Author Topic: Let's talk about the weather .....  (Read 5169 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Re: Let's talk about the weather .....
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2018, 05:59:22 AM »
Irish - I saw online that MN had gotten some snow.   :(  It seems too early for snow already!  Here in Central IL we had some snow flurries on Friday but they didn't amount to anything.  Strange sight to look out the window at work and see golf carts lined up and it snowing!!

My son lives in the country and walked out to his shop around 6am today and he said it was blowing a little lizard at that time. This does make me nervous as we could have a bad winter to make up for the heat this summer. We have had a lot of rain in Sept in our part of MN and the farmers are having problems getting the crops in.

Wow, it blows "lizard" in MN?  :o  I'd like to see a picture of that!   ;D  ha ha

We've had a lot of rain here too in IL and many fields of crops are still standing to be harvested.  Thankfully, they got our soybean field the beginning of October.

Irish - I hope you don't have a really bad winter this year.  One good thing, you don't have to shovel snow where you live now - you can just sit with your cup of hot chocolate and look out the window.

Take care - I think of you often.  Thank you for all you do for Sjogren's World - we are blessed to have you on staff.  (insert heart icon here) 

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2018, 11:49:28 PM »
I went for my 3rd iron infusion today and haas a 25 mile drive both ways. It was so beautiful out. There is so much corn to be harvested yet and the golden acres were so pretty. There is still a lot of oats out also. The wind was blowing quite hard so that is good as it dries out the crops and the ground so the farmers can get the harvesting done.

Just to let you know that it has snowed earlier than this in MN. I do't remember the year but probably the early to mid 80's it snood around the first week or so of October and I think it was about 7+  inches. It was so thick on the pine trees and all the other trees and I was out walking around enjoying it. It melted but not as fast as the rain the other day.

I do have a nice view out my windows. I have 3 windows that overlook the back yard and all the pine trees and other trees. My building is a one story and is in a U shape with a a large garage in the back of it. The wind hardly gets back there so I do't get cold in my apartment and have electric heat. I bet I keep my apartment among the coolest cause you know how warm we stogies are.

Just cross your fingers the nice weather holds folks. Always glad to see you posting Bucky cause you keep things interesting for us. :) Irish

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2018, 01:09:13 PM »
Once again, we here in the U.S., have been hit with devastating weather in recent weeks.  Floods, snow/ice, and fires that displaced many, many people and claimed homes, businesses and sadly, lives.   :'(

It seems like for years the far West coast - California especially, has had dry, drought spells.  This isn't the first large fire the state of CA has experienced this year - but, I believe it is the worst the state of CA has ever had.  If there was some way to send them the torrential rain that falls in other states that are already dealing with too much rain.  If it could somehow balance out - unfortunately, it doesn't.

There are so many areas that are picking up the pieces of what's left after hurricanes, floods, and fires.  This year has been a very difficult year for many, many people.

I know we have members that live in CA - I hope that you are okay.  In all the stress of the situation, please take care of yourself as best you can, stress and Sjogren's don't mix well at all. 

My thoughts and prayers are with all those who are affected by the fury of Mother Nature (and unfortunately, sometimes the negligence of mankind causing devastating results).

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2018, 08:56:14 PM »
Here we go again . . . . here in the Midwest we are dealing with blizzard conditions tonight.  It started out as rain and has since changed over to snow.  The winds are whipping the snow around causing whiteout conditions for those driving. Those traveling by plane are stranded at airports with cancelled flights.

Here in Central, IL there are different snow forecast amounts, I've heard anywhere from 3-8" for where I live. On the news just now the snow plows are even getting stuck and they've pulled some trucks off the road and closed roads stranding motorists who are out in this weather tonight.

It's so important to pay attention to weather forecasts in the winter months and if you do venture out, that you are prepared with a winter travel kit in your vehicle that contains: a blanket, gloves, hat, boots, snacks, water, shovel, ice scraper & snow brush, and to keep your car gassed up.  For us Sjoggies, it's also important to have any medicines you have to take daily to have them with you if you are heading out in bad weather just in case you are delayed or have to seek shelter for the night somewhere.

I'm suppose to work tomorrow, but thankfully, my job is flexible and it's not a big deal if I don't go in tomorrow, I can go in on Tuesday.  I'll see what things look like in the morning.  Our power keeps flickering this evening and there are many already without power on this cold, snowy Sunday evening.  Thankfully, we have a generator if the power does go out (best money we ever spent since we live in a rural area where our power is restored last after everyone else has theirs back on).

If you are having winter weather this evening as we wind up the weekend, especially since a lot of people are heading home from the Thanksgiving holiday, be safe in your travels.

Bucky

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2018, 12:04:05 PM »
Hello - the blizzard is over . . . this time around.   ;)  I would guess we got about 4" where I live.  If you go a little farther North or South, the numbers change.  I live near the Illinois River and it seems whenever Mother Nature comes through when she hits the water, she will sometimes split and head North or South and not continue on across the river to the East - which is perfectly fine with me!!

I did go into work on Monday - schools was cancelled, so there weren't all the students on the roads, so there wasn't much traffic. 

As of yesterday, there were still areas without power.  We never did lose power even though our lights kept flickering all night.

For those of you that live in snow country, now is the time to get everything ready for the snowy wintry months ahead.  Make sure your vehicles are checked and ready to roll - batteries, tires, windshield wipers, windshield fluid, brakes, etc.

For me, 2018 has just flown by, I'm hoping the winter of 2018-19 goes by just as fast!!  In fact, if it wanted to skip IL altogether, I'm all for it!!   ;D

What's the weather like where you live? 

Bucky

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2018, 11:14:43 AM »
I think at one time we had a few members who lived in Alaska, not sure if they still come to our site or not.

Yesterday (Nov. 30th), Anchorage, Alaska had a 7.0 earthquake.  From the news reports I've seen, it did quite a bit of damage to roads, homes and businesses.  I've heard that Alaska is the most active earthquake state here in the U.S.A.

I've only felt an earthquake twice in my life.  In both of those instances, the center of the earthquake was in another state, so we didn't get the full impact of the quake.

This past week California has finally got some rain - which is something they definitely needed, however, now after all the big fires they've just had, this rain is causing mud slides and flooding on top of the devastation of the damage from the fires. The rain has hampered efforts to continue to search for remains of missing people from the fires.  :(

Bucky

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2018, 08:16:12 PM »
Here in IL we've had back-to-back weekends of active weather.  The weekend before last, we had a blizzard a day after we had beautiful fall weather.  This past weekend, there were 27 confirmed tornadoes throughout the state on Saturday.  There is never a "good" time for extreme weather conditions, but it seems the winter months are really difficult as you are not only dealing with damage to homes and businesses and trying to literally pick up the pieces of your life, but you are dealing with cold weather, snow, and rain. 

As is the case with all the various towns and cities that are affected by severe weather or situations, the communities pull together and there is neighbor helping neighbor and volunteers pitching in to help.

My husband and I have gotten the "gather things up to head to the basement" preparedness down to a science.  Thankfully, we've never had to retreat to the basement, but we do prepare "just in case" as we listen to the weather reports on TV and see the storms getting closer to our home.  I hope each of you have a "plan" in place before you are actually "in the moment" and needing to seek shelter.

Whatever the weather is like where you live, I hope you stay safe when stormy weather rolls through.

Bucky

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2018, 10:14:00 AM »
Woo hoo!

We have snow before Christmas, and 6 inches at that.  This of course paralyzes our area (Raleigh) completely.  Everything will be closed for at least two days, school mostly likely 4 days.

Yes, I know, this is amazing to those of you who live with snow on a regular winter basis.  But there are no snowplows to speak of here.

In fact, the local TV station had a person on camera following a snow plow this morning.  A real snow plow!

It is forecast to stay cold here (not going up to 80 like it did two weeks ago), so there will be frozen stuff on the ground and streets for the foreseeable future.

Fortunately we have power.  Yes, six inches of snow takes out the power in some areas here, honestly.

The falling barometer is making my poor joints and bones hurt badly, so I hope things improve soon.

Regards,  Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3