Author Topic: Gabapentin and blurred vision  (Read 147 times)

Carebear

Gabapentin and blurred vision
« on: November 06, 2018, 09:38:34 AM »
Hello friends,

Gabapentin has restored my life to some degree since starting taking it nearly one year ago.

But lately my vision has been blurred,  off and on.  Yesterday I had double vision for a short time - like a ghosting we would once see on our old television screens.  Ha ha!  A reference some of you will not get.

I have extremely dry eyes.  So this may be the cause.   Or is it the gabapentin?   And how can I even determine which it is?

I don't use plaquenil so this in not a factor.

Doggone it.  It is always something.   
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Re: Gabapentin and blurred vision
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 04:44:27 PM »
Dear Carebear, Yes it's always something. 

My husband pointed out that in addition to progress of the neurological components of my life, I can in fact develop a completely UNRELATED condition. 

Yeah that was so cheerful!  But it's true.

Now I take 4200 mg of Gabapentin a day.   It keeps me sane since I have broken nerves in the skin of my upper body, which send signals that my skin is burning, and that needles are stabbing into my fingertips.

But I have had meds completely 'turn on me' (Cymbalta recently).

Do some research, maybe see an ophthalmologist?  I don't know.  I've had to do lots of trial and error around meds.

Gabapentin helps my nerve misery, but it is Low Dose Naltrexone that makes my severe osteoarthritis bearable.

I hope all goes well for you, dear Carebear.

Regards, Elaine
Female-76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-IBS-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO, Intertrigo,Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-FishOil

rnathans

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 07:41:08 PM »
My guess is it is the dry eyes. The dryer my eyes the blurrier my vision. My eye doctor says dry eyes causes blurry vision

Carebear

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 03:40:54 PM »
Thank you for your kind replies.  Sometimes I just need to reach out for some support from folks who get it.

Both eyes have routinely registered 0 or 1 on the Schirmer test so dry eyes may be the culprit.  I do so much to manage this but I never make any headway.

The double vision is only in my left eye, which is in early stages of developing a cataract.  So it may be that too.

It's time for an eye examination to start with and if required, a follow up with my ophthalmologist.  I moved since my last optometrist exam which I will need to hunt down someone new.

Just too many of my parts are in need of repair these days! 
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 11:18:12 PM »
I don't take the gabapentin, but I have some other issues that cause the double vision. One of the things my docs want to know is what time of the day the double vision begins, does it improve during the day or get worse. Is it always worse at night? etc.

Do you notice increased double vision in the hour or so after taking your gabapentin. I would think that a new dose would increase the symptom. Just some thoughts. I have the cataract thingy going on also but my major cause of double vision is my myasthenia gravis which gets worse throughout the day because of fatigue of my muscles. Anyone can have plain old muscle fatigue with these autoimmune diseases that could result in double vision. Worth a discussion also. Good luck. Irish