Author Topic: 2019 - Juggling Life Club  (Read 2495 times)

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
Re: 2019 - Juggling Life Club
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2019, 10:15:39 PM »
I have been working since last year on a queen size quilt for my son and daughter in law. He wanted the top to be lime green, and the back to be a medium blue with the fabric on the back fleece. Then it will have the usual batting in the middle. It is very thick and I am doing the impossible task of machine quilting it on a home machine that has a very small area under the arm. It's so heavy that it has taken me forever with all my setbacks in life.

It is now coming along well, and I am still working on it, but hoping to get some major quilting done in the nexmyt few days. He wants the back blue fleece turned over onto the edges of the front lime green cotton. It does look pretty.

The top I cut up in 10"squares and then sewed together in rows. The backing fleece wasn't wide enough without cutting it and attaching back.

I also bought a fabric license plate that looks like one on a car with our state name on it and a little saying. Then I will add the details of who made it and for who.

Wish me luck on getting it finished soon. It will be my quilt for him and her while I am still here to do it. They do a lot of camping.

susanep
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2019, 06:57:45 PM »
Susanep, your quilt sounds pretty.  I've never made a quilt myself, but I know it takes a lot of time to make one.

The quilt will be a nice keepsake for your son & daughter-in-law.  In my opinion, handmade gifts are the best!

I have an afghan that a neighbor made for me when I graduated from high school - it's 44 yrs. old and I still use it every night on my bed.

Good luck as you finish up the quilt - a quilt made with love.   :D

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Carebear

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2019, 07:18:49 PM »
Susan,  your quilt sounds beautiful!  I'm so happy to hear you've gotten back to quilting,  which I know you enjoy doing very much.  Your son is lucky to have such a talented mom.

I finally finished drywalling the two tiny walls under the stairs.  I think completing a small area takes more time than a much larger one.  Professional it is not!  Did I say it was finished?  Well not quite.  I finished one coat of mud on the seams,  and now I'm cleaning things up until after Easter.   But the end is indeed in sight.  I'm stringing up 100 feet of tiny lights under the steps to give the feel of twinkling stars.

Bucky, your relief is palpable.   I'm sure you will be wanting to keep your young lad nearby for some time now.
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2019, 11:31:05 AM »
Hi from a wet, rainy Central Illinois.  The "plan" for today was to go grocery shopping . . . well, I waited too long to get my act together and now it is pouring rain and will be for the next 1-1/2 hrs. easily. I've gone shopping in the pouring rain before and it's not fun!!  Oh well . . . I will check the freezer and pantry and see what I can whip up for dinner tonight and go shopping tomorrow.   ;)

Oh. My. Gosh . . . I should have a thread titled: Hello - I Am A Procrastinator.  It seems in my mind and on paper I have big plans to get things done but then I never get around to doing them.

Here's my self diagnosis of why I don't get things done:

1)  We're starting into our busy season at work and it's not unusual for me to work 10-11 hr. days on Mondays.  On Tuesday, my day off, I'm exhausted from work the day before - I don't want to do anything but just "chill".

2)  We are a family of three - I do 80% of everything both inside and outside the house.  If I don't do it, it won't get done!

3)  I've started downsizing, but I don't have space to store things I need to keep.  (In our house we not only have our things, but we've also got items belonging to my late MIL and my parents.)

4)  I spend too much time on the internet.  But . . in my defense, I'm usually looking things up, so I don't consider it wasted time.  I will admit, I maybe DO play a few too many games, but the entertainment is free and I'm not spending money on anything.  I like to think it's keeping my mind sharp . . yeah, I'll go with that theory!!   ;D

Well, I guess I've stalled long enough for today - guess I'll go and do something constructive around the house while there's peace and quiet before the boys get home from work.  On second thought, I know what I'll do first . . . phone a friend.  I have a neighbor that I grew up next to my whole life until I got married and moved out-of-state, she just turned 96 yrs. old.  I'll call her to chat for 15 minutes.   :D

What's happening with you as you "Juggle Life"?   Post and let us know! 

Have a good day!
Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2019, 03:39:20 PM »
Hi, full on summer here now.

We just 'juggled' ourselves into Independent Living in April.  Whew.

And our house has sold (well not closed yet) in two days!

So the juggling continues, but it's much nicer now.

Hugs, Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

Carebear

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2019, 05:41:18 PM »
Bucky, I'm right next to you with procrastinating.  Maybe it's my age, but I just don't want to do things that are too hard, too stressful or too upsetting.   Well, that leaves out 90 percent of all things, right off the top!

I did manage to finish the drywall in my little toy storage/fort for the grandkids.   I taped the seams and put one layer of mud on it.  And that's where it has stood for two weeks.  But at least I got the worst of it finished.   Now it's just SAND, MUD, SAND, MUD...MAYBE ONCE MORE FOR GOOD MEASURE.   Then two coats of paint, baseboard and molding installed, and I'm DONE!  I exhausted already!

I can't finish projects but I sure can start them!

I am designing a large table for the family room downstairs, for everyone to build puzzles on and play board games.  It will be so rustic, with the edges still having bark on them and I will treat it to look like weathered barn board.  I pick up the materials on Friday.  It will be a very fun project, which means I will get to work on it right away!  I should get it finished by our Mother's day lunch.

We're having our garage floor professionally epoxied this week, and when we can finally use the garage we will have to put everything back. Or toss it.  I hope it's something we just love.  I said I'd go along with it as long as my spouse keeps it clean.  I got a "scout's honour" and a "cross my heart" which gives me some confidence it will happen. 

Tonight we attend our first condo meeting and elect the board members.  I would rather be covered with drywall compound dust!  But alas, this is not an option for this evening. 

Elaine, congratulations on the move and the sale of your house.  I bet you can almost see the dust settling. Wishing you many happy years in your lovely new home.
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

Carebear

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2019, 08:35:58 AM »
Good news.  I finished the storage room/fort under the stairs!

Next project is to build a workshop with storage.  The walls and floors are concrete,  I need to have an electrician do some work...bare canvas!  Should be done by 2021!  Haha!

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2019, 11:43:25 PM »
Carebear, I am jealous!!! I would love to be able to do some projects like you are doing. I know it is work and it takes so much longer than it did when I was 40 years. I live in a co-op now and I get these urges to do some things and then remember that I have one bedroom and no basement and no energy.

Life is not fair. When a person want to do things they can't and when we can do them we don't always want to. Irish

I always loved drawing up plans for various projects. It is fun!!!

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2019, 07:45:27 PM »
A long overdo hello to you all!  Where oh where has the time gone?? When I last posted it was Spring . . . now, we're 18 days away from the official start of Fall.

Congrats are in order for Elaine - selling your house and moving to independent living.

Congrats Carebear on finishing your under the stairs storage room/fort.  Yay!!  How do the grand kids like it?

Susanep - have you finished your sons quilt?

Irish - maybe the place where you live could use some occasional help with a project that would be right up your alley.  Although, with all the things you have going on, I don't know you could fit it into your schedule!

I do finally have some news to share about a completed project that's been a thorn in my side for years!!  If you go back to previous posts through the years I have complained about shoe clutter and how to get it under control.  I've used a hanging shoe organizer in my closet - took up too much precious real estate in my closet that I needed for hanging clothes.  I've gotten and used an under-the-bed shoe storage container - which I still use.  Yet, I still had shoe clutter.  I really don't have that many pairs of shoes, but you do need shoes for different things: tennis shoes, flats, sandals, high heels, boots, etc.

Well, there was this man that did some woodwork for the company I work for.  He's retired and does woodwork as a hobby.  I showed him a picture of a shoe storage unit I wanted and asked if he could build it - he said sure!  So, I gave him the dimensions of the area where I wanted to put it, the number of cubbies I wanted, etc. I gave him an "idea" of what I wanted and he ran with it. Boy is that puppy heavy to carry!! I wish he would have made the cubbies a little smaller so there would have been more of them, but I'm pleased with the results. Several cubbies can hold two pairs of shoes in them (sandals).

When I brought the unit home it was in it's original raw wood condition.  Hubby strongly suggested I put several coats of poly on it.  I had to wait and wait for a break in the weather (like TWO months) as it was way too hot and humid to paint.  I only ended up putting one coat of poly on it and calling it good.  I am very sensitive to smells and the smell of the poly (even though I painted it in the garage) was so strong, I had to leave it out in the garage for two weeks for most of the smell to go away.  Every now and then, I can still smell it.

A long overdo project done!  Yay!!

Anyone else working on or finished a project you've been working on?

Bucky

Carebear

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2019, 09:12:24 PM »
Good plan for the shoe storage,  Bucky.   I wish you could send your guy over here!  I have some ideas, but no one I trust to build them.

Well, one granddaughter is taller than I am now so she's not using the fort for herself.  But the little guy thinks it's very cool.  The first place he wants to go to is our basement when he gets here. Hopefully he will take after the short side of the family so he won't be bumping his head for several more years.

I am starting to put our summer outdoor things away now because it is beginning to look like fall/winter here.  Last year we had a blizzard in September.  Needless to say, we have to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

I did start drywalling the mechanical room last week but I petered out.  Actually I put up ONE sheet.  Next week I will give it another go.

Also, next week I intend to try out warm water exercises once again. This time at a different pool.  And it starts at 9 a.m. Good luck to me!  It is three mornings weekly which will give me a good chance to really assess it.  See if it's right for me.  It really would be nice to be more active, especially in the winter.   Fingers crossed I can get out of bed that early!