Author Topic: Blepharitis??  (Read 285 times)

mollie carey

Blepharitis??
« on: November 08, 2018, 10:06:23 PM »
I'm looking for some help regarding my eyes. I've been working making vintage windows for Christmas with a very fine powder glitter for about two weeks and is was getting into my eyes and I did not know it and I have very dry eyes after a couple weeks I noticed that my eyes were swelling and very red and burning and I went to an ophthalmologist who said I had dry eyes and that was from Sjogren's and also might be a candidate from plugs and Restasis. He said if it did not calm down in two weeks that this could be more of a manifestation of my disease. It is still going on. My eyes are Burning puffy, red, sometimes itchy and just don't look like my eyes. I have read up on blephatis and started washing my eyes with Johnson's baby soap mixed with water and doing hot water compresses and they put me on TopraDex, because they thought maybe it was an infection, but I have read it helps with blepharitis, because it has an antibiotics and steriods in it. Does anyone have this chronically or episodes of it and if so what happens and how do you deal with it?

Thanks!

Sjogrens, lupus, Hashimotos, CVID

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Re: Blepharitis??
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 05:51:14 AM »
Dear Mollie,

I was diagnosed with blepharitis in 2010, by an ophthalmologist.  I didn't even know I had it.

Fast forward almost 9 years:  My eyes burn and are sticky in the mornings.  I always use a hot washcloth to clean my eyes and soothe them.

I haven't had complications of blepharitis that I know of, and I haven't ever sought professional help.

My eyelashes first started to curl!  I thought that was nice, because I didn't try to curl them, but it looked nice.

My eyes lashes then began to disappear.  Both lower and upper lashes are almost gone, and the eyes lashes that are left are very short.  I have always used eye make up when going 'out' (in public).
Now there isn't much point, but I keep trying.  "Vanity, thy name is Elaine" it seems.

Evidently damage to the cornea is possible (but rare) with blepharitis:

https://online.epocrates.com/diseases/57452/Blepharitis/Complications

The article from Mayo Clinic is comprehensive on the  subject of blepharitis:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/blepharitis/symptoms-causes/syc-20370141

Best wishes,

Elaine

Female-76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-IBS-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO, Intertrigo,Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-FishOil

lorigacc

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 07:16:07 AM »
Had an episode with it about 2 years ago. It was miserable.  I was on vacation at the time and traveled to New Hampshire to see the foliage. I spent half of the time with either having my eyes completely closed and trying to avoid any movement, or with two pairs of sunglasses on to try to block out all light.  I used my eye drops (at the time was Restasis and Refresh PM gel) and warm washcloths.  When I returned home, I went to the opthamologist and started Xiidra eye drops. Also kept using the gel at night. Things got a lot better at that point and I haven't had any blepharitis issues since.....Just the regular dry eyen issues ;)  I am also very careful with my eyes, no makeup, no air conditioning blowing on my face, no wind in my face....etc.  I hope things get better for you, I remember how miserable it was.
Secondary Sjogrens, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Antiphospholipid Syndrome, Osteoporosis, Vertebral Compression Fractures, Kyphosis, Hiatal hernia
   Plaquenil, Forteo injections, Restasis, Prinivil, Ecotrin, Calcium, Vitamin D, Probiotic, Fish Oil

mollie carey

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 08:05:13 AM »
I noticed that air blowing my face from the purifier and heater upstairs really makes them worse.

mollie carey

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 08:12:52 AM »
My episode started with working with fine powder glitter and I kept blowing it off the page stupidly not realizing it was getting in my eyes, Docl just thought it was just an inflammation of my eyes from irritation but it is been two weeks and they're more than cleaned out, and the issue actually seems to be game worse or staying the same.

araminta

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 08:20:22 AM »
Well I had great success with this after Blue Gardenia on this forum recommended tea tree oil.   I too was suffering badly with blepharitis, the optician recommended Blephasol and hot compresses, which had no effect.   I put up with it for months.

What to do:  make a 10:1 solution of saline (or I use rosewater) and tea tree oil.   To be clear:  10 spoons of water to one spoonful of tea tree oil.   Keep that in a bottle.  When you want to use it, shake bottle, and in a saucer mix 1 teaspoon of the mixture with 5 more spoons of saline.  Warm for a few seconds in microwave, don't let it get too hot.  Using a q-tip, gently stroke mixture round inner rim of upper and lower eyelids.   This cleared my blepharitis up in a matter of days.   I still do the treatment every 3-4 days in case it starts to come back.

If you have a very sensitive skin maybe dilute the tt oil a bit more.   Hope this is some help.
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

mollie carey

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 10:04:18 AM »
do you buy this tea tree oil at the health store, is it an actual oil?

mollie carey

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 02:19:18 PM »
Also can anyone explain the mite connection to this? I have read a bunch of posts about it and I am not grasping it, do mites cause this? and how would you know?

bluegardenia

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 05:33:45 PM »
hi, I suggest you to try what Araminta explained. I am in Italy and I find tee tree oil at the pharmacy.i think that in the States you can find it at CVS or chemist. this works very well for me, much better than antibiotics. I had  blepharitis one month ago after years and it went away  cleaning my eyes with that solution three times a day. remember that water must be very hot, as hot as you  can hold the pads, ciao
60,primary sjs, diverticulosis,ibs,atrioventricular blocks 2 degree first type, acid reflux.
omeoprazole, vit c, flack seed, omega 3, b complex, nac,systane ultra, pineapple seeds

araminta

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 04:12:57 AM »
Demodex mites can be the cause of blepharitis - you would need a very good magnifier to see them.   Or it can be a bacterial infection.   Either way tea tree oil seems to be effective.

I'm not quite sure how the glitter comes into all this.  Maybe that's a somewhat different problem.   I wonder if some of the little bits are still in your eyes?
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

Sharon

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 05:22:03 PM »
I was mistakely diagnosed with blepharitis that turned out to be a cascade of inflammation and allergic conjunctivitis triggered by SS and its "gift" of dryness. Many things trigger the allergic aspect and that may be at least part of what you have going on.
Glitter is also ridiculously difficult to get rid of completely. Have you had an eye doc flip your eyelid to check for any specks?
You could try Zaditen eye drops in preservative-free vials to see if they help. If they do, it's allergy related.
Sjogren's (+ RA?) positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA salivary gland swelling, dry mouth & eyes,, eyelid swelling & redness, photosensitivity, fatigue, severe joint pain, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions 
Orencia, Restasis, Paleo Diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 200mg, Omega 3...

mollie carey

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2018, 08:11:20 PM »
I did the tea tree oil and it stung very bad, but after using twice yesterday and once today my eyes are much better, like 40% or more. I am confused as to why this helps and why is tings so much?

araminta

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 04:25:26 AM »
Mollie - glad to hear the tea tree oil helped.   If it stings badly perhaps you should dilute it a bit more.

Sometimes we have more than one thing going on, perhaps there is infection but also still some tiny pieces of glitter in your eye.   Or as Sharon says it could be an allergy.   

Some time ago I was sanding a ceiling prior to painting it, and a tiny flake of paint got into my eye.   I knew there was something in there but could never see it (it was white paint).   Several weeks later it came out of its own accord.

bluegardenia

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 03:32:46 PM »
great! in a little cup you have to pour two fingers of hot water and ONE DROP OF Tea tree, this should be fine, its really the best
60,primary sjs, diverticulosis,ibs,atrioventricular blocks 2 degree first type, acid reflux.
omeoprazole, vit c, flack seed, omega 3, b complex, nac,systane ultra, pineapple seeds

jazzlover

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 04:37:45 PM »
The tea tree oil is VERY strong. I don't tolerate it AT ALL. Good idea to dilute it.

It must have killed some of the mites.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease