Author Topic: Article: Unusual symptoms, SS dx  (Read 537 times)

sunflower

Article: Unusual symptoms, SS dx
« on: January 10, 2019, 09:12:57 AM »
Hello SS friends,

I haven't posted in a long time but I continue with my array of symptoms without a diagnosis. 

I ran across this Medscape article this morning and it is so unusual I thought I would post it.  (Registration may be needed?)  The purpose of it is to describe a patient's symptoms and for doctors to select a diagnosis (so it's quite academic).  The patient has odd symptoms but ends up with a Sjogren's diagnosis.  To me, it's further proof of how obscure a diagnosis can be.

https://reference.medscape.com/viewarticle/824288?src=wnl_tp10n_190110_mscpedit&uac=223218FV&impID=1855584&faf=1

Best New Year's wishes to you courageous Sjogren's sojourners,
Sunflower
Sjogren's - eyes dx Feb/06, variety of new symptoms 2015, seroneg, lip bx 6/16 neg; early AMD; chronic lymphocytic leukemia dx 2006; kidney disease stage 3; breast ca - surgeries, radiation 2014
Rx:  coversyl+, amitriptyline; supps: Vitalux, Omega 3, calciuim

SjoGirl

Re: Article: Unusual symptoms, SS dx
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 11:58:29 AM »
Thanks for sharing. The NY Times had an article in this Monday's edition about a network or group which has grown up which attempts to find a diagnosis when one has not been forthcoming. I would share more information but we sent the papers out for recycling today.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 06:52:48 PM »
Thanks sunflower,

I remember reading somewhere that fairly often Sjogren's Syndrome presents FIRST with neurological symptoms, and no SICCA symptoms.

SjoGirl, here's your link to the NYT article:

When the Illness Is a Mystery, Patients Turn to These Detectives

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/07/health/patients-medical-mysteries.html

Regards, Elaine (aka Carolina)
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

sunflower

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 09:40:28 AM »
Thank you for your replies.  It's good to know there are people who aren't afraid of disease mysteries and will go to the wall to solve them.

In case anyone had trouble getting into the article, here's more about the symptoms.  "A 34-year-old woman presents to the emergency department with a 10-day history of weakness of the bilateral lower extremities, as well as urinary retention and constipation. She also complains of vomiting and dysphagia with liquids, along with drooling and nasal regurgitation for 3 weeks."

Presenting first with neurological symptoms would add to the mysteries of SJS and complicate a diagnosis.  Sigh...

Sunflower
Sjogren's - eyes dx Feb/06, variety of new symptoms 2015, seroneg, lip bx 6/16 neg; early AMD; chronic lymphocytic leukemia dx 2006; kidney disease stage 3; breast ca - surgeries, radiation 2014
Rx:  coversyl+, amitriptyline; supps: Vitalux, Omega 3, calciuim

Deb 27

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 04:28:53 PM »
I saw that article and had no idea it would end up being Sjogrens!!! Couldn't recognize my own disease but I surely didn't present like that.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 05:36:39 PM »
One can have many different symptoms with Sjogrens. I would bet that dry mouth, dry eyes are not found in all people for a primary diagnosis. I had gastrointestinal symptoms early on which don't make a person thing there is anything big going on. Then I had teeth problems with infection, extractions, abscesses, root canals, etc and many antibiotics and no dentist or doctor thought it was weird. The dry eyes came after 30 years of illness and about 2 months after diagnosis of Sjogrens. I have had more symptoms as time goes on and yet no cure for the sjogrens.

Most of us just have to take a deep breath and keep on going. Not fun but the best thing we can do for now. One of these days a cure will appear. Good luck. Irish