Author Topic: Salivary Gland Ultrasound / Chest X-Ray  (Read 569 times)

markt

Salivary Gland Ultrasound / Chest X-Ray
« on: January 07, 2019, 07:24:10 AM »
Just curious if anyone has had the subject imaging done?

I had the Glandular Ultrasound at Hopkins way back when they were trying to establish a diagnosis.  In my case, there were no visible ectopic / lymphocytic infiltrate lesions indicative of Sjogrens (at that point in time).

I was curious if folks here do follow up imaging of this type to stage disease progress and to asses treatment efficacy.  I.e. Getting periodic updated imagery following treatment with a B-Cell depletion therapy like Rituximab, or even Orencia. 

In many cases, you may read about salivary gland histology, flow, weight, size, etc. improving following such treatment....  which may not always translate to improved unstimulated salivary flow, but in any case, just curious what other folks Rheums/Neuros/Immunologists do and say.

Sharon

Re: Salivary Gland Ultrasound / Chest X-Ray
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 01:01:49 PM »
When my salivary gland swelling was at its worst I had a sialography and an MRI done of the glands
and it showed NOTHING wrong at all.
Since then I have lost faith in these imaging options and no longer bother.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 05:48:41 PM by Sharon »
Sjogren's (+ RA?) positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA salivary gland swelling, dry mouth & eyes,, eyelid swelling & redness, photosensitivity, fatigue, severe joint pain, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions 
Orencia, Restasis, Paleo Diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 200mg, Omega 3...

bluegardenia

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 02:34:21 PM »
I make ultrasound and mri every year and they do not show anything wrong, they are the same since six years when the nightmare started
60,primary sjs, diverticulosis,ibs,atrioventricular blocks 2 degree first type, acid reflux.
omeoprazole, vit c, flack seed, omega 3, b complex, nac,systane ultra, pineapple seeds

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 09:54:28 PM »
When I was trying to get a diagnosis about 39 years ago I was having scans of different areas and nothing ever, ever showed up just likely blood work was always negative for inflammation. I don't get much scanned anymore as I have 5 autoimmune diseases with the positive blood work, etc. I don't get much blood work either by my immunologist. He does some blood work yearly but says that it really doesn't make sense to keep doing all that blood work over again. Once a diagnosis is found the blood work can go from positive to negative and back again and the symptoms are more helpful than anything. If there are new symptoms or really aggravated symptoms he will do blood work for inflammatory increases. That makes me and my insurance company happy.

I am to the age where I have scans for bones and back issues with my internist. As I look back over my early years trying to get diagnosed I am of the opinion that I had way too many scans. Doctors always think they need to scan to prove something. Much of the time it is a waste of money and not always safe having so many scans especially with the contrast. Just my opinion. Irish

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 01:24:41 AM »
I have not had those scans. My old MD noted the swelling in my file. A few years ago they were very sore. Then, from the one on the right I go a stone that was about 1/4 inch diameter with a few odd white bumps on it. About a week later I got a similar stone out of the left. They have felt much better since. The left is edgy today but that may be something else like a low level infection that my body may be fighting.

Doctors like most people do not like to be proven wrong. So they do not like to make diagnosis. They will do common blood and fluid tests and they will do imaging test to see what is wrong. Most of the time the tests do not show what they are looking for.

I have a colonoscopy, endoscope scheduled in their look for an internal bleed that is causing slightly low hemoglobin, hemocrit, ferritin levels and slightly elevated White blood cells. They are looking for cancer, or ulcers because of an anal tear. They are not looking for my nightly nose bleeds and sinus infection.

Proper diagnostics is difficult when you only look at one or two symptoms with out allowing enough time for proper questions of the patient.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

SjoGirl

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 12:03:33 PM »
I too had that testing at Hopkins with a negative result. I have not asked to have it repeated rather believed that the fact that I could not chew and swallow food without ingesting water with every bite was all the evidence that I needed to be treated.

I've been taking Evoxac, only 15 mg per day because I can't tolerate more (I have larger doses broken down at a compounding pharmacy). That has done the trick.

I did today ask my rheumy about the potential of having sonograms done on my hands again. They are swelling mercilessly at night and now at times during the day. I had them done about a year ago and they showed what looks like RA. I am sero negative but he is treating me as though I have RA. I will be interested to hear if he thinks a repeats is in order. I asked because I want to know if it might show if the damage is progressing.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 05:09:42 PM »
Just a little something from my past for SjoGirl. I don't have arthritis but have osteoarthritis and arthritis with my Sjogrens. Years ago when I was working I would wake up almost every morning for weeks with swollen hands. They were swollen and tight and hurt. I would hold them under cold water and it was a lifesaver. Normally we think heat,but the cold literally sucked the pain out of my hands and by the time I went to work things were much better. By then I had eaten and taken Naprosyn and that helped my hands and my heels which also would be bad every morning.

To this day I still use a lot of cold on my owes....not overly cold but chilly, as I think it helps the inflammatory issues that are attacking my system. Just my experiences. Irish

SjoGirl

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 02:09:09 PM »
Thanks Irish. I wash my hands in cold water when I'm up in the middle of the night and usually first-thing in the a.m. it can help.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.