Author Topic: Talking about the weather in 2019  (Read 244 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Talking about the weather in 2019
« on: January 16, 2019, 01:17:37 PM »
Hi - since this is a worldwide forum and we come from many different climates, I thought it would be interesting to learn about the weather where our members live.  Here in the U.S.A, we can have a wide range of different weather within 100 miles of where we live - than alone from coast to coast.

We're only 16 days into the new year and already Mother Nature has released her fury here in the U.S. and in other parts of the world.

It's hard to believe that the first weekend in January we were in the low 60's here in Central Illinois only to experience a foot of snow the next weekend!   :o  They are predicting more snow this coming weekend . . . oh goodie, NOT!!  We have a long driveway and nobody to plow it.  The man who used to plow it has given up his business, and we haven't found anybody else yet.  Thankfully, last weekend a friend with a Hummer made several paths up and down our drive for us, then my son and I went out and shoveled out the middle of the driveway so we could get out without dragging the underside of our vehicles.

The weather of 2018 left a lot of fires, floods, volcano activity, tornadoes, hurricanes, and blizzards here in the U.S. and earthquakes, droughts and other devastation in other parts of the world. I hope the weather in 2019 won't be as destructive and devastating.

So, what's the weather like where you live?  This will be a long-term thread so feel free to jump in at any point and talk about the weather.   8)

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Re: Talking about the weather in 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 11:04:41 AM »
Happy Friday!!  Here in the Midwest it is the calm before the storm, we sit waiting for the latest snow storm to pass through the area late this afternoon and overnight into Saturday. 

Right now, it's not doing anything, but all that is to change within the next four-five hours just when everyone is heading home from work for the weekend.   :(

Last weekend, we got a foot of heavy snow, this weekend they are calling for 4-6" of snow. Living in snow country, 4-6" isn't a lot of snow, however, along with the snow there are going to be whiteout conditions as there will be 30 mph winds.  Ugh!

We're prepared as best we can . . . just want my boys to get home from work before all the snow starts, then we can hunker down for the weekend and stay in.

Once the storm gets done here in the Midwest, it's heading East.  This storm literally started on the West coast and will travel all across the U.S. to the East coast and out to sea.  I'm not sure if our Canadian friends to the North will be getting any of this system or not.

If you are living in an area impacted by the snow storms, stay safe and don't travel unless you have to.

What's happening where you live?

Have a safe weekend.

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 03:57:47 AM »
"Canadian Friend" here, we've been told to prepare for a significant storm, but no one seems to know what! Apparently we are in the track of 4 major storms, one from each direction, and they keep shifting slightly, so we don't know exactly what to expect. Best quote I've seen so far is " Saint John is right in the middle of all the precipitation, with a whole mix of precip, starting with 20-40 cm ( 8-16 inches) of snow, changing over to ice pellets then freezing rain and probably rain". In other words, they have no idea. Temperature forecast ranges from -20 (-4F) overnight (its 7AM now and I think the lowest was -12(10F) to +4 (39.2F).

On a lighter side, a local potato chip company is cashing in! A couple of years ago they developed a line called "storm chips" which is one bag with all their best selling flavours (creamy dill, ketchup, barbeque and salt & vinegar) as a result of a facebook comment about stocking up on snacks with a storm pending. Now when we make sure we have bread, water, milk, gas and batteries(and probably beer) most Maritimers include storm ships in the list as a general name for whatever snack they like to have on hand.

http://coveredbridgechips.com/en/our-chips?id=7
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 06:35:37 PM »
Well, I don't think we got as much snow as they were predicting - at least not in the area where I live.  I guess up in the Chicago area (3 hrs. North of me), they had more snow, etc. which caused problems at Chicago O'Hare Airport.

I haven't ventured out all weekend, so I can only base it on what I see out our windows.  I do know it's really cold out!  Dipping down to single digits tonight with wind chill in the minus numbers.  Brrrr!

Linda - looking on the weather radar site, it did look like you were getting a big mixture of all the things you mentioned!!  Lucky you!!  NOT!  I hope it's not too bad for you.

For those of you who have never lived in snow country - you're lucky. I grew up in the snowbelt of Northeast Ohio where it was common for us to be dumped on in the winter with high snow fall totals. I'd much rather have to deal with snow than ice - ice scares me.

I've heard there is more snow to come this coming week . . . oh goodie, NOT!  Let's see, how many more days till Spring???  Eight more weeks . . . woohoo!!

Have a good week everyone - stay safe.

Bucky

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 10:15:27 AM »
Greetings from the freezing weather in Illinois.  Boy, oh boy, is it COLD!!   Our current temperature is 9 degrees with a "real feel" of -10, with 18 mph winds at the moment.  Tonight, the actual temperature is suppose to be -22, with a "real feel" temperature of -47!!!  :o :o :o  In my lifetime, I don't EVER remember having temperatures this low. Now I've never been to Alaska, but this is how I would picture it would be living there.

Schools and businesses are closed tomorrow due to the extreme cold.  I wish my husband and son didn't have to work tomorrow, my work is closed.  At least the boys are carpooling together so that's a little less worry for me.

I know other states are dealing with these brutally cold temperatures too.  Please, please, please heed all the warnings to stay indoors if possible or if you HAVE to be outside, dress appropriately, frostbite can happen in as little as five minutes in these conditions. 

To my dear friends in Canada . . . ah hem, this cold air is coming from y'all . . . . this is one occasion where I wish you would keep the weather to yourselves!!   ;)

Stay warm everybody.  What's happening where you live?

Bucky

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 08:58:54 PM »
Bucky, Enjoying your thread on the weather. I don't think the weather man is right very often but he did seem to hit the nail on the head with this storm. It came in a little later than predicted though.

Our weather started during the night ono Sunday into Monday and Monday was cold with around 8 inches snow accumulated and some wind. The wind increased last night and this morning was around 15...20 below ad wind. Tonight the wind chill is up to 40 below zero and the temp is to be below 20 tonight. This is exactly like many, many storms we weathered in the country on our acreage raising our boys. Worried so about boys driving to and from school and home from work in the dark during those storms.

The worst wind chill we had was in the winter of 83/84. It was cold a lot that winter and there were about 4 days when it got so cold that when I came out from work to start my car the tires were flat on the bottom. I drove 1/2 block to the gas station going clunk on tires square on one side. The tire pressure was 13 pounds. That was something.

That night it stormed so bad we couldn't see hubby's car parked about 25 feet from the house. The wind chills were 80 below that night and stayed around 40 below during the day. The farmers had a terrible time cause all their equipment froze and they had to feed by hand and milk by hand in areas without electricity. Out son had a friend over who lived about 4 miles from us and he didn't get home for 3 days due to weather.

I have to admit that I enjoyed those days cause I loved to hunker down during storms and make soup and "motherly" things to eat. My hubby didn't like this weather cause it took about 6 hours to plow and blow snow in our yard and driveway. I am now thankful to be hunkered down in my coop apt. that doesn't require my sons to plow me out. Weather does repeat itself I think. Irish

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 07:26:43 PM »
Irish - I always notice the temps in MN - you guys are usually colder there than we are in Illinois.  MN gets more snow than we do . . . not complaining here!!   ;)  Irish - I'm glad where you live now that you don't have to worry about shoveling and digging out from the snow. 

I'm so glad that I'm not a pioneer woman of years gone by and having to deal with the extreme cold we've had the last several days.  We're so thankful for heat and a roof over our heads.

Yesterday morning when I got up, the actual temperature was -20 with a real feel temp of -54!!!  Brrrrrrrrr!!!  It was still in the negative numbers here this morning and afternoon, but not AS bad. By this weekend, we're suppose to warm up to the 40's & 50's which will be like a heat wave!  I'll be glad that our driveway can thaw out a bit.

Speaking of a heat wave, I heard on the news last night about our friends "across the pond" who are experiencing extreme heat as it is their summer time in Australia right now.  I hope they get some much needed relief from the heat soon.  I will gladly send some snow to them.

I haven't heard what the predictions are for our upcoming summer here in the U.S.A. - I hope it's not super hot here and I hope there isn't the flooding, fires, and tornadoes like we experienced last year.

I hope everyone has a good weekend. 

Bucky

Carebear

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 07:53:57 PM »
Way up here in northern Alberta (western Canada) we are bracing for the freezing temperatures to reach us tomorrow.   With that, we will get around 30 cm of snow (12 inches).

Now, we are better prepared for the deep freeze than most folks, but come on!  Two weeks or longer is a bit much.

Oh well. The fridge and pantry are full.  Time for some binge watching this weekend!
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 09:36:13 PM »
Irish - how's your weather tonight?  I've seen news reports for MN and it doesn't look very encouraging.   :(

Today on my way into work it was 33 degrees, on the way home from work the winds were blowing at 24 mph and the temp. had dropped to 19.  Tonight, we're dropping down to single digits with below zero wind chills.  Brrrrrrr . . . spring can't get here soon enough!!  Overnight we're suppose to get between 30-50 mph winds - I believe it as the house is creaking and the wind is whipping the trees around.

I had seen on the evening news tonight that the surrounding states had blizzard like snow with blowing and drifting, ice, rain, and even some tornadoes.   :o 

I hope wherever you are living that you are warm and safe.

Bucky

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 10:18:55 PM »
Well, Bucky, I got out of my nest for the first time since last Friday. I tried to go to the bank and they were closed at 2:30PM. I tried to go to the drug store and the sign on the door said closed at 2PM due to weather. There were more places closed. I called my son and asked him if it was a holiday...no holiday....closed due to weather. I could to believe it. I was very blustery and around 0 degrees with some wind but it was not that bad. School had been closed today also. They missed 4 days last week.

I went out to my sons about 5 miles in country and it was fun.  Blowing snow and pin drift as we call them....small drift but pretty good driving 40 mph. I stayed an hour and then came home and it was blustery and getting worse but still not that bad but it would be worse in the dark. The temp is now 4 below and the wind is about 18 mph. I went to the grocery store and it ended up they were closing early also. People are not copping well with this weather compared to years ago.. My hubby traveled by car many states ini terrible cold, snow and wind and my 3 boys all learned how to drive and carry warm clothes, shovel, battery charger, etc and even without cell phones they would call me and tell me when they were heading home.

I bet tomorrow will have more closings and no school. Some of the reason there is no school besides safety with buses etc is that the kids these days don't know how to dress for the cold and most don't have boots. We have not had a winter like this in 20 years I think.

I hope the rest of you are staying safe and warm. The whole country is battling this cold.  My son talked to a salesman who was in the western part of MN last week and the temp was 4 above zero and he said it was pouring down rain. Strange weather. Good luck all. Irish

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 08:24:55 PM »
It wasn't supposed to storm today. So sunny this morning. About noon the wind came up and it just got steadily worse. I was out to grocery store and Walmart and the snow was blowing big time and the fast food places had drive up windows that we filling in with drifts. Also the sundog was so large today and was so pretty.

I love it when it isn't so cold and the wind is blowing and giving the sky that blustery almost foggy look. I wanted to have a snowmobile suit and go out to the farm and play in the snow. My sister told me what I really wanted was youth. Maybe........... ::) Irish
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 12:02:56 AM by irish »

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 03:44:26 AM »
 Don't we all, Irish, don't we all! Well, the physical benefits, if not the drama anyway LOL
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld