Author Topic: New toothpaste  (Read 230 times)

Way2dry

New toothpaste
« on: January 05, 2019, 08:24:18 AM »
Just thought I?d pass this along...

I recently came across a new toothpaste called Salivea.  It contains beneficial enzymes, xylitol and calcium and is very gentle on my mouth. 

When I checked out the company?s website, it says: ?It?s back! The original formula that made Biotene #1 for dry mouth. From the creators of Biotene.?  https://www.salivea.com

Some of you may remember that Biotene changed its formulation several years back both for the toothpaste and Oral Balance. They dropped the beneficial enzymes and added parabens. 

I?m still looking for a replacement for Biotene Oral Balance as their current formulation burns my tongue. Salivea doesn?t seem to have a comparable product at this time.
Primary Sjogren's dx'd 2013 on symptoms. Blood tests neg. Breast cancer 2013. Dry everything. Tinnitus, GERD,Tamoxifen, vit d, Restasis & Evoxac stopped working, COQ10, fish oil

Judie P

Re: New toothpaste
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 02:37:24 PM »
Hi, Waytodry!  Happy New Year!  I was diagnosed with primary Sjogrens in 2015, but my blood work was SS-A 8+.  I loved ACT toothpaste, but all the drug stores around me are changing to Biotene.  I never cared for Biotene and now I know why.  I found Spry, which is hard to get, in a CVS store.  Spry does not have flouride, but it has the xylitol.  I brush in the morning with Biotene and brush with the Spry at night.  I also use a water pic.  I think I would like to try the Salivea.  All other toothpastes make my mouth burn, too.
Primary SJS, SS-A >8, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, asthma, Effexor, Vitamin D 1,000mg, magnesium, Motrin, Ayr Nasal Gel, Ayr nasal mist, Optique 1 eye drops

Maria3667

• Trying to cultivate a 'dry' sense of humor...
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 04:00:53 PM »
Hi Way & Judy,

The burning sensation could be due to an ingredient in toothpaste called 'Sodium Lauryl Sulphate' (SLS).

Unfortunately the ACT toothpaste is not available in my country. My dentist recommends 'Zendium'. I'd also like to try Salivea but it doesn't seem to be available over here. Last time I tried to import a product I was hit with 60 euro import fees....
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 04:02:37 PM by Maria3667 »
51. DES-daughter, GAD, Lyme's ('98), Sjogren's ('03), hypothyroid ('04), osteoarthritis ('16), Blepharitis ('18) Pilocarpine, natural thyroid hormones, 25mg quetiapine, low dose progesterone & testosterone, supplements. Endometriosis, cherry angiomas. Allergies: nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

Liz D.

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 09:05:00 PM »
Way2dry,

I too cannot handle the Biotene Oral Balance gel anymore since they changed the formula as it burned my mouth.  I was so disappointed since I lived on that stuff.

I did find another gel from my dentist that is comparable.  It is called GC mouth gel.  Amazon sells it and it comes in various flavors.

Liz D.
54 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004, but problems started in 2000), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 400 mg; Synthroid 100mcg; Evoxac, Flovent, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., Vitamins, calcium, flaxseed oil

Way2dry

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 12:55:17 PM »
Hi Judie - Wishing you and all our fellow Sjoggies a Happy New Year!,  too.

I liked ACT toothpaste too, but CVS doesn't carry it anymore and is really pushing their brand or Biotene which I don't like.  I came across Salivea at Walgreens but since then, they haven't re-stocked it. :(  I found it on Amazon.  I think you'll like it as it is very gentle.  Thanks for the suggestion of Spry.  I'm always looking for something new to try as some things seem to work better than others.

Maria -  I found Zendium on Amazon and will give it a try next.  From the description I found, it looks like a good alternative to Salivea for you.

Liz - Thanks for the suggestion for an Oral Balance alternative.  I was desperately dry the other night and thought I'd try Oral Balance again.  I immediately regretted it as I ended up with a burning tongue.  I just ordered the GC mouth gel on Amazon.  Can't wait to try it!
Primary Sjogren's dx'd 2013 on symptoms. Blood tests neg. Breast cancer 2013. Dry everything. Tinnitus, GERD,Tamoxifen, vit d, Restasis & Evoxac stopped working, COQ10, fish oil

lighthouse33

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 04:34:14 PM »
Just thought I?d pass this along...

I recently came across a new toothpaste called Salivea.  It contains beneficial enzymes, xylitol and calcium and is very gentle on my mouth. 

When I checked out the company?s website, it says: ?It?s back! The original formula that made Biotene #1 for dry mouth. From the creators of Biotene.?  https://www.salivea.com

Some of you may remember that Biotene changed its formulation several years back both for the toothpaste and Oral Balance. They dropped the beneficial enzymes and added parabens. 

I?m still looking for a replacement for Biotene Oral Balance as their current formulation burns my tongue. Salivea doesn?t seem to have a comparable product at this time.

Saliva also has a Dry Mouth Mouth Wash and a Dry Mouth Moisturizing Spray.
Female
Primary Sjogren's, polyneuropathy, endomitriosis, dietary fructose intolerance
Plaquenil, Lyrica, Tramadal, Omeprazole, Fortical, fish oil, flaxseed oil, benefiber, centrum chewable mulitviitamin, caltrate chewable 600 D+minerals, WSN Nerve Support Formula, Align, Biotene Products