Author Topic: unusual thirst  (Read 189 times)

bluegardenia

unusual thirst
« on: December 01, 2018, 07:50:26 AM »
hi everybody, I am very worried because after some good months, since two days I am very thirsty like 4 years ago when the nightmare of dry mouth started. 
4 years days ago I started  being very thirsty  that does not mean that I did not have saliva but  all of a sudden saliva disappeared. I must say that during these years I had troubles with gastritis, dry oesophagus etc but my mouth most of the time was not completely without moisture. my dentist says that if I did not tell him that I have sjogren  he would not imagine it.
 i had a magnetic resonance last week and it showed no difference with the last one three years ago, almost normal, no damage to parotids
 anybody with this strange thirst that does not diminish when drinking?
 i do not have diabetes
60,primary sjs, diverticulosis,ibs,atrioventricular blocks 2 degree first type, acid reflux.
omeoprazole, vit c, flack seed, omega 3, b complex, nac,systane ultra, pineapple seeds

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: unusual thirst
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 01:36:45 PM »
The last time that was severe for me, I ended up pulling two stones, one from each parotid gland.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

bluegardenia

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 03:18:13 PM »
but I had the magnetic resonance one week ago!!
60,primary sjs, diverticulosis,ibs,atrioventricular blocks 2 degree first type, acid reflux.
omeoprazole, vit c, flack seed, omega 3, b complex, nac,systane ultra, pineapple seeds

Sharon

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 09:45:45 AM »
Hi blue, I have had this symptom come and go.
I find that in the winter months I become particularly dry with the dry air, heaters and all.
Keep in mind that our symptoms can and usually do fluctuate in any case.
Hope things return to "normal" for you soon!
Sjogren's (+ RA?) positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA salivary gland swelling, dry mouth & eyes,, eyelid swelling & redness, photosensitivity, fatigue, severe joint pain, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions 
Orencia, Restasis, Paleo Diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 200mg, Omega 3...

happylife

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 04:31:24 AM »
hi everybody, I am very worried because after some good months, since two days I am very thirsty like 4 years ago when the nightmare of dry mouth started. 
4 years days ago I started  being very thirsty  that does not mean that I did not have saliva but  all of a sudden saliva disappeared. I must say that during these years I had troubles with gastritis, dry oesophagus etc but my mouth most of the time was not completely without moisture. my dentist says that if I did not tell him that I have sjogren  he would not imagine it.
 i had a magnetic resonance last week and it showed no difference with the last one three years ago, almost normal, no damage to parotids
 anybody with this strange thirst that does not diminish when drinking?
 i do not have diabetes

My case may be similar to yours.

When i first developed dry eyes and facepain. As doctors could not explain my condition, i got extremely anxious and in a matter 1 week, i developed severe dry mouth (only at night)....so much that tongue would stick to the roof and i had to sip water every 1 minute. Then doctor told me that i had anxiety/depression and gave me anti anxiety tablets (oleanz 10mg) with this i was able to sleep and even my dry mouth went away.....

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 06:41:51 AM »
Dear blue gardenia,

Is it actually thirst, or just that your dry mouth is not helped even after you drink water?

Even when I sip water and hold it in my mouth before I swallow it, the dryness continues. Water is actually not a very good help for dry mouth for me.  But water what I usually use. 

A piece of hard candy, or gum, which make me salivate more, is better but I don't usually try that, for some reason.

Unusual thirst is an important symptom and you probably should discuss this with your doctor.

When my dry mouth got much  worse about a year ago, I  increased my Salagen (pilocarpine) to 4 tablets (5mg each) a day.  Even with the increase my dry mouth is difficult, especially at night.

I cannot talk for very long without becoming impossibly hoarse. 

Regards, Elaine
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 01:58:33 PM by Carolina »
Female-76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-IBS-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO, Intertrigo,Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-FishOil

bluegardenia

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 09:10:11 AM »
the awful thirst almost went away leaving me with less saliva than I had till one week ago. like it happened  4 years ago.

happylife I don't think I have the same as you.
 i have sleep apneas and I have to sleep on my side because my tongue prolapses in my throat. that said sometimes for whatever reason I turn and I wake up with the horrible sensation that they are strangling me, my mouth is completely dry and I am scared to death.
 a part from that I still have some little saliva but I know that if I am anxious it diminishes and everything  is worse. I try to stay calm and breathe deeply trying to find a positive thought.not easy. I cannot take anxiety tablets because of my bradichardia.
 thanks Carolina I will speak with a doctor. I cannot take salagen or evoxac anyway

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 11:17:37 PM »
I would suck on sugar free candy and cough drops most of the time. Lemon drops also. This will keep you fairly moist and decrease the amount of fluid you drink and will make your life go back to alost normal.

I saw my ENT last week and he said that the 4 remaining large salivary glands I have left are almost totally shrunk up. I have had Sjogrens since in my 20's and am now almost 76. I told him that I have been sucking on sugar free cough drops a lot of the time for all these years. He told me that this is what had saved me from suffering a lot over those years. I suck on the cough drops as I don't care for sugar free candy. The candy upsets my stomach a whole lot more than the cough drops.

You will very well never know exactly what is causing the dryness and actually, the thing you need to do is to find a way to decrease your suffering. There are products at the pharmacy and online that are gels to moisten the mouth. They last quite a long time. If you wake up at night you will have to drink something and use some more mouth gel.

The other thing to address is your sleep apnea. This is really something that will make you mouth dryness so much worse. Have you been tested for sleep apnea? Have you been prescribed a CPAP machine to use at night. They usually have a humidifier on them and deliver moisture with the air. This would also help the dryness. I would think that you have several things making drying worse and treatment is what will help. You and your doctor will have to put your heads together and troubleshoot this issue. Good luck. Irisih

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 06:40:23 AM »
Irish is right!

Something to stimulate your remaining salivary glands, so you have less dryness in your mouth.  The lemon drops/cough drops should be sugar free to save your teeth.  I think it is time for me to resort to using drops!

And while I don't use a CPAP device (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) I know many people who use a CPAP device and get amazing relief.  The quality of your sleep when your apnea is controlled is so much better.   There are so much better CPAP devices now, too.

Regards, Elaine
Female-76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-IBS-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO, Intertrigo,Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-FishOil

bluegardenia

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 03:28:21 PM »
thanks irish and Carolina.
when you mention sugar free cough drops what do you  mean exactly? a medicine for cough in  candy? could you please tell me a name  of the product so ill see if I can get in Europe the same? of course we have lots of candies for the throat but usually they upset my stomach.
 yes I have sleep apneas, I made two sleep endoscopies, my apneas are not central but due to the prolapse of my tongue so I should sleep on my side or with a lot of pillows  to be up with the head. they mentioned cpap but this can avoided if I stay on my side.