Author Topic: Meibomian Glands  (Read 564 times)

Cindy

Meibomian Glands
« on: December 19, 2018, 08:05:58 AM »
Hope everyone is good,

My dryness just got to the next level. My Meibomian glands are already in the atrophy level. I have never had problems with my eyelids until now, the only reason I know is that I went to the ophthalmologist because within 2 months my mouth and eyes dryness got significantly worst. They perform a test and they explained to me that I had lost oil glands. I am scared and super sad because I feel this is the beginning of my downhill. I do not see my life living like this. For the past years, I thought I was doing great and had confidence I would conquer this but now I feel super scared. I stopped taking supplements because I felt good. For those of you taking supplements, what are you taking and for what purpose?

araminta

Re: Meibomian Glands
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 09:43:57 AM »
Hi Cindy, I'm sorry you are having trouble with this.   My ophthalmologist diagnosed MGD some time ago.   I take multivitamins and flax oil every day.   I don't think my eyes have got worse over this time, but they always look red in the evening, and if I sleep badly they look red all day.   Maybe someone else will have a suggestion to help with this problem.

Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

bluegardenia

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 03:41:21 PM »
try hot pads and tee tree oil. we spoke about that in blepharitis thread. it works, good luck
60,primary sjs, diverticulosis,ibs,atrioventricular blocks 2 degree first type, acid reflux.
omeoprazole, vit c, flack seed, omega 3, b complex, nac,systane ultra, pineapple seeds

araminta

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 02:48:17 AM »
It's true the tea tree oil certainly worked for me with the blepharitis, and if that is part of your problem then it could help.

But I still have meibomian gland dysfunction, the glands don't produce enough oil.
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

markt

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 03:49:42 AM »
I struggle with MGD as well.

Another option is to have gland probing and precision heat treatments (ILUX, or Lipiflow) done to your lids/glands. 

I had this done... the video of what comes out of your lids (the liquified meibum) is pretty gross.

But it can help.... prevents shortening and congestion of the glands... and/or eventual gland drop out.

The tea tree oils and compresses can make the therapies above more effective.

I know with Sjogrens, it can impair things (bodily processes) that we cannot easily replicate and just deal with the symptoms.

If it makes you feel better, if all else fails and you progess to total gland drop-out... there are scleral lenses / prosthetic ocular surface lenses for dry-eye.  That is a great last resort intervention to stick it to this disease and it's symptoms.

Mark

Sharon

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 11:40:44 AM »
I would just like to add that IPL therapy is now being used for MGD
as well as Azithromycin treatment.
Sjogren's (+ RA?) positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA salivary gland swelling, dry mouth & eyes,, eyelid swelling & redness, photosensitivity, fatigue, severe joint pain, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions 
Orencia, Restasis, Paleo Diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 200mg, Omega 3...

Maria3667

• Cultivating a 'dry' sense of humor.
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 05:51:19 PM »
Hi Cindy,

I'd just like to add that rubbing a tiny bit of progesterone cream on upper & lower eyelids 2x daily makes the glands function better. Progesterone improves my eye moisture like nothing else has  :)

Against chronic blepharitis I clean eye lids morning and night with diluted tea tree oil. Really helpful! Let it dry, then apply progesterone (and/or testosterone cream, some studies claim we lack both).

Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 01:09:47 AM by Maria3667 »
51. DES-daughter ('67), Lyme's ('98), GAD ('98), Sjogren's ('02), hypothyroid ('04), endometriosis ('14), osteoarthritis ('16), blepharitis ('18), frozen shoulder ('19). Meds: pilocarpine, thyroid meds, 25mg quetiapine, 10% testosterone. Allergies: nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex