Author Topic: Radiation for breast ca, then Sjogren's symptoms  (Read 99 times)

sunflower

Radiation for breast ca, then Sjogren's symptoms
« on: January 11, 2019, 09:58:31 AM »
Hello all,

It has occurred to me that my peripheral neuropathy and other Sjogren's-related symptoms really took off in a variety of directions about 4 months after I completed radiation for breast cancer.  (Radiation was in 2014; I already had sicca symptoms.)  My nagging problem after the radiation was that I was so tender I couldn't wear a bra for a year.  I still can hardly touch the scar site to do exams.  Mammos are excruciating.  Doctors and technicians have never heard of pain after radiation.

Is there a connection between radiation and resulting Sjogren's symptoms and what would it be?  Has anyone else heard of this?

Sunflower
Sjogren's - eyes dx Feb/06, variety of new symptoms 2015, seroneg, lip bx 6/16 neg; early AMD; chronic lymphocytic leukemia dx 2006; kidney disease stage 3; breast ca - surgeries, radiation 2014
Rx:  coversyl+, amitriptyline; supps: Vitalux, Omega 3, calciuim

Sharon

Re: Radiation for breast ca, then Sjogren's symptoms
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 03:53:58 PM »
Hi sunflower, from what I have read:
1- Sicca symptoms can occur following radiation, but are supposedly limited to the area that received the radiation (such as dryness of the mouth following salivary gland radiation).
2- Any trauma can trigger autoimmune diseases. Having breast cancer and having to undergo treatment for it may be experienced as both emotional and physical trauma.

Sjogren's (+ RA?) positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA salivary gland swelling, dry mouth & eyes,, eyelid swelling & redness, photosensitivity, fatigue, severe joint pain, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions 
Orencia, Restasis, Paleo Diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 200mg, Omega 3...