Author Topic: Why are my cuticles shredding? CONCLUSION  (Read 1014 times)

Maria3667

• Cultivating a 'dry' sense of humor.
Why are my cuticles shredding? CONCLUSION
« on: November 14, 2018, 06:05:46 AM »
Does anyone know how to ward of shredding cuticles? First I thought it was vitamine A deficiency but supplementing for 2 weeks has bought no relief. Walking about with band aids on my fingers all the time feels a bit childish and unflattering  :o
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 03:13:31 AM by Maria3667 »
51. DES-daughter ('67), Lyme's ('98), GAD ('98), Sjogren's ('03), hypothyroid ('04), endometriosis ('14), osteoarthritis ('16), blepharitis ('18), frozen shoulder ('19). Meds: pilocarpine, T3&T4, 25mg quetiapine, low dose testosterone & progesterone. Allergies: nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

Judes

Re: Why are my cuticles shredding?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 07:46:28 AM »
Mine do too, I just assumed it's part of the overall dryness we experience. I just keep rubbing lotion on them and oils. My nails are so brittle and flaky now too, and I used to have such nice long nails :(

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 10:25:58 PM »
My first thought is that Sjogrens is a connective tissue disease and that the tissues of cuticles have been affected. I go through periods of having really sore cuticles and will try different creams that tend to protect and firm up the cuticles. Just a thought but the Bee Balm hand products might be protective and healing for the cuticles. Good luck. Irish

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 05:14:46 AM »
My cuticles have always been difficult, with frequent 'hang nails' and the shredding mentioned here.

My cuticles suffer much less damage when I have my artificial nails.  My natural nails have always been fragile, easy broken and flaking, with shredded cuticles.  I was always embarrassed by my hands.

And any activity involving my hands put my cuticles more at risk of contact with objects.  Slipping my fingers into the files to look for something in the drawer in my desk, several times a day, when I as working, always hurt my cuticles, unless I was wearing the stronger and longer artificial nails.

I do agree that the problem with your cuticles is probably the result of dryness.  Perhaps a supplement with fish oil might help?

Regards, Elaine

Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

Maria3667

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 03:55:43 PM »
Thanks for your tips, everyone.

I already use vitamine E oil and it seems to help somewhat.
Also take high dose fish oil - 3.000 mg - but it seems to no avail.

This condition however strongly reminds me of the last week before my period was due. I would always get the telltale sign of shredding cuticles and painful little purpura spots on my fingers (for lack of better phrasing). So maybe it's an indicator estrogen is going down-dowwn-dowwwn....

51. DES-daughter ('67), Lyme's ('98), GAD ('98), Sjogren's ('03), hypothyroid ('04), endometriosis ('14), osteoarthritis ('16), blepharitis ('18), frozen shoulder ('19). Meds: pilocarpine, T3&T4, 25mg quetiapine, low dose testosterone & progesterone. Allergies: nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 10:36:52 PM »
Purpura on our body is usually a sign that we need to see the doctor.. It could be nothing, but many times docs will do blood work to check out for autoimmune issues that show up as purpora on our skin. You sound like you do't haves much, but it is usually something that is not the norm. Lete us know if you find anything out about the purport and the cuticles. Irish

Maria3667

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 11:53:18 PM »
Hi Irish,

I always felt it was unusual too... Fortunately I don't get the purpura anymore as I'm in menopause now.

Maria3667

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 03:42:15 AM »
Hi everyone,

Quite by accident I stubbled upon the cure. Last month my dry eyes became so painful I was prepared to drink horse pee to cure it! Fortunately it didn't come to that as I dug up a scientific paper from 2007 claiming progesterone rubs on the eyelids 2x daily could treat inflammation in the eye. And it truly works!!

But what a surprise, because a week later, my cutticles have healed completely too... Who would have thought that?

So the culprit has to be progesterone deficiency, which is not such a wild guess as I'm in menopause since hitting my 50th birthday last year.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 04:17:41 AM by Maria3667 »

SjoGirl

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 12:31:43 PM »
Interesting, not so much my cuticles, but my nails have been shredding. I'm sure it's due to the cold and probably worsening Raynauds during the winter months (less circulation less stimulation for the skin and nails I figure). Maybe I'll try one of the rubs, where did you find it?
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

Maria3667

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 01:48:13 PM »
Hi Sjo,

So far I haven't noticed any effects from the cold yet - even though I do not like cold weather / wind because it will dry out facial skin. As for my fingers, I have my gloves on the ready from September onwards... lol ...

The weird thing with the progesterone is, I rub it onto my eyelids and not the cuticles, but it does the trick nonetheless! The brand I use is Pro-gest (Emerita), 2x daily.

Maria3667

Re: Why are my cuticles shredding? CONCLUSION
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 03:11:42 AM »
After a stop-and-go trial for about 5 months continuous use of Progesterone and a 10 days abstaining period, I can now definitely conclude Progesterone is the culprit.

During the 10 days, not only did my cuticles start shredding badly again, also eye- and mouth dryness worsened significantly.

So my initial assumption that low estrogen was to blame is WRONG!

Adding Progesterone to my daily treatment, improved the situation within a few days.

I hope being my own guinea pig is not only for the sake of my own betterment, but hopefully will benefit others too!

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 12:48:08 PM »
Maria, I had to laugh at you thinking of drinking horse pee.......never heard that on this site before.

I think that you should get ahold of some researchers and share your info with them. Took one person and a few months with on and off days of the oil. Probably they will think it is not very scientific but I sure as heck do. Good for you. I would assume that keeping the oiol out of the eye is a good idea.

Also, I am wondering if rubbing oil on any place ono the body would being about the same results. Irish

P.S. I am assuming you used a progesterone oil....can you tell us what you did use and how a person can get it. Over the counter, prescription, etc.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 12:50:49 PM by irish »

bluegardenia

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 04:01:27 PM »
following Maria suggestion I also use progesterone cream. pro gesta by emerita. I bought it on amazon. I am quite scared about hormones so I use less than Maria but I noticed some more moisture
60,primary sjs, diverticulosis,ibs,atrioventricular blocks 2 degree first type, acid reflux.
omeoprazole, vit c, flack seed, omega 3, b complex, nac,systane ultra, pineapple seeds

Sharon

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 05:10:44 PM »
I have tried rubbing progesterone cream on my eyelids (Emerita) at night quite a few times
and always get the same result:
I wake up with my eyelids extremely swelled up.
Eyes remain dry.
At first I thought this was an allergic response to something in the cream.
However I now believe it is because the progesterone causes my eyelids to retain fluids.
Unfortunately, those fluids remain in my eyelids and don't travel downwards into my eyes.   ???

I am wondering: Is there such a thing as progesterone eye drops (which are administered directly into the eye)?
Sjogren's (+ RA?) positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA salivary gland swelling, dry mouth & eyes,, eyelid swelling & redness, photosensitivity, fatigue, severe joint pain, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions 
Orencia, Restasis, Paleo Diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 200mg, Omega 3...

SjoGirl

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2019, 07:48:38 AM »
I have found a nail product which has helped enormously with my nails shredding, it's called Nailtex and there is one version of it that is called hydrate. Since I started using it my nails have mostly been beautiful. They are growing and look healthy. I do still have some shredding but that is mostly when I don't use hand lotion after washing my hands.

Glad you found an answer. I took a Progesterone replacement for a while which was given to me by a holistic practitioner. I could not keep taking it because I became very aggressive after a while. It's good to know it works for you.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.