Author Topic: Sinus problems  (Read 137 times)

Deb 27

Sinus problems
« on: November 29, 2018, 09:04:42 AM »
I've had problems with nose dryness and stuffiness, of course. However, recently, I started getting postnasal drip which was causing a cough and then wheezing. I was trying antihistamines with no help. Last night, out of desperation, I turned on my humidifier and don't you know it cleared it up???

So my question: is postnasal drip and stuffiness a thing for those of us with SJS??

Thanks!

Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

finallyadx

Re: Sinus problems
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 01:07:29 PM »
Hello Deb 27 - I can tell you that I have chronic sinus infections and issues with stuffiness and dryness.  I have had sinus problems since I was 21 and I am now 50.  I think at 21 my symptoms started eventually showing for sjogrens although I was not diagnosed until about 5 years ago.

I use a moisturizing nasal spray and flonase almost daily.  I know when I have a sinus infection though as I get the severe headache with the severe sinus and facial pressure for days on end.

I do believe that all mucus membranes can and do often get dry with sjogrens, so I believe that this can be a common issue for us.

Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way and hoping you get symptom relief.
Primary ss dx 2013, plaquenil, vitamin d, iron supplements, vitamin b12, d-mannose for chronic UTI's, magnesium for heart palpatations and Zinc

helloz

Re: Sinus problems
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 08:37:58 AM »
Sinus problems are listed as a symptom of Sjogren's on Sjogrens.org https://www.sjogrens.org/home/about-sjogrens/symptoms

If you have sinus issues, you might investigate the dryness angle - meaning your postnasal drip and stuffiness might be caused by dry sinuses.  Things like nasal rinses, humidifiers, Evoxac/Cevimeline might be helpful for some.

I've also read that anthistamines can be drying, so what we take to help might actually aggravate at times :(.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 09:01:37 AM by helloz »