Author Topic: PLEASE RESPOND : Can Sjogren cause disc herniation?  (Read 137 times)

happylife

PLEASE RESPOND : Can Sjogren cause disc herniation?
« on: December 04, 2018, 03:54:15 AM »
Hi,

Request all to respond to this poll and query. This will really help me talk to my rhumy and neurologist.

Can someone please confirm if disc herniation be caused by sjogren syndrome? Any pubmed paper link will also be appreciated.

Also if this happens will it happen on the discs eventually? or limited to few discs?
Is surgery the only solution or exercise and medications can control the pain?

Thanks
Happylife
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 04:08:24 AM by happylife »

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Re: Can Sjogren cause disc herniation?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 06:48:41 AM »
Dear happylife,

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK441822/

"The most common cause of disc herniation is a degenerative process in which as humans age, the nucleus pulposus becomes less hydrated and weakens. This process will lead to progressive disc herniation that can cause symptoms. The second most common cause of disc herniation is trauma. Other causes include connective tissue disorders and congenital disorders such as short pedicles".

Sjogren's is a connective tissue disorder.  I did not know that there was any relationship, but now I do!

https://www.merckmanuals.com/home/bone,-joint,-and-muscle-disorders/autoimmune-disorders-of-connective-tissue/overview-of-autoimmune-disorders-of-connective-tissue

Thanks for your questions.

Regards, Elaine
Female-76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-IBS-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO, Intertrigo,Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-FishOil

SjoGirl

Re: Can Sjogren cause disc herniation?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 01:18:42 PM »
I can't say there is a cause because I'm not a doc. My docs have said that they believe there could well be a connection given that, as Carolina pointed out, SjS is a connective tissue disease. What that means is that your body is being attacked where bone and muscle meet (along with other parts of the body in SjS). I have said to docs stands to reason this might cause issues with one's neck.

I do know that many of us have multiple forms of arthritis and/or issues with joints as part of Sjs. This disease is not for sissies!
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

happylife

Re: PLEASE RESPOND : Can Sjogren cause disc herniation?
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 04:07:27 AM »
Request all friends on this forum to respond to this poll and query.

This will really help me talk to my rhumy and neurologist.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: PLEASE RESPOND : Can Sjogren cause disc herniation?
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 07:54:08 AM »
I have herniation's in my neck, thorax and lumbar. They are not from Sjogren's. I believe they are from two very severe auto accidents. The herniation's set me up for all kinds of other health issues. Sjogren's basically attacks glands. As an auto immune disease I believe it attacks the mitochondria DNA of genes 6 & 7. I do not understand yet, if this is cell type specific or not.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism