Author Topic: Yeast infection (s)  (Read 857 times)

Nomad

Yeast infection (s)
« on: October 23, 2018, 08:46:36 PM »
Ladies only
Are we more prone to stubborn yeast infections?
I had a difficult one last summer, that did not respond to OTC treatment.
I got prescription 7 day Terconazole (sp?) cream. And this worked.
Recently, I had the same situation. OTC didn?t work. So, I got this cream again. It only helped slightly. So, now I?m taking Diflucan. Oral tab. One tablet today and one in two days.
I?m concerned.
Itching is primary symptom. Mostly in evening.
I was taking an inexpensive probiotic, but just switched to a better one for Wimen?s issues.
ANY insight or advice greatly appreciated.
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

Maria3667

• Cultivating a 'dry' sense of humor.
Re: Yeast infection (s)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 06:09:12 AM »
Hi Nomad,

Various things we eat or take as medicine could influence yeast growth in the body.

What really helped me was changing to a different type of herbal laxative - this on the advice of an enterologist. Also, hormones for anticonception (pill, coil, pessary) or antibiotics could be a contributing factor. Are you taking any of these?

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 06:12:46 AM by Maria3667 »
51. DES-daughter ('67), Lyme's ('98), GAD ('98), Sjogren's ('02), hypothyroid ('04), endometriosis ('14), osteoarthritis ('16), blepharitis ('18), frozen shoulder ('19). Meds: pilocarpine, thyroid meds, 25mg quetiapine, 10% testosterone. Allergies: nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 06:18:33 PM »
One thing to try is to stop taking the probiotic. It may be that this probiotic is stimulating the growth of a yeast that lives in your vagina. This sounds weird, but when I take too much probiotics or yogurt I get problems with loose stools. It took me a long time to figure this out. Remember that the probiotic will stimulate the growth of many of the bacteria and yeast in your body and sometimes what we think is therapeutic can be too much.

Also, you might be eating too much sugar and carbohydrates as they will cause the growth of yeast. Good luck. Irish

jazzlover

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 06:54:01 AM »
DIET ... LOOK AT YOUR DIET.

Also .. taking biotin helps me.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

Nomad

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 07:03:10 AM »
If my diet is contributing, it?s a bit of a surprise.
In January, I made a deal with myself...no dessert (sugar) with the exception of the following three days:
1. My birthday
2. Wedding anniversary
3. Christmas Day
I?ve stuck to it. The next one will be Christmas Day, when I will allow myself one portion of a dessert.

If I find myself badly craving something sweet, I have either fruit or a sugar free hot chocolate.

I am having more fruit than in the past. Can fruit be the culprit?

I am eating on the low carb side. I rarely eat flour. If I have potato or rice , I have a small portion only.

I am using more Truvia than ever. Can this be a problem?

I was on various dosages of prednisone for about two years recently. Mac dosage was 20 mg. Smallest dosage was 1 mg. I just got off the 1 mg about six weeks ago.

I think the Diflucan , cream and new probiotic is helping. I feel a little better. This has been horrible.

Do you think I should stop fruit completely? I think I should stop flour completely and am just about at that point. Maybe the prednisone and the sjogrens combined messed me up? Also, eating more fruit than in the past? (Although I?m eating less actual sugar)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 07:27:56 AM by Nomad »
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

SunshineDaydream

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 04:37:44 PM »
All cotton underwear is important. Anything else, such as nylon or polyester, can cause YIs.
Sjogren's, lupus, OAB and osteopenia
Rx: Evoxac and Myrbetriq
Vitamins and Supplements: A, B complex, C, D3, E, calcium orotate, magnesium glycinate, D-Mannose, curcumin, fish oil, probiotic

SunshineDaydream

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 10:08:47 PM »
And along the same vein, pants that are all or high percent cotton and not tight, or skirts or dresses. The lady parts need to breathe. :)
Sjogren's, lupus, OAB and osteopenia
Rx: Evoxac and Myrbetriq
Vitamins and Supplements: A, B complex, C, D3, E, calcium orotate, magnesium glycinate, D-Mannose, curcumin, fish oil, probiotic

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 07:08:00 AM »
Hi  :)

I used to get this a lot and yes - they were stubborn to get rid of. Had to treat hubby too. I eventually had to use Metranidazole to shift one (I think I've spelled that wrong - otherwise known as Flagyl)

I haven't had so many incidences since menopause. usually Canesten Cream and one tablet that comes in their dual dosage pack works.

Hope it clears soon. That itch is unbelievable!

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Lotus1

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 05:37:43 PM »
Hi

I use 1 teaspoon organic bicarb soda in water every night before bed & have conquered these infections it seems.
Should probably use some during the day, spread out dose.

Also I mostly don't consume refined sugar, yeast, gluten/wheat & eat no more than 2 fruits a day.

The old saying "you have to be cruel to be kind" seems true if you want to feel healthier.

Hope this is helpful!

Lotus1

lizk

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 03:50:14 AM »
Hi Nomad and everyone else on this thread,

Oh man, yeast infections! That was my first clue that something was wrong with me. Around age 28/29, I was plagued by yeast. I became very friendly with my gyno. Sometimes it would switch to BV. That gyno was the one who told me that something was up with my immune system and encouraged me to go to my primary care doc for bloodwork. That discovered a very low white blood cell count and I was eventually diagnosed with Sjogren's.

At any rate, I always ask my docs for 3-5 Diflucan when I get a yeast infection. I can't knock it out with just 1. I've even used a cream, which I think was Nystatin. I've learned that it just takes awhile, but I can get through a stubborn yeast infection. Cold compresses can help. I avoid tight anything.

What I also learned was that I was incredibly dry, which was the biggest problem. I started using Replens every day for a few months and I was able to get back to normal. I don't have to use Replens like this anymore, but it's in my arsenal in case things feel off.

I hope this helps!

Deb 27

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 06:36:05 AM »
Make sure it's really a yeast infection by going to your doctor or ARNP first. It might be something else. Also get checked for diabetes. Frequent bladder and yeast infections can be a symptom of diabetes. I always heard probiotics would help yeast infections. Never heard they might be feeding the yeast.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.