing rain, rain, and more rain!  Many rivers are over their banks and there is a lot of flooding in areas that have never flooded before.

There has also been tornadoes the past two days.  It seems the last few years that there are more tornadoes than there used to be.

Watching the evening news is depressing - so many sad stories - many weather related here in the U.S. and in other countries too. 

It's bad enough when the weather is bad during the daylight hours, but when the storms roll through in the evening and overnight when it's dark out - one can't tell the total devastation until daylight. 

If you are out-and-about in the evening rains and come upon water covering the road, don't take a chance and drive through it - you have no idea how deep the water is and if there is road damage underneath the water.  There have been lives lost when they made a bad choice of driving through the water instead of turning around.  If there are barricades up, don't go around them, they are up for a reason.  Please be safe!

Bucky

Carebear

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2019, 08:25:55 PM »
We have a lot of flooding in Eastern Canada too.  It's heartbreaking.  After a long hard winter, now this.

Here in Western Canada, it's like winter has returned.   Tons of snow, some rain, freezing temperatures and a whole lot of heavy wind.  Today it had snowed so much in the early morning, and drivers forgot how to travel safely on their way to work.  Yikes.   I thought we had finished with all that.
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2019, 10:10:39 PM »
Carebear - how's the weather now where you are?

This has been a crazy weather week worldwide. 

I've seen footage of a dust storm in Victoria, Australia that went from daylight to complete darkness as the storm rolled through.  They get those kind of dust storms in Arizona here in the U.S.

There is still a lot of rain, flooding, hail and tornadoes here in the U.S.  And SNOW!!  Duluth, Minnesota has had 10.9 inches of snow the last two days!  That's just crazy this time of year!

There's been cyclone destruction in India from Cyclone Fani.

It seems no one is exempt from the pearls of Mother Natures wrath.  I've mentioned this before, but it seems the older I get, the more intense and more frequent the fluctuating weather is.  I don't remember weather like this when I was growing up.

This week here in Central Illinois our temperatures have been anywhere between the 40's and upper 70's - it just can't make up it's mind.

If you are reading this, what's the weather like where you live?

Bucky

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2019, 11:24:19 PM »
Bucky,
We had some bad weather at times years ago but nothing like has been hitting us the past 10+ years. You have really kept track of the weather lately. You are paying attention. I had laid off the weather channel until a couple of days ago and the Houston area is just suffering with flooding again. I don't think there is anything worse than flooding. The sanitation becomes such a problem and is so widespread. Lots of flooding in the US the past few years. Right now the Kansas area, Oklahoma and southern states have flooded and Minnesota is flooding in the Red River Valley again.

Sure hope weather improves and gives people a reprieve for the summer when it is warmer. Take care. Irish

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2019, 06:48:48 PM »
Good evening from Central, Illinois.

It seems like a broken record here in the U.S. these days - rain, floods, hail, strong winds, tornadoes . . . repeated week after week.  Tonight is no exception.

Tonight on the weather site it says, "prolific severe weather event sparks tornadoes, hail, flooding in Oklahoma, Texax and Kansas".  Those areas keep getting hit with bad weather day after day for weeks on end.

The site also said, "Tornado Watch #199 is coming for Oklahoma.  This is only the second watch in SPC history where every category of watch probabilities (tornado, wind, hail) are at greater than 95%."  This does not sound good for the people who live there.

Flagstaff, Arizona has snow.  Cedar Grove, California has 14" of snow.  Midwest Poplar, Wisconsin has 7.3" of snow. Duluth, Minnesota still has snow.

Here in Central Illinois we are expecting severe thunderstorms Tuesday during the day and into the evening with possibility of large hail, flooding downpours, tornadoes, damaging wind gusts (80 mph).   ???  The temperature this week will fluctuate from the 60's to the 80's, up and down, up and down. 

Wherever you live, please be safe and listen to and heed any weather warnings that might be happening in your immediate area.  Have a plan in place before the storms come.

"Keep a close eye to the sky and be aware of rapidly changing weather conditions."

Stay safe,
Bucky

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2019, 08:05:02 PM »
Good advice Bucky.

I fell asleep in my rocker again last nite with TV on weather channel and woke up middle of night. Looked at the silent screen and saw the word tornados and other words that meant impending danger in the next day or 2 so I turned up the sound. Unbelievable what Mother Nature is producing this year.

It sounds so dangerous and at the same time it brings fear because of how the weather affects the food cycle in the world. Lots of stress again this year and hope we can all be patient and wise when it comes to making choices that affect our lives and lives of our family plus the choices that affect all the people in the world.

Times like these do not make me pine for the expensive items on line but cause me to yearn for the simple life of years gone by. Simple meals and desires, a roof over my head and family to hold dear. Stay safe everyone. Irish

Carebear

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2019, 08:10:04 PM »
Our winds on the Canadian prairies gets worse each year.  This weekend was almost comical as I tried to fill the containers with potting soil.  Potting soil is very light, so...I am still cleaning it out of my eyes, nostrils and mouth!

Some might ask why I decided to do this in such a strong wind.  Well, that would be because it never stops blowing here!  I tried overseeding the lawn but I think the grass seed landed a few miles from here.

Our poor pup has a terrible time walking against the wind too.  Funny thing.  It's a "breeze" going the other direction.  Sorry.  Just trying to be "punny".

Oh, and it's very dry over here too.  No snow, Bucky.  Not yet anyway.